News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 09, 2017, 01:46:34 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 09, 2017, 01:04:53 PM
Settled in here for the duration - have fired up the scanners to monitor MassDOT and Mass State Police.

As perverse as it sounds, I wish something that interesting would happen here. It's just been cold. Maybe a little windy at times, but that's it.

December 9 is very late for the first snow to stick to the ground where I live.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Snow! I have heard up to a foot may fall.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Eth

Quote from: Eth on December 08, 2017, 11:29:11 AM
It's snowing in Atlanta today! Like, actually in Atlanta itself, not just the far northern suburbs like usual. Snow happens in town here maybe once a year if we're lucky. Snow this early in the season is even rarer; this is either the second or third time I've seen it happen here in December in my memory.

We ended up with about 1.5 inches here, per my measurement this morning. Some of the western and northern suburbs saw enormous totals in the 6-10 inch range. General consensus is that it's the most snow we've seen here since 1993.

Hurricane Rex

Does any other city hope for snow as much as the Portland area? A lot of people in my school are talking about it snowing next Friday here even though not a single forecast ensemble model for now shows snow for the next 10 days. I just write them off as idiots or people that want a day less of school and any excuse to get it.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

adventurernumber1

It snowed a little bit here yesterday. I actually got out of school at around 11:00 A.M., as a result. It was definitely a pleasant surprise for all of us students.

Quote from: Eth on December 09, 2017, 04:51:18 PM
It's snowing in Atlanta today! Like, actually in Atlanta itself, not just the far northern suburbs like usual. Snow happens in town here maybe once a year if we're lucky. Snow this early in the season is even rarer; this is either the second or third time I've seen it happen here in December in my memory.

We ended up with about 1.5 inches here, per my measurement this morning. Some of the western and northern suburbs saw enormous totals in the 6-10 inch range. General consensus is that it's the most snow we've seen here since 1993.

Dang. I remember when the snow disaster of Winter 2014 happened in Atlanta (and there was some here in Dalton, too, and my mother's car was having trouble driving on the road back home after picking me and my brother up from school, and other cars near us had the same problem), when so many vehicles were trapped on the roads, some students had to spend the night in schools, and there was even a baby born on Interstate 285. That was definitely a pretty crazy situation.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 09, 2017, 07:25:15 PM
It snowed a little bit here yesterday. I actually got out of school at around 11:00 A.M., as a result. It was definitely a pleasant surprise for all of us students.

Dang. I remember when the snow disaster of Winter 2014 happened in Atlanta (and there was some here in Dalton, too, and my mother's car was having trouble driving on the road back home after picking me and my brother up from school, and other cars near us had the same problem), when so many vehicles were trapped on the roads, some students had to spend the night in schools, and there was even a baby born on Interstate 285. That was definitely a pretty crazy situation.

I remember watching that on TV. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. Wasn't the city "shut down" for a few days due to how crippled it became due to this storm?

Running till I die.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 09, 2017, 07:21:35 PM
Does any other city hope for snow as much as the Portland area?

As a Minnesotan now residing in Iowa, I'm not sure. This area definitely does not get as much snow as I'd prefer. Generally speaking, a lot of it will come down, but then melt in the next one or two days :-/

Roadgeekteen

Cold, but the snow is starting to melt.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Eth

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 09, 2017, 07:32:34 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 09, 2017, 07:25:15 PM

I remember watching that on TV. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. Wasn't the city "shut down" for a few days due to how crippled it became due to this storm?

Yep. Fortunately it wasn't nearly as bad this time, despite there actually being more snow. For one thing, there wasn't as much sleet/freezing rain (which was the real source of the problem in 2014), and the road temperatures started out much warmer, so little if anything was actually sticking to the roads until after everyone was already home for the night.

Some areas, mostly to the northwest, have been dealing with prolonged power outages thanks to trees falling onto power lines under the weight of the snow. Not generally an issue where I am, as all the power lines within a few blocks of me are underground.

Hurricane Rex

Thursday's low is supposed to be 37 degrees, and there is "a chance for ice," I sense a marketing tactic and more hopefull school kids wanting an extra day of break.

Running till I die.

kkt

37 degrees could include a chance of ice.  The temperature is probably measured at the airport, five feet off the ground.  In a spot with colder exposure where no sun hits the ground through the whole day it could freeze.  Say, a bridge across a valley that's north or east facing.

Dunno about Oregon, but here every snow day taken in winter gets made up by having school another day into the summer.  A cold, dark winter day off traded for a nice June day seems like a fool's trade to me.

MNHighwayMan

Cool (about 45° F right now, IIRC) and experiencing wind gusts up to 35 MPH. :ded: I had to go outside to secure the patio furniture that had nearly blown away.

Roadgeekteen

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on December 08, 2017, 10:55:51 PM
Inversion layer expected to continue for the next week.  More clear nights, frosty mornings, sunny days.  Gradually worsening air quality.  Air temperatures at several thousand feet elevation are much higher than at sea level: Paradise, at 5000 feet, was reported at 65 today while us in the lowlands didn't even break 50.

Today's fog kept me from landing on-time. We circled around SeaTac four times before diverting to PDX due to low fuel. So annoying when all you can see is blue sky, and this tiny patch of fog sitting over the airport. Our sunny days can be so bittersweet.

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2017, 02:10:20 AM
Inversion layer expected to continue for the next week.  More clear nights, frosty mornings, sunny days.  Gradually worsening air quality.  Air temperatures at several thousand feet elevation are much higher than at sea level: Paradise, at 5000 feet, was reported at 65 today while us in the lowlands didn't even break 50.

Today's fog kept me from landing on-time. We circled around SeaTac four times before diverting to PDX due to low fuel. So annoying when all you can see is blue sky, and this tiny patch of fog sitting over the airport. Our sunny days can be so bittersweet.

Sorry to hear that!  SeaTac is relatively high up too.  How do they get you from Portland to Seattle?

Roadgeekteen

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on December 12, 2017, 01:09:03 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2017, 02:10:20 AM

Sorry to hear that!  SeaTac is relatively high up too.  How do they get you from Portland to Seattle?

We sat at a gate for about an hour and a half, while we refueled and waited for the fog to clear. They eventually flew us back to Seattle. My itinerary for yesterday was PDX>SJC>SEA>PDX>SEA. Should have been three hours flying...turned into eight! :spin: I never fly anything except non-stop (almost always Alaska), so my first time flying Southwest was less than impressive, since a non-stop flight at 0600 MST would have beaten the fog. Not Southwest's fault there was fog (obviously), but longer days expose you to more variable weather, so I prefer the quickest journey possible.

Roadgeekteen

7/8

It's currently -9 C (16 F) and lightly snowing. It's nice to see snow on the ground in December. Let's hope for a good ski season this winter :thumbsup:

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: 7/8 on December 13, 2017, 04:41:55 PM
It's currently -9 C (16 F) and lightly snowing. It's nice to see snow on the ground in December. Let's hope for a good ski season this winter :thumbsup:

Same hope out here. When you're done, can I borrow some of the snow?

Running till I die.

froggie

If you'd like, you can have some of the foot of snow piled all over my yard...

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: froggie on December 13, 2017, 10:02:59 PM
If you'd like, you can have some of the foot of snow piled all over my yard...

I would love that except I don't know how I could get to Vermont and back without the snow melting or me freezing up.

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

5:30 pm, we had an earthquake. Not large, 4.0 magnitude but it was noticeable to me. No damage except a few overreacting people in school.

Running till I die.

7/8

It was -19 C (-2 F) on my drive to work this morning (between 7:30 and 8:00). Meanwhile it's only -9 C (16 F) in Winnipeg where my brother is (downright balmy! :-D)

Roadgeekteen

Another cold day, but not as cold.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.