News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

April Fools Tuxedo Meet

Started by Alps, September 24, 2015, 09:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

When does Lake Welch Parkway open?  I'm thinking of clinching it on the way over, but I can't find anything more precise than "closed winters".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on October 19, 2015, 06:40:13 PM
When does Lake Welch Parkway open?  I'm thinking of clinching it on the way over, but I can't find anything more precise than "closed winters".
Probably depends on the winter. If it's as warm as they predict, you should have your chance.

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on October 19, 2015, 09:43:06 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 19, 2015, 06:40:13 PM
Probably depends on the winter. If it's as warm as they predict, you should have your chance.

Why do they close it during the winter, anyway?  Does it get frozen or something?

Also, I need to clinch that as well.  It's one of the three parkways in the tristate area that I haven't been on yet, down from four now that I got the Sunken Meadow at the meet a week and a half ago.

empirestate

So they don't have to plow it. It serves only intra-park traffic. And usually the "winter" dates are Dec. 1-Apr. 15 or something like that.

iPhone

vdeane

There's a sign posted at the end by Seven Lakes Dr, though it's really difficult to read: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2134195,-74.1224002,3a,15.3y,118.79h,83.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8V8AFqy4JHCSad5vulH-Qg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Arden Valley Rd appears to have been closed when street view drove by... would that have been for construction or something, or is that road seasonal too?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on October 20, 2015, 01:00:01 PM
There's a sign posted at the end by Seven Lakes Dr, though it's really difficult to read: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2134195,-74.1224002,3a,15.3y,118.79h,83.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8V8AFqy4JHCSad5vulH-Qg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Arden Valley Rd appears to have been closed when street view drove by... would that have been for construction or something, or is that road seasonal too?

There you go, Dec. 1-Apr. 1. New York has a lot of seasonal roads that, while not officially closed, are exempt from receiving maintenance (read: plowing) during winter months. Arden Valley Road is another of the Harriman parkways, so I'm sure it's in the same category; another is Sunken Mine Road through Fahnestock State Park.

vdeane

Good to know that it really does say Apr. 1.  Looks like I'll be scraping through by one day.  Hopefully conditions will be decent; this is a great chance to fill in some clinching holes.

Alps

The event page is now official. You can RSVP here if you don't have Facebook - or just show up! The meet "restaurant" is open air, so no reservations needed.

https://www.facebook.com/events/491842021023537/

noelbotevera

Tempting...I bet I can do a double whammy within one week (shortly after this, the Central PA meet).

Alps

The meet proper begins at 11:30, but there's a pre-meet at 10:00 in Nyack. Maybe it will cross the Tappan Zee and even pay cash one last time. Only one way to find out!

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on March 06, 2016, 10:01:18 PM
Maybe it will cross the Tappan Zee and slow down to pass through an E-ZPass lane at the toll booth one last time.

FTFY
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

According to Google Maps, Take a Break doesn't open until noon.  Yelp says it's closed weekends (the two don't agree on the weekday hours either, so it's possible they're both wrong).

noelbotevera

Hmm, it's hard. Nyack/Tuxedo is about four hours from here, and my dad hates long drives....I'm uncertain if I can attend, but I can try.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on March 11, 2016, 12:52:55 PM
According to Google Maps, Take a Break doesn't open until noon.  Yelp says it's closed weekends (the two don't agree on the weekday hours either, so it's possible they're both wrong).
I called them. They do in fact open at noon, but I don't mind calling the meet for 11:30. It's informal, so by the time they open we can all grab lunch and we'll be OK. Rather than call the meet for noon and end up with people showing up at 12:45. TBH half the time we stand outside for a half hour beyond the meet time anyway.

NJRoadfan

Just drove through Tuxedo on old NY-17 today on the way to Middletown. I wouldn't expect any of the parkways to be closed, no snow to worry about.

Alps

Lazy/forgetful one-week reminder! I've already heard from a lot of people. 10:00 at Memorial Park in Nyack, likely with a trip across the Zee for views from the Tarrytown side, then back to Tuxedo in the 11:30ish range for a 12:00 formal luncheon. No need to RSVP, but hope to see y'all there!

jpi

Have fun guys, looking forward to the pics! :nod: The see some of you guys at my meet the next weekend! :bigass:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Dougtone

We now have tickets to this extraordinary event...

dgolub

Right now, it's looking like it's going to rain on our parade tomorrow.  That sucks.  It seems to happen quite a bit on the days of meets, doesn't it?

oscar

Quote from: dgolub on April 01, 2016, 08:57:57 AM
Right now, it's looking like it's going to rain on our parade tomorrow.  That sucks.  It seems to happen quite a bit on the days of meets, doesn't it?

Might not be a coincidence, with something happening with the weather during the work week that sets up rain on weekends. I remember one summer many years ago where the sunny days were only during the work week, and every weekend was a rainout.

(I'm not going to this meet, just a possibly uninformed comment on weekend weather patterns.)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

Weather Underground has it as a small chance.  At least the temperatures are now 10 degrees warmer than the earlier forecasts were calling for.

PHLBOS

Quote from: oscar on April 01, 2016, 11:46:12 AMI remember one summer many years ago where the sunny days were only during the work week, and every weekend was a rainout.
Sounds like the Summer of 1986 (or 1987) in eastern Massachusetts.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

spooky

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 01, 2016, 02:25:52 PM
Quote from: oscar on April 01, 2016, 11:46:12 AMI remember one summer many years ago where the sunny days were only during the work week, and every weekend was a rainout.

I remember a summer around 2009 or 2010 that was similar.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: spooky on April 01, 2016, 02:35:05 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 01, 2016, 02:25:52 PM

I remember a summer around 2009 or 2010 that was similar.

I remember one here a little earlier in the 2000s.  People got all irate like they do.

Duke87

My reaction to the possibility that it might rain a little is *shrug*. They're not predicting downpours and we're not planning on doing any crazy amount of outdoor hiking.

I'll bring an umbrella and be fine.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.