Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2020, 11:48:05 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on January 02, 2020, 03:18:43 PM
It seems pretty illegal to ban skateboarding on a public street.

What seems illegal about that?  Plenty of modes of transportation are prohibited on various types of roads, paths, and highways.
Why did you cut out the rest of what I said?

& that would be true if it was a "Path, Highway or etc"  however its a public street like I said.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

kphoger

Quote from: Tonytone on January 06, 2020, 12:47:30 PM

What seems illegal about that?  Plenty of modes of transportation are prohibited on various types of roads, paths, and highways.

& that would be true if it was a "Path, Highway or etc"  however its a public street like I said.

I cut out the rest because I was only wondering about that one thing you said.  Why did you cut out "roads" from what I said?

My home city of Wichita prohibits people from using e-scooters on any public street/road with a speed limit higher than 40 mph, and it prohibits them entirely after 9 PM.  Does that seem similarly illegal?  And if not, then why not?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2020, 01:10:27 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on January 06, 2020, 12:47:30 PM

I cut out the rest because I was only wondering about that one thing you said.  Why did you cut out "roads" from what I said?

My home city of Wichita prohibits people from using e-scooters on any public street/road with a speed limit higher than 40 mph, and it prohibits them entirely after 9 PM.  Does that seem similarly illegal?  And if not, then why not?
My bad I didn't even see the "roads"  

I can understand why a scooter would be banned on  roads higher than 40 MPH & 9PM. Between a scooter basically being a upgraded razor scooter & how hard it would be to see those things at night it's more for the safety of the scooter rider, but we could also say the same about motorcycles however I presume the speed is what makes the difference.

Also that law may have some clauses about which type of scooters are permitted to not follow the law.

I don't see "bicycles"  on that sign which would also go along the same mode of transportation of a skateboard, so i'm thinking its more of a skateboard crew issue or cars backing up & hitting them issue.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

D-Dey65

Quote from: formulanone on January 06, 2020, 08:23:17 AM
Recent oddities around Tampa Bay...

Canadian-style NEW sign in Treasure Island:

I've got to head to Treasure Island before the FDOT makes them remove that sign. There are a lot of things in Tampa, Pinellas County, and the vicinity of Sunshine Skyway Bridge I want to get pictures of.

Mr. Matté

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2020, 08:20:25 PM
That actually looks like a neat "effects" font.
Yeah, I thought that was from some town that was too enamored with Halloween or something until I read the description!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mapmikey

Looks really neat....zero chance that occurred by itself

MNHighwayMan

Yeah, that looks more like vandalism than the sheeting randomly peeling.

GenExpwy

It looks like the green "background"  sheeting was applied on top of a white base, and it's actually the green that's splitting and peeling. Would that be the wrong way to make a white-on-green sign, for this reason?

roadfro

Quote from: GenExpwy on January 12, 2020, 04:15:01 AM
It looks like the green "background"  sheeting was applied on top of a white base, and it's actually the green that's splitting and peeling. Would that be the wrong way to make a white-on-green sign, for this reason?

Not necessarily a "wrong" way to make the sign, it's just different. I imagine this method has the highly reflective white base with a green film applied over the whole sign, then the sign is put in a machine cutter which trims the green film where legend and arrows will appear, allowing someone to remove the excess green film exposing the legend.

Compare to a different process where the white sign legend/elements have to be laid out on the green blank, and then rolled/pressed on. In this case, the white legend may start peeling over time as opposed to the green background.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jeffandnicole

jeffandnicole

hbelkins

Quote from: roadfro on January 12, 2020, 01:53:51 PM
Quote from: GenExpwy on January 12, 2020, 04:15:01 AM

Not necessarily a "wrong" way to make the sign, it's just different. I imagine this method has the highly reflective white base with a green film applied over the whole sign, then the sign is put in a machine cutter which trims the green film where legend and arrows will appear, allowing someone to remove the excess green film exposing the legend.

Compare to a different process where the white sign legend/elements have to be laid out on the green blank, and then rolled/pressed on. In this case, the white legend may start peeling over time as opposed to the green background.

Kentucky now uses the first method listed above (letters cut out of the green overlay sheeting) but formerly used the second method (reflective white letters individually applied to the green base.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mr. Matté on January 11, 2020, 06:05:25 PM
A standard destination sign's letters are now starting to peel a little bit:
A similar example along PA 41 in Cochranville, Chester County.  See past GSVs for regression.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Kniwt

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Kniwt on January 13, 2020, 09:06:24 PM
US 95 near San Luis, Arizona. "Old Mexico"? Really?!

By that logic one could call that part of Arizona also Old Mexico.  The parts of Arizona north of the Gadsden Purchase and Gila River could be Old New Mexico. 

Scott5114

Signing the distance to a border with the name of the bordering entity is awkward anyway. What point in Mexico is 4 miles away, the capital? If you mean the border, put the word "border" there somewhere.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kniwt

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 15, 2020, 10:38:41 PM
Signing the distance to a border with the name of the bordering entity is awkward anyway. What point in Mexico is 4 miles away, the capital? If you mean the border, put the word "border" there somewhere.

Normally I'd agree, but that would be somewhat confusing in this case, since the city on the other side is also San Luis, or more completely, San Luis Rio Colorado (abbreviated to just SLRC in the local media). "Intl Border" would work just fine.

I was somewhat surprised to see "San Felipe" (Baja Calif.) as a control city on southbound CA 111 just before Calexico/Mexicali.

jakeroot

It's now the norm in British Columbia. Old signs read "Seattle", but new signs read "USA Border".

Scott5114

Quote from: Kniwt on January 15, 2020, 10:52:28 PM

Normally I'd agree, but that would be somewhat confusing in this case, since the city on the other side is also San Luis, or more completely, San Luis Rio Colorado (abbreviated to just SLRC in the local media). "Intl Border" would work just fine.

Could do "San Luis, Mex" or "San Luis, Son." or something like that. But yeah, "Intl Border" would be preferable.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2020, 08:20:25 PM
That actually looks like a neat "effects" font.

Or somebody who learned their printing skills from Mr. Haney.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.