News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

codyg1985

ALDOT is doing a preliminary advertisement for the next segment of I-20/59 to be widened around Tuscaloosa. It is from US 82 to where the current three lane section ends at Buttermilk Road.

What's interesting is that the I-20/59 bridges over McFarland will be replaced with a signature arch bridge over a new SPUI interchange.

Also, ALDOT appears to be going to implement a Smart Work Zone system to announce delays throughout the course of the project.

For those interested, the plans can be found at http://alletting.dot.state.al.us/WEBPROPS/2017/20170929/20170929_Call_004_plans.pdf (warning: Large 700 MB file)
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Voyager75

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 18, 2017, 07:27:28 AM
AL 300 and AL 301 are short connector routes which probably won't be signed. Maybe these AL 3xx routes are simply routes that are on the log books indicating that the state maintains them but will not be signed.

Coming home from the in-laws I noticed that AL-301 is now signed at Exit 191 on I-20. Didn't get to look to see if new signage was posted on the interstate itself.

I snagged a blurry pic

roadman65

What is the status of that planned I-10 Spur into Dothan?

I remember when one specific congressman or state legislator was running for office in the Dothan area back when I stayed there  back in 2010 overnight at a hotel on the TV, he said if he got elected he would get the much needed road ( I think its a toll road he said was being studied) built.

I also seen someone on here show a proposal of a planned freeway through Downtown Dothan instead of bypassing it, which seems odd, but considering that Missouri built some of I-70 across the state right through some cities like Columbia and Wentzville to a name a couple and so did Texas along I-30 where it dissects one city I drove through, it would not surprise me to cut a city in half. Even if it ends up like Syracuse in NY with them realizing that building an interstate right through town was not good several decades later and want to remove it, they would build the thing anyway. 

However, what is the status there?  Plus would FDOT build another toll road to connect with this to I-10?  Considering that FDOT never considered a freeway spur of I-10 to Panama City, a popular tourist destination, I doubt they would even want to help another state get commerce unless Dothan had something of interest that Florida could use.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

There's basically been no status for the past several years.

bigdave

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2017, 02:39:06 PM
What is the status of that planned I-10 Spur into Dothan?

I remember when one specific congressman or state legislator was running for office in the Dothan area back when I stayed there  back in 2010 overnight at a hotel on the TV, he said if he got elected he would get the much needed road ( I think its a toll road he said was being studied) built.

I also seen someone on here show a proposal of a planned freeway through Downtown Dothan instead of bypassing it, which seems odd, but considering that Missouri built some of I-70 across the state right through some cities like Columbia and Wentzville to a name a couple and so did Texas along I-30 where it dissects one city I drove through, it would not surprise me to cut a city in half. Even if it ends up like Syracuse in NY with them realizing that building an interstate right through town was not good several decades later and want to remove it, they would build the thing anyway. 

However, what is the status there?  Plus would FDOT build another toll road to connect with this to I-10?  Considering that FDOT never considered a freeway spur of I-10 to Panama City, a popular tourist destination, I doubt they would even want to help another state get commerce unless Dothan had something of interest that Florida could use.

There were many in the city that wanted the connector to run through downtown Dothan:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010201063200/http://www.savedothan.com:80/

In any case, much ado over nothing. I'd personally love to see US 231 upgraded to a freeway at least Montgomery to I-10, but I think it will never happen.

roadman65

It is a principal through route and has merit to become an interstate or even interstate type of roadway. 

IMO it should be one to Panama City in FL.  I always thought I-85 should really go there from Columbus, GA where it would break away from its current alignment and head south along I-185 then build a bridge across the river into AL and follow US 431 to Dothan and then along US 231 to Panama City and terminate.   I-16 could go further west of Macon following US 80 to someplace west of Phenix City, AL while the rest of I-85 in between would make a good x16 or x85 designation.  Heck if I-14 ever makes it east of Texas and goes to Augusta, GA it could use I-85 in AL instead.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Voyager75

Quote from: Voyager75 on November 05, 2017, 08:56:38 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on April 18, 2017, 07:27:28 AM
AL 300 and AL 301 are short connector routes which probably won't be signed. Maybe these AL 3xx routes are simply routes that are on the log books indicating that the state maintains them but will not be signed.

Coming home from the in-laws I noticed that AL-301 is now signed at Exit 191 on I-20. Didn't get to look to see if new signage was posted on the interstate itself.

I snagged a blurry pic

Went back over to the in-laws today and took a few more pics of now signed 0.2 mile AL-301. There are surprisingly new sign gantries installed on US 78 and South AL-301. Very well done and even a END AL-301 at I-20. No end signage at US-78. Also no mention of AL 301 on I-20 itself other than at the off ramp.

iPhone

Charles2

So, that means that AL-301 and AL-382 are now signed.  AL-378 isn't signed, but I wonder how much of that is due to the construction at US-78/AL-5 (Arkadelphia Road)?  Not sure if AL-300 is signed in Tuscaloosa County...been about a year since I've been down there.

mwb1848

I got my first chance to drive AL-208 between I-85 and AL-110 this weekend. This is the freeway stub which will eventually be part of the Outer Loop around Montgomery.

Does anybody know how the mileposts and exit numbers are being assigned on this roadway? Both I-85 and Vaughn Road (AL-110) are in the 20's. Would that assume a Zero MM at the point west of Montgomery from which the Outer Loop would diverge from US 80 near the Airport?

formulanone

Quote from: Charles2 on November 22, 2017, 07:37:03 PM
So, that means that AL-301 and AL-382 are now signed.  AL-378 isn't signed, but I wonder how much of that is due to the construction at US-78/AL-5 (Arkadelphia Road)?  Not sure if AL-300 is signed in Tuscaloosa County...been about a year since I've been down there.

As of yesterday, there are still no AL 300 shields in Fosters.

Tom958

Not in Athens, GA, but in Opelika, AL, about ten miles from the edge of Auburn University's campus. This is at US 431, a.k.a. Bulldog Parkway, and former US 29. The Dawgs are those of Opelika High School, not UGA.

bdmoss88

I was in west Alabama this past weekend and got a few pictures of grading for the US82 bypass of Gordo which has gotten underway recently.

West of Gordo where the 4 lane will head east from current US82, which runs SE to NW here.

Looking west from Pickens Co 30/Old 82

Looking east from Pickens Co 30/Old 82

Bridge supports at Pickens Co 30/old 82 so they are overpassing the road here. I don't know whether there will be direct access to the 4-lane from here or if it is just an overpass.

I didn't get pictures of the grading to the west of AL159 north of Gordo. I didn't see any work happening to the east of AL159 yet or on US82 to the east of Gordo. I would be interested to know if there is going to be direct access from PC30 to the 4-lane. If so then surely they are planning on grade separating AL159 too, which would be nice. I have assumed that they would do the US82-AL159 intersection like they ended up doing US82 and AL219 in Centreville with the U-turns.

froggie

^ I found an Army Corps of Engineers public notice on the project dated mid-2016.  There's a map on Page 6 that suggests (but can't tell for sure) access between the bypass and CR 30 would be via Church St.  The map also suggests that AL 159 will be realigned to the east to meet US 82 at a standard (and 90-degree-angle) 4-way intersection.

bdmoss88

Auburn may be getting a roundabout. Page 27 - Cox Rd-Wire Rd intersection improvements.

https://www.auburnalabama.org/budget/FINAL%20FY2017-FY2018%20Presentation.pdf

bdmoss88

Saw this posted on facebook just now with the caption "What's wrong with this picture?" LOL

freebrickproductions

I guess that's the scenic route to Huntsville. :bigass:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Charles2

Quote from: bdmoss88 on May 16, 2018, 08:48:43 PM
Saw this posted on facebook just now with the caption "What's wrong with this picture?" LOL

The good news:  https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/05/incorrect_sign_at_i-65_junctio.html

The bad news: The sign should have been thoroughly inspected before it was installed.

freebrickproductions

Really, all that would need to be done to fix it would be to mount an I-20 shield and an I-65 shield in the proper spots, either through greenout or by using physical shields.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Henry

I-65 West and I-20 North? Looks like someone was goofing off on the job!

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 16, 2018, 11:53:41 PM
Really, all that would need to be done to fix it would be to mount an I-20 shield and an I-65 shield in the proper spots, either through greenout or by using physical shields.
I'd simply detach the shields and reposition them to where they should be.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Henry on May 17, 2018, 09:36:41 AM
I-65 West and I-20 North? Looks like someone was goofing off on the job!

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 16, 2018, 11:53:41 PM
I'd simply detach the shields and reposition them to where they should be.
They might be printed on, as I don't think I've seen ALDOT using demountable shields in a long time.

(They/Them)

cjk374

Looks like it's time for them start back using it again.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Voyager75

Yeah they are printed on. From traffic cams it appears they have temporarily taped black tarps over the shields.

I'd bet the farm that they will have new panels made to mount over the two shields and they will be in a entirely different size and font to officially make it the worst sign in B'Ham.

iPhone

Tom958

It was fixed properly by the time I went through on Saturday morning.  :clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.