News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: signalman on April 10, 2019, 01:21:15 PM
The "open for business" slogan implies that the state/province cares more about business than its citizens.

I am not sure if that's a good thing to imply, nor am I sure that a licence plate is the best spot for it.

signalman

Quote from: webny99 on April 10, 2019, 10:13:38 PM
The "open for business" slogan implies that the state/province cares more about business than its citizens.

I am not sure if that's a good thing to imply, nor am I sure that a licence plate is the best spot for it.
It belongs on neither welcome signs nor license plates.

7/8

Quote from: renegade on April 10, 2019, 01:05:28 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 09, 2019, 10:38:28 PM
Open for business? As opposed to what, a centralized fascist government that controls the means of production ("get lost")?

Dumb slogan. Used by various US states as well. I hate them all.
"Open for Business" will only show up on a relatively small number of vehicles.  Passenger cars, which make up the vast majority of plates issued, will say "A Place to Grow."

Some people in Ontario seem to be bent out of shape about that.  I don't think it's a bad slogan.  A website URL, like we have in Michigan, would be worse.

But Doug's slogan is "For the People" :bigass:

Steering away from politics, I think "A Place to Grow" is a perfectly good slogan, but "Open for Business" is definitely tacky. I'm more interested in what will happen with front plates. I kind of like having them since seeing a car without one is a signal for me to check their rear plate to see where they're from. I would prefer cars to be built with front plates in mind so we wouldn't have the problem of not having a good spot to put them on the front. But I can't deny that some cars will look a lot better without them, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

kphoger

I once had to explain to a local cop at a traffic checkpoint in a Mexican town the reason my car had no front license plate was that my state doesn't issue them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2019, 02:31:52 PM
I once had to explain to a local cop at a traffic checkpoint in a Mexican town the reason my car had no front license plate was that my state doesn't issue them.
I have never had that problem even in states that use them.

Flint1979

These are a few of the old license plates that I've kept over the years that I've had. The Michigan plate on top is still widely seen.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 11, 2019, 02:38:57 PM

Pertinent portion highlighted above.  Every state in Mexico has front license plates.  And these were local cops, not federales.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

One would hope that police forces in the US are far better trained than this--I have certainly found this to be the case--but I have had civilians in states that issue front license plates look at the front of my Kansas-plated car (rear plate only) and then glare at me as if I were some kind of outlaw.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Brandon

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 11, 2019, 05:46:19 PM
One would hope that police forces in the US are far better trained than this--I have certainly found this to be the case--but I have had civilians in states that issue front license plates look at the front of my Kansas-plated car (rear plate only) and then glare at me as if I were some kind of outlaw.

Shoot, I've had Chicagoans look at me like I'm some kind of outlaw for not having a municipal sticker on the windshield on my car.  Not every municipality in Illinois issues them.  My own, Joliet, does not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

GreenLanternCorps

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2019, 03:32:21 PM

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 11, 2019, 02:38:57 PM

Pertinent portion highlighted above.  Every state in Mexico has front license plates.  And these were local cops, not federales.

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 11, 2019, 05:46:19 PM

Not the same.  In both the USA and Canada, it's a mixed bag as to states/provinces/territories issuing or not issuing front license plates.  Chances are slim that any local cop in the USA hasn't seen dozens of cars from states that don't issue front plates.

But imagine if it were the other way around.  Imagine if every state in the USA had front license plates, and it were Mexico that's a mixed bag.  Oh yeah, and imagine that the two most populous Mexican states bordering the USA did issue front plates.  And then imagine a local cop in a town the size of Hutchinson sees a Mexican car in town with no front license plate.  Surely, then, you wouldn't think the cop's ignorance was a sign or poor training, would you?

That's the way it was for me.  Every state in Mexico issues front plates.  Of the four states that border Mexico, California and Texas account for nearly 90% of the population, and both of them issue front plates; Texas is the only state that borders the one I was in.  I was in a town of 45k people, a town which is not along any long-distance highway corridor, 300 miles from the border.  It was a street-side checkpoint in the middle of town manned by local cops.  Mine might very well have been the first car from the USA he'd ever dealt with.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2019, 07:50:16 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 11, 2019, 05:46:19 PMOne would hope that police forces in the US are far better trained than this--I have certainly found this to be the case--but I have had civilians in states that issue front license plates look at the front of my Kansas-plated car (rear plate only) and then glare at me as if I were some kind of outlaw.

Not the same.  In both the USA and Canada, it's a mixed bag as to states/provinces/territories issuing or not issuing front license plates.  Chances are slim that any local cop in the USA hasn't seen dozens of cars from states that don't issue front plates.

The two cases are similar in that you are dealing with people who have no concept that the procedure can be different in another jurisdiction.

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2019, 07:50:16 PMBut imagine if it were the other way around.  Imagine if every state in the USA had front license plates, and it were Mexico that's a mixed bag.  Oh yeah, and imagine that the two most populous Mexican states bordering the USA did issue front plates.  And then imagine a local cop in a town the size of Hutchinson sees a Mexican car in town with no front license plate.  Surely, then, you wouldn't think the cop's ignorance was a sign of poor training, would you?

Actually, yes, I would.  When you see a vehicle that facially appears to be registered in another jurisdiction, you have to be very careful to ensure you have a correct understanding of that jurisdiction's requirements before you attempt to enforce them.  I do agree that there are many Kansans who would not object at all to a cop in Hutchinson jumping on a vehicle registered in a Mexican state even when it turned out that it was fully compliant in that state.  I say this because I have seen at least one person I went to high school with rant and rave on Facebook about how Spanish speakers get to jump the queue at the driver licensing office.

On this forum, we have had some discussion in the past of DC cops enforcing immatriculation requirements on out-of-state vehicles.  I do not think they should be in the business of doing this at all.  It is difficult to keep up with changes in statute law, let alone administrative procedure, in all fifty states, and it is only distantly connected to their core responsibility of dealing with crime within DC itself.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 12, 2019, 11:07:06 AM
Actually, yes, I would.  When you see a vehicle that facially appears to be registered in another jurisdiction, you have to be very careful to ensure you have a correct understanding of that jurisdiction's requirements before you attempt to enforce them.  I do agree that there are many Kansans who would not object at all to a cop in Hutchinson jumping on a vehicle registered in a Mexican state even when it turned out that it was fully compliant in that state.  I say this because I have seen at least one person I went to high school with rant and rave on Facebook about how Spanish speakers get to jump the queue at the driver licensing office.
So a small-town Mexican cop in the interior that has likely never even dealt with an American car in his entire career is going to know that, unlike Mexico, some US states don't have front plates?  I don't recall when I found out that some states only have the rear plate, but it was definitely later than one would think given that NY borders PA and I have relatives from MI.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

corco

Quote from: vdeane on April 12, 2019, 12:53:19 PM
So a small-town Mexican cop in the interior that has likely never even dealt with an American car in his entire career is going to know that, unlike Mexico, some US states don't have front plates?  I don't recall when I found out that some states only have the rear plate, but it was definitely later than one would think given that NY borders PA and I have relatives from MI.

I've seen American cars abroad in both Mexico and Europe from non-front plate states where the car owner has made their own front plate for compliance purposes, presumably to avoid this issue.

I remember distinctly a very bad knockoff Arizona front plate on an Arizona registered car in Romania, for instance.

This may actually be required by the Vienna Convention of 1977 (of which European countries are all signatories and which Mexico observes) that requires the display of a front plate even if the originating jurisdiction did not issue one.

kphoger

For what it's worth...

In many Mexican states, if you are traveling on a temporary vehicle importation permit (required for all travel beyond the border zone), then your license plates don't even have to be valid anymore!  As long as they were valid when you got your permit, the expiration date on the permit counts as your registration expiration while in Mexico.  Of course, it's still not a good idea to let your tags expire while in Mexico because–even if you intend to renew them at the end of your permit–once you cross the border into the USA, your entire trip back home from there is on expired tags.

In a handful of other Mexican states, on the other hand, you are required to have valid US plates and a valid importation permit.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: vdeane on April 12, 2019, 12:53:19 PMSo a small-town Mexican cop in the interior that has likely never even dealt with an American car in his entire career is going to know that, unlike Mexico, some US states don't have front plates?  I don't recall when I found out that some states only have the rear plate, but it was definitely later than one would think given that NY borders PA and I have relatives from MI.

The small-town Mexican cop doesn't need to know about front-and-rear versus rear-only.  He just needs to know that the car appears to be from Kansas and the rules there are not necessarily the same as in Mexico.  (Notwithstanding Corco's comment, I really doubt the frame of reference of such a cop includes the Vienna convention and its requirements regarding front plates.)

I was probably 20 (driving for three years) when I realized that cars from other states had front plates that were legally required and not just for show, as is the case in Kansas with vanity plates.  The closest plate-issuing out-of-state jurisdiction to Wichita is Oklahoma, which is rear-only, but plates from Colorado, Nebraska, and Missouri (all front-and-rear) are decently common around here.  I was 21 when I got glared at right after parking my Kansas-registered car in Maryland.

jakeroot

On this forum, we have had some discussion in the past of DC cops enforcing immatriculation requirements on out-of-state vehicles.

By "immatriculation", you mean "registration"? I looked up the word, and everything I'm reading indicates that "immatriculation" is French for "registration".

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on December 28, 2018, 11:52:47 PM
Colorado has apparently started issuing new plates using an ABC-D12 sequence. I say "apparently" because to date, I've only seen them in person on special issue plates. At least previously, these plates, like all other plates, have been drawn from the same pool of combinations which until recently has been ABC-123. Special issue plates are flat process and made to order. However, I also saw on TV a shot of a police vehicle that had an embossed plate with a GVT code with a combination using this new sequence. It's almost sure, therefore, that in a short time, we will see standard passenger car plates using the same series.

The ABC-123 plates use the same sequence as plates issued around 1985-93, which have never been called in. They're rare, but you still see some on the road. At first, the new plates were issued using all the possible Q combinations, then the O combinations, neither of which would have been used in the original issuance. Then, they started in at AAA-001 and went forward. The intent was to simply skip any combination still in use on an earlier issue plate. But, I suspect that it has proven difficult to avoid existing plates, and a decision was made to stop issuing plates in the ABC-123 series some time in the mid D##- sequence and go to the new series.
And as of today I've seen the first general issue embossed plate using that sequence. What is even more surprising is that the fourth letter, which is in a position that the observer might expect to be a number, can be the letter O. I've seen plates with I and Q in that spot, but those are fairly easy to distinguish from a number. And, the letter O is made different from a 0 on Colorado plates. But, especially out of state, I would expect misidentification to be common. I wonder if automatic plate readers are programmed to distinguish those characters.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on April 12, 2019, 10:34:31 PM
On this forum, we have had some discussion in the past of DC cops enforcing immatriculation requirements on out-of-state vehicles.

By "immatriculation", you mean "registration"? I looked up the word, and everything I'm reading indicates that "immatriculation" is French for "registration".

I wondered what he meant by that word.

DC's enforcement is a little more complicated than just registration requirements. In Virginia, for example, the state safety inspection is not part of the registration process, but if you drive your Virginia-plated car in DC with an expired inspection sticker, you may get a ticket (and probably will if you park on the street). DC requires that all vehicles display two license plates but allows an exception for vehicles from jurisdictions that only issue one plate. I seem to recall a newspaper story some years ago about some state (I have no idea which) issuing two plates but only requiring the rear plate, which then led to someone from that state getting a ticket in DC for not displaying the front plate. (That's unjust, IMO.) Some really aggressive DC ticket-writers will nail you for "improper display of a license plate" if you put your plate stickers on incorrectly (example for Virginia: the year sticker on the left and the month sticker on the right), although most of them will let it go as long as they can see the expiration date.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

The dictionary definition of immatriculation is "an act, state, or process of being enrolled (as in an official register)."  I use it (instead of the word registration) in a broader sense to signify the totality of what is required to bring a vehicle to a condition where it can legally be operated or left on the public highway.  This includes:

*  Full compliance with all vehicle equipment requirements (type approval, FMVSS, state-required safety equipment, etc.)

*  Insurance, if the jurisdiction in which it is required mandates insurance to meet a financial responsibility standard

*  Registration, including keeping it current if the registering jurisdiction requires periodic renewal

*  Compliance with driver qualification requirements when the vehicle is being driven (driver has a license; driver is carrying the license with him or her if he or she is otherwise liable for citation or arrest on failure to produce a license immediately; insurance policy is valid when the car is being driven by that driver)

*  Compliance with any applicable emissions requirements

*  Compliance with any applicable anti-nuisance legislation (aimed at, e.g., noise, smoke)

*  If parked on the public highway, compliance with any applicable requirements, including those of a general character that are not signed, e.g. maximum time periods that are designed to prevent inoperable junkers being left on the street (Wichita has a 48-hour maximum)

*  Display or carriage of any legally required proofs of the foregoing

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 13, 2019, 11:23:38 AMI seem to recall a newspaper story some years ago about some state (I have no idea which) issuing two plates but only requiring the rear plate, which then led to someone from that state getting a ticket in DC for not displaying the front plate. (That's unjust, IMO.)

It is unjust, and it is also a perfect illustration of why DC should not be in the business of enforcing other states' requirements.  They should definitely focus on diplomatic vehicles, however.  Those are effectively locally registered since the State Department issues the plates, and if anything, diplomats should expect to see more stringent enforcement than the driving public at large to compensate for the moral hazard that diplomatic immunity creates.  And while I realize this is not under the control of the DC Police, the State Department should be quite aggressive about following up on diplomats whose lawbreaking while driving rises above the level of a traffic infraction to criminality.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: jakeroot on April 09, 2019, 10:38:28 PM
Open for business? As opposed to what, a centralized fascist government that controls the means of production ("get lost")?

Dumb slogan. Used by various US states as well. I hate them all.

Our former governor Scott Walker used the slogan for my state. I hated it.

Quote from: signalman on April 10, 2019, 10:34:24 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 10, 2019, 10:13:38 PM

It belongs on neither welcome signs nor license plates.

Agreed.
Forget the I-41 haters

paulthemapguy

I went on a bigger rant about the "open for business" "slogan" in another thread, but my position basically boils down to:  Every state has businesses. Put something on your welcome signs that talks about what's special about your state/province/region.
If you want to entice tourists/residents, talk about what your region has that will attract them, and furthermore, if you want to attract businesses, talk about what special incentives a business will have!  The slogan is indicative of a leadership that's too money-driven to see what is lovable about the place you live, and too dumb to realize that you can't just tell us that you can open a business here--you have to tell us WHY we SHOULD!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

roadfro

The 2019 Nevada Legislature has approved and sent to the governor two bills that would authorize two new specialty license plates: A "Vegas Strong" plate to memorialize victims of the 1 October shooting, and another limited-issue plate commemorating the centenary of women's suffrage in the U.S.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/2019-legislature/1-october-womens-suffrage-license-plates-pass-nevada-legislature-1666115/

EDIT to add quotes from article:
Assembly Bill 333 creates a special license plate to memorialize victims of the Oct. 1, 2017, Route 91 Harvest festival shooting that killed 58 and injured more than 800. Fees generated from the plates – $25 initially and $20 for renewals – will go to the Vegas Strong Resiliency Center, a resource center for those affected by the shooting.
<...>
The Senate also approved Assembly Bill 499, creating a limited-issue license plate commemorating the centenary of women's suffrage in the United States. Fees from the plate – $35 initially and $10 to renew – will benefit the Nevada Commission for Women.

The 19th Amendment, granting women the right to vote, was ratified Aug. 18, 1920. The Nevada Legislature is the first in the country to have a female majority.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

renegade

^^ Article linked above is hidden behind a paywall. ^^
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

roadfro

Quote from: renegade on May 18, 2019, 07:47:30 PM
^^ Article linked above is hidden behind a paywall. ^^

The LVRJ usually allows viewing of a few (3?) free articles per month. I just pulled the article up with no problem, using a browser I don't typically use and not logging in (just exit out of the subscription popup when the article loads).

In any event, I'll edit my original post to include some excerpts.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.