News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

70 MPH Speed Limit Increase To 70 In Pennsylvania???

Started by jpi, October 24, 2013, 04:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on March 18, 2016, 02:15:22 PMI would think the higher limit on the other side would prove that standards DO say the limit should be higher...
Quotewe would NOT all be 80 if every state raised them limit when the next state had a different one.

Aren't these directly opposite of each other?  You stated if one state has a higher limit, the other state should have a higher limit.  But then you stated if one state has a higher limit, then the other state wouldn't have a higher limit.  :confused:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 18, 2016, 12:38:32 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 17, 2016, 10:54:14 PM
Maybe now that an adjoining roadway has a 70mph speed limit, NJ would consider raising parts of the NJ Turnpike to 70mph. Of course that would be as likely as I-90 getting a bump.

Declan O'Scanlon beat you by four hours: http://nj1015.com/is-65-mph-too-slow-for-nj-this-lawmaker-says-raise-the-speed-limit/

Actually, O'Scanlon even beat Pennsylvania.  He originally proposed a higher speed limit in NJ back in August, 2013, and was talked about extensively on these boards at that time:  http://nj1015.com/75-mph-speed-limits-on-major-nj-highways-audio/  Yesterday's story appears to be more likely a result of a reporter calling O'Scanlon's office to inquire about that idea from 2.5 years ago, rather than anything he has spoken about currently.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 18, 2016, 02:50:36 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 18, 2016, 02:15:22 PMI would think the higher limit on the other side would prove that standards DO say the limit should be higher...
Quotewe would NOT all be 80 if every state raised them limit when the next state had a different one.

Aren't these directly opposite of each other?  You stated if one state has a higher limit, the other state should have a higher limit.  But then you stated if one state has a higher limit, then the other state wouldn't have a higher limit.  :confused:
Huh?  I'm talking about situations where an interstate arbitrarily drops in speed limit at a state line.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

But that happens all throughout the country, and always has except when the NMSL was in effect.  The most drastic examples probably include the R&P limit in Montana vs the limit in any bordering state, truck limits where one state has a split limit vs. another that doesn't, and 2 lane roads where one state permits a limit higher than 55 vs. a state which limits them to 55. 

Getting back to PA/NJ, on the PA Turnpike the overriding factor will be that the PA/NJ Turnpike Connector bridge is only currently signed at 50 or 55.  Even if PA signs the Turnpike to 70, it won't be 70 to the state line - it'll be 70 to near the base of the bridge.  NJ is currently 65 to the base of the bridge, where it drops to 50 or 55 as well.  So even if NJ allows 70, it's extremely doubtful this bridge would suddenly jump 15 or 20 mph to 70 as well.

For other crossings between PA & NJ, I believe I-78 is the only one that maintains a continuous 65 mph across the bridge.  The currently signed I-95 bridge should be able to handle it, but that's up to PA to allow 65 on I-95.  And the lack of shoulders probably would hinder a 65 mph limit anyway until they reconstruct that crossing.  Any other crossing is limited by geographical issues or highways on either side that wouldn't permit a 65 or 70 mph limit in the first place.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 19, 2016, 10:49:52 AM
But that happens all throughout the country, and always has except when the NMSL was in effect.  The most drastic examples probably include the R&P limit in Montana vs the limit in any bordering state, truck limits where one state has a split limit vs. another that doesn't, and 2 lane roads where one state permits a limit higher than 55 vs. a state which limits them to 55. 

Getting back to PA/NJ, on the PA Turnpike the overriding factor will be that the PA/NJ Turnpike Connector bridge is only currently signed at 50 or 55.  Even if PA signs the Turnpike to 70, it won't be 70 to the state line - it'll be 70 to near the base of the bridge.  NJ is currently 65 to the base of the bridge, where it drops to 50 or 55 as well.  So even if NJ allows 70, it's extremely doubtful this bridge would suddenly jump 15 or 20 mph to 70 as well.

For other crossings between PA & NJ, I believe I-78 is the only one that maintains a continuous 65 mph across the bridge.  The currently signed I-95 bridge should be able to handle it, but that's up to PA to allow 65 on I-95.  And the lack of shoulders probably would hinder a 65 mph limit anyway until they reconstruct that crossing.  Any other crossing is limited by geographical issues or highways on either side that wouldn't permit a 65 or 70 mph limit in the first place.

With the bridge, i see NJ signing it as 55 up to the toll plaza going east, and 55 going west due to the merge from exit 6a. We will have to see what the new bridge layout will be once the twin span is built and open.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

MASTERNC

MASTERNC

PHLBOS

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 02, 2016, 08:22:49 AM
Per a news station in PA, said announcement will be today.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/31851828/pa-turnpike-to-announce-higher-speed-limit
One has to wonder whether the I-276 stretch, currently posted at 65, will be included for a 70 mph limit as well.  Such would make it the first highway in the immediate Delaware Valley area to receive such... at least in this century.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

MASTERNC

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 02, 2016, 08:43:28 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on May 02, 2016, 08:22:49 AM
Per a news station in PA, said announcement will be today.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/31851828/pa-turnpike-to-announce-higher-speed-limit
One has to wonder whether the I-276 stretch, currently posted at 65, will be included for a 70 mph limit as well.  Such would make it the first highway in the immediate Delaware Valley area to receive such... at least in this century.

Prior indications were the Commission approved 70 MPH for all segments currently signed at 65 MPH, which would include I-276.  Whether or not the traffic volumes support it is another story.

MASTERNC

Here's the press release.  Changes begin tomorrow.  They note over 1,000 miles of road will be 70 MPH, but a lot of interstates are missing.  Future I-99 is included but no US highways otherwise.

http://padriverdetours.blogspot.com/2016/05/pennsylvania-turnpike-and-penndot.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

QuotePennDOT roadways that are being posted with the new limit over the next few days (including current pilot areas) are:

I-79 from I-90 in Erie County south to a point just north of the PA 228 interchange in Butler County (97 miles)
    I-79 from I-70 in Washington County south to the West Virginia border (33 miles)
    I-80 from the Ohio State border east to a point near mile marker 190 in Clinton County (190 miles)
    I-80 from a point near mile marker 195 in Union County to a point near mile marker 247 in Columbia County (52 miles)
    US 15 from the interchange with PA 14 in Lycoming County north to the New York State border (49 miles)
    I-99 from Exit No. 68 in Centre County south to a point near mile marker 34 in Blair County (34 miles)
    I-99 from Exit No. 28 in Blair County south to mile marker 0 (PA Turnpike) in Bedford County (28 miles)
    I-380 from I-84 in Lackawanna County south to Exit No. 3 in Monroe County (21 miles)

Turnpike travelers will encounter a higher speed limit on virtually the entire toll highway. "After we convert the remaining segments of our system, we will have 493 miles posted at 70 mph,"  said PA Turnpike CEO Mark Compton. "As a result, Turnpike motorists will see a 70 mph speed limit on almost 90 percent of our 552-mile system."

Since the summer of 2014, the Turnpike speed limit has been 70 mph on a 97-mile stretch in south-central Pennsylvania between the Blue Mountain and Morgantown interchanges. All remaining sections of the PA Turnpike system that are now posted at 65 mph – including Turnpike extensions in southwestern PA – will be signed for 70 mph beginning May 3.

Areas of the PA Turnpike now posted at 55 mph will remain at 55 mph, including: work zones; the five tunnels; mainline toll plazas ( "barrier"  plazas that stretch across travel lanes, such as Mid County and Delaware River Bridge in the southeast and Gateway and Warrendale in the west); the eastern slope of the Allegheny Mountain; and the seven-mile stretch east of the Bensalem Interchange in Bucks County (this section – now posted at 55 mph due to construction of the I-95/Turnpike link – will remain at 55 mph upon completion of the connections because of a lower design speed).

Bitmapped

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 02, 2016, 01:44:37 PM
Here's the press release.  Changes begin tomorrow.  They note over 1,000 miles of road will be 70 MPH, but a lot of interstates are missing.  Future I-99 is included but no US highways otherwise.

http://padriverdetours.blogspot.com/2016/05/pennsylvania-turnpike-and-penndot.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

QuotePennDOT roadways that are being posted with the new limit over the next few days (including current pilot areas) are:

I-79 from I-90 in Erie County south to a point just north of the PA 228 interchange in Butler County (97 miles)
    I-79 from I-70 in Washington County south to the West Virginia border (33 miles)
    I-80 from the Ohio State border east to a point near mile marker 190 in Clinton County (190 miles)
    I-80 from a point near mile marker 195 in Union County to a point near mile marker 247 in Columbia County (52 miles)
    US 15 from the interchange with PA 14 in Lycoming County north to the New York State border (49 miles)
    I-99 from Exit No. 68 in Centre County south to a point near mile marker 34 in Blair County (34 miles)
    I-99 from Exit No. 28 in Blair County south to mile marker 0 (PA Turnpike) in Bedford County (28 miles)
    I-380 from I-84 in Lackawanna County south to Exit No. 3 in Monroe County (21 miles)

Turnpike travelers will encounter a higher speed limit on virtually the entire toll highway. "After we convert the remaining segments of our system, we will have 493 miles posted at 70 mph,"  said PA Turnpike CEO Mark Compton. "As a result, Turnpike motorists will see a 70 mph speed limit on almost 90 percent of our 552-mile system."

Since the summer of 2014, the Turnpike speed limit has been 70 mph on a 97-mile stretch in south-central Pennsylvania between the Blue Mountain and Morgantown interchanges. All remaining sections of the PA Turnpike system that are now posted at 65 mph – including Turnpike extensions in southwestern PA – will be signed for 70 mph beginning May 3.

Areas of the PA Turnpike now posted at 55 mph will remain at 55 mph, including: work zones; the five tunnels; mainline toll plazas ( "barrier"  plazas that stretch across travel lanes, such as Mid County and Delaware River Bridge in the southeast and Gateway and Warrendale in the west); the eastern slope of the Allegheny Mountain; and the seven-mile stretch east of the Bensalem Interchange in Bucks County (this section – now posted at 55 mph due to construction of the I-95/Turnpike link – will remain at 55 mph upon completion of the connections because of a lower design speed).

It's a big improvement, but there are a lot of underposted 55mph freeway stretches that will still be 55.

jeffandnicole

Quote...and the seven-mile stretch east of the Bensalem Interchange in Bucks County (this section – now posted at 55 mph due to construction of the I-95/Turnpike link – will remain at 55 mph upon completion of the connections because of a lower design speed).

Wonder if this was an error, as the section was posted at 65 mph previously.

cl94

Quote from: Bitmapped on May 02, 2016, 02:15:04 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on May 02, 2016, 01:44:37 PM

It's a big improvement, but there are a lot of underposted 55mph freeway stretches that will still be 55.

A big omission is I-90 and I'm not even talking about the underposted section in Erie. West of Erie (and probably east of Erie as well) could be 70. Heck, the section west of Erie jumps up to 70 at the Ohio line with no real change in design. I-90 could theoretically be 70 from MA 128 to Chicago excluding the sections through Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo, and Albany.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ekt8750

The 6 laned portion of the Blue Route is under posted at 55. The general flow of traffic as it is is 70. I'm surprised that didn't get upgraded.

MASTERNC

Quote from: ekt8750 on May 02, 2016, 02:59:41 PM
The 6 laned portion of the Blue Route is under posted at 55. The general flow of traffic as it is is 70. I'm surprised that didn't get upgraded.

My surprise was more US 222 in Lancaster County not being raised to 70 MPH.  Maybe later on.

I-476 and the six laned sections of US 202 (north of PA 100) could go to 60 or 65 MPH easily.

bzakharin

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 02, 2016, 04:10:52 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on May 02, 2016, 02:59:41 PM

My surprise was more US 222 in Lancaster County not being raised to 70 MPH.  Maybe later on.

I-476 and the six laned sections of US 202 (north of PA 100) could go to 60 or 65 MPH easily.
I don't think PA does 60. That may be the next logical step, though

Flyer78

I thought the southern section at six lanes was up to 65, but memory is a strange thing.

No I-81?

ekt8750

Quote from: Flyer78 on May 02, 2016, 04:30:34 PM
I thought the southern section at six lanes was up to 65, but memory is a strange thing.

Nope. 55 the entire length. Even the rebuild portion from 76 to the Turnpike is still 55.

Flyer78

I completely misread your post... Yes, Blue Route is all 55 -- I thought you meant the recently complete southern section of the Turnpike on 476 -- and that was all my fault in reading.

74/171FAN

My surprises were US 15 around Gettysburg (MD line to just south of PA 94 where the 65 zone becomes 55 as the freeway ends) and I-176 (from Exits 2-10), but the PennDOT release says that more increases could come in the future.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cl94

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 02, 2016, 06:43:09 PM
My surprises were US 15 around Gettysburg (MD line to just south of PA 94 where the 65 zone becomes 55 as the freeway ends) and I-176 (from Exits 2-10), but the PennDOT release says that more increases could come in the future.

Any rumors if I-90 west of Erie is one of those?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2016, 06:50:50 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 02, 2016, 06:43:09 PM
Any rumors if I-90 west of Erie is one of those?

The release has no mention of any zones outside of what was announced. The statement I was referring to was this directly from the release:

QuoteAreas that didn't qualify for the increase had crash histories; heavy, weaving traffic or characteristics that did not lend themselves to safe conversion to the higher limit. PennDOT will continue to review crash statistics for the newly posted areas and will consider information generated from ongoing studies before deciding on other areas that could see the higher limit.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Surprised I-84 from I-380 to the NY line or I-78 west of I-476 weren't included.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cl94

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 02, 2016, 07:34:03 PM
Surprised I-84 from I-380 to the NY line or I-78 west of I-476 weren't included.

I-78 is probably due to traffic and design. Most of it was constructed as US 22 and, as such, predates the Interstate system. I can almost guarantee that I-84 is for terrain. I wouldn't necessarily compare PennDOT's speed limit standards to those of PTC.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2016, 07:41:49 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 02, 2016, 07:34:03 PM
I-78 is probably due to traffic and design. Most of it was constructed as US 22 and, as such, predates the Interstate system. I can almost guarantee that I-84 is for terrain. I wouldn't necessarily compare PennDOT's speed limit standards to those of PTC.

I-78 is still 55 from PA 143 (Exit 35) to the eastern split with PA 309 (Exit 60).  The only portion of I-78 that may have even been under consideration was I-81 (Exit 1) to PA 61 (Exit 29), but again the design on the US 22 concurrency predates the interstate system.

Note that the I-78 interchange at PA 737 (Exit 40) in Krumsville is currently being redone.  The ultimate plan is for truck climbing lanes to be added in that area.  I would not exactly expect a speed limit increase here though for the foreseeable future though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.