News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

ClassicHasClass

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thenetwork

Quote from: US 89 on December 09, 2020, 04:28:14 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 09, 2020, 12:21:29 PM
Divider bars between destinations on a mileage sign.

This type of thing is very common on Utah mileage signs put up more than ~20 years ago.

Actually, Utah did unisigns with bars separating each destination line as well as individual slats on multi-destination signs.  But you are right, most of those signs have been replaced over the decades with bar-less unisigns.  A scattered few remain in the wild (at least in Eastern Utah).

Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2020, 03:00:07 PM
I've always liked independent slats for each destination.  Like this or this.

Ohio uses independent slats for destination wayfinders at non-freeway intersections.

Kniwt

US 89

^ The mixed-case E(M) mileage signs with the divider bars are becoming very rare birds by now. Almost all of them are on rural interstates, but there's at least one on SR 10 south of Price. (and that one is even button copy!)

Although they are slowly being replaced, the all-caps unisign with divider bars is still probably the most common mileage sign on rural surface roads:

The variants with individual slats for each destination are still out there, but in my experience they are much harder to find. Here's one example on SR 10:

Looking through my Utah road photos, there are so many different variations of mileage signs in use today it's not funny.

thenetwork

Quote from: Kniwt on December 10, 2020, 09:55:25 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on December 10, 2020, 09:03:24 PM
Looking through my Utah road photos, there are so many different variations of mileage signs in use today it's not funny.

True that..almost as bad as New Mexico.

D-Dey65

Quote from: US71 on December 09, 2020, 07:36:35 PM
I've never figured out what that diamond sign meant (near Lumberton, MS)

Originally, I thought it was an object marker that got covered in oil stains.

cjk374

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 12, 2020, 06:26:39 AM
Quote from: US71 on December 09, 2020, 07:36:35 PM
I've never figured out what that diamond sign meant (near Lumberton, MS)

Originally, I thought it was an object marker that got covered in oil stains.

As a railroader, this is a signal called a "yellow/red board" indicating that there will be a red board (meaning STOP) 2 miles ahead protecting a work crew working on the track. You call the foreman of the crew on the radio to get permission to pass his red board without stopping at this sign.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

STLmapboy

Here's a part-red, part-white ramp speed sign on US-45 near Selmer, TN.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Scott5114

...red?

Anyway, I'm guessing the white part makes that actually a regulatory speed. Also the "RAMP" gore point sign is sort of silly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 13, 2020, 05:04:21 PM
Also the "RAMP" gore point sign is sort of silly.

Utah sometimes does that with unnumbered exits. Here's one on US 89 at the I-84 interchange:

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

...red?

Anyway, I'm guessing the white part makes that actually a regulatory speed. Also the "RAMP" gore point sign is sort of silly.

That's what I was thinking too.  At least on the first two counts.  I kind of like the setup.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Does Route 654 go left or right here? 
https://goo.gl/maps/x1LCpZJ3WpGKG7rC9

If you live in VA you see this everywhere as a result of direction less 600 and 700 series routes, but have to admit looks strange.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on December 16, 2020, 04:25:14 PM

If you live in VA you see this everywhere as a result of direction less 600 and 700 series routes, but have to admit looks strange.

Really, you'd think a single shield with a double-headed arrow would be better.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 16, 2020, 04:44:26 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 16, 2020, 04:25:14 PM

Really, you'd think a single shield with a double-headed arrow would be better.

Yeah. Normally the only reason you'd post separate shields like this is to indicate cardinal directions. Oklahoma practice would be to either do that or to do a double arrow with no cardinals.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Caps81943

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

Also the "RAMP" gore point sign is sort of silly.

I think any gore point sign is sort of silly.  Especially when they're posted a considerable distance past the actual split, like this.  Around me, their primary purpose seems to be target practice for drivers taking aim.

kphoger

When snow covers the highway, I sure appreciate knowing exactly where the division is.
Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

Quote from: kphoger on December 17, 2020, 12:58:44 PM
When snow covers the highway, I sure appreciate knowing exactly where the division is.

So do I, but gore signs don't tell me.  They're past the point of the division, and just how far past varies with every one.

kphoger

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 17, 2020, 12:57:02 PM
I think any gore point sign is sort of silly.  Especially when they're posted a considerable distance past the actual split, like this.  Around me, their primary purpose seems to be target practice for drivers taking aim.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 17, 2020, 02:41:47 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 17, 2020, 12:58:44 PM

So do I, but gore signs don't tell me.  They're past the point of the division, and just how far past varies with every one.

At the location in your link, the gore sign is between a maintained gravel strip (not likely to get stuck) and a grass berm (likely to get stuck).
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.