News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Oklahoma City Skyscraper

Started by The Ghostbuster, April 17, 2024, 03:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

The New York Post has an article about a new skyscraper proposed to be built in Oklahoma City: https://nypost.com/2024/04/17/real-estate/oklahoma-city-residents-question-the-planned-legends-tower/. It would be the tallest tower in the United States. I think it would be a monstrosity that would be better suited for being built in Chicago, Los Angeles or New York City.

Rothman

Ugh.  Tbought this forum was going to be immune from this nonsense.  But, alas, the con man developer has now invaded whatever area of the Internet I frequent.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Not going to happen for the simple reason that OKC-area banks are notoriously risk-averse (there are virtually no five-over-ones in the OKC area because the banks consider it a risky, unproven venture despite them existing in practically every other US city). Non-OKC area banks generally don't like to invest in OKC-area projects because formulas used to calculate ROI elsewhere in the country don't return realistic results due to OKC's low density. (This is also why many national chains don't have locations in OKC.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

brad2971

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 17, 2024, 08:05:25 PMNot going to happen for the simple reason that OKC-area banks are notoriously risk-averse (there are virtually no five-over-ones in the OKC area because the banks consider it a risky, unproven venture despite them existing in practically every other US city). Non-OKC area banks generally don't like to invest in OKC-area projects because formulas used to calculate ROI elsewhere in the country don't return realistic results due to OKC's low density. (This is also why many national chains don't have locations in OKC.)

Considering the cascading effects of the Penn Square Bank failure on the banking system back in 1982, those OKC-area banks are right to be risk-averse. Yes, while it may seem that sense in certain areas of the country may be short, it's not too bad to have memories that are long. 

Scott5114

Sure, but the Penn Square bank failures had more to do with the oil industry than real estate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

It'll go the same way as the Chicago Spire, which would've dwarfed One World Trade Center by some 200 feet and change.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Road Hog

With the commercial office space situation post-covid, I'd be stunned if there's another major skyscraper not already in the pipeline built in the next 20 years.

GaryV

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 17, 2024, 03:47:47 PMI think it would be a monstrosity that would be better suited for being built in Chicago, Los Angeles or New York City.
Because those cities need or deserve monstrosities?

I agree with other posts, that unless OKC is vastly different from other cities, large office or residential buildings are seldom needed any more. GM is moving out of the RenCen in Detroit, and they don't know what the future will hold for those buildings. Just that it won't likely be office space, and they don't know if residential would be viable.

epzik8

Quote from: Road Hog on April 23, 2024, 02:14:15 AMWith the commercial office space situation post-covid, I'd be stunned if there's another major skyscraper not already in the pipeline built in the next 20 years.

Pretty bold prediction honestly.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.