News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: bluecountry on November 22, 2018, 09:05:31 AM
I'd like to re-ask:
I have thought, if the NJTP/I-95 was conceived 20 years later or nowadays, would we have gotten three parallel northbound interstates in the Philly area or would we have all been stuck on either I-95 going through Philly or I-295 would have been shared like I-495 in MD/VA is between local and long distance traffic?
It would have made the trip from NY south so much worse.
Anybody else ever think that?

Definitely probable.  I've said many times in the past that when DE and NJ teamed up to build a superhighway SE PA and Philadelphia bypass long before the beginning of the Interstate system, that they created a bypass that is still unique.  Nothing guaranteed about a Delaware Memorial Bridge being built where it was built, and no guarantee that an I-295 would be routed there if an NJTP hadn't been built.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

bzakharin

If the freeway system around Philadelphia and thru NJ didn't exist by now, they'd have a hard time building anything, thanks to the built-up areas everything would need to go through and environmental laws, not to mention the money and/or funding by the feds. Then again, if the freeway system didn't exist, maybe the built-up areas would be a lot more sparse, allowing the Turnpike to be built through completely undeveloped areas. It would have to take a more easterly route to avoid the Philadelphia suburbs that would have existed no matter what, and then a more westerly route through North Jersey, maybe even terminating at the Garden State Parkway, assuming that still existed, or use the Parkway's route into New York state, if not. Similarly, any I-95 would have to bypass Philadelphia, maybe via I-476 and the PA Turnpike.

bzakharin

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or when this was done, but going north on the NJ Turnpike today, I see a JCT I-95 approaching exit 6, and then JCT NORTH I-95 right before the I-95 lanes join the main line. There is also a directionless I-95 shield approaching exit 7A, probably used to have a "TO" that was removed.

famartin

Quote from: bzakharin on November 22, 2018, 11:28:45 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or when this was done, but going north on the NJ Turnpike today, I see a JCT I-95 approaching exit 6, and then JCT NORTH I-95 right before the I-95 lanes join the main line. There is also a directionless I-95 shield approaching exit 7A, probably used to have a "TO" that was removed.

That I-95 shield has been there since the late 90s at least, but even back then, did not have a "To" banner.  Not sure about before the late 90s, as I don't think I ever drove down the turnpike south of 7A before 1999, but in 1999, that shield was there, without the "To".

famartin

Also of note, the only I-95 shield in NJ with a direction banner on I-95 itself that I know of is just north of Exit 18E, in the median.  There could be one or more others, but I drove the whole stretch multiple times this year, and that's the only one I saw with a banner.  In any case, it says "I-95 north", probably because that's where you leave the ticket system and are on "Free I-95".

famartin

Here's that I-95 shield you speak of south of 7A.  I took this picture last October.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2017-10-02_12_57_46_View_north_along_Interstate_95_(New_Jersey_Turnpike)_just_south_of_Exit_7A_(Interstate_195,_Trenton,_Shore_Points)_in_Hamilton_Township,_Mercer_County,_New_Jersey.jpg

And here's the one just north of Exit 18E I mentioned, with the "NORTH" banner.  (If anyone knows of another, do let me know, because I'd love to photograph it).  I took this just this past September, a day after the interchange ramps in PA opened.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2018-09-23_12_12_52_IMG_3106_will_rename_and_categorize_soon.jpg

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on November 23, 2018, 02:15:56 AM

Also of note, the only I-95 shield in NJ with a direction banner on I-95 itself that I know of is just north of Exit 18E, in the median.  There could be one or more others, but I drove the whole stretch multiple times this year, and that's the only one I saw with a banner.  In any case, it says "I-95 north", probably because that's where you leave the ticket system and are on "Free I-95".

Have you driven thru Interchange 6 from Interchange 5 (or points south) since the PA ramps were opened? I believe the ones bzakharin is referring to are a North 95/NJ Tpk sign on the shoulder within the Interchange 6 ramps inner roadway, and then a North 95/NJ TPK sign just after the Interchange 6 ramps meet the mainline.  These appeared just after the 95 ramps opened in PA.

02 Park Ave

That sign is exactly at MM52.0.
C-o-H

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 23, 2018, 07:08:17 AM

Have you driven thru Interchange 6 from Interchange 5 (or points south) since the PA ramps were opened? I believe the ones bzakharin is referring to are a North 95/NJ Tpk sign on the shoulder within the Interchange 6 ramps inner roadway, and then a North 95/NJ TPK sign just after the Interchange 6 ramps meet the mainline.  These appeared just after the 95 ramps opened in PA.
There is one before (south of) the interchange that's "JCT I-95". The one within the interchange (after the exit ramps leave, but before the entrance ramps merge) is "JCT North I-95". There may have been a "North I-95" after the interchange, but I can't be certain.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 22, 2018, 10:01:27 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 22, 2018, 09:35:26 AM
If I-95 got routed on the whole NJ Turnpike would I-295 ever been built or even the Delaware Expressway in DE in PA is a better question?

And no north-south interstate thru Philly at all?  Highly doubtful.
Probably you are right, though I do remember before the Delaware Expressway got completed and the area did not look bad trafficwise, but then again traffic counts have skyrocketed in the past 3 or 4 decades.  However, there was nothing to miss then and I am sure people might of adjusted.

However though to support your point, around the airport PA 291 was a nightmare until the last segment of I-95 opened in 1985.  The problem is here living in Florida I have seen new roads generate new traffic as the area around them seem to develop into housing or shopping centers or something to add counts to the new facilities.  Philadelphia if anything exploded not from building, but from normal population increases instead.  I think if anything in Philly or around it would be a redevelopment and just replacing one kind of development for another, keeping things steady.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

akotchi

Quote from: bzakharin on November 23, 2018, 10:51:59 AM

There is one before (south of) the interchange that's "JCT I-95". The one within the interchange (after the exit ramps leave, but before the entrance ramps merge) is "JCT North I-95". There may have been a "North I-95" after the interchange, but I can't be certain.

The Jct/95 panel is just north of Interchange 5 (M.P. 45 or so), which is prior to the inner-outer split.

The Jct/North/95 panels are between the exit and entrance ramps, and are on both the inner and outer roadways.

The North/95 assembly is in the outer roadway only, and includes a free-standing Turnpike shield.

Photos below.

Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

famartin

Quote from: akotchi on November 23, 2018, 11:33:43 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on November 23, 2018, 10:51:59 AM

The Jct/95 panel is just north of Interchange 5 (M.P. 45 or so), which is prior to the inner-outer split.

The Jct/North/95 panels are between the exit and entrance ramps, and are on both the inner and outer roadways.

The North/95 assembly is in the outer roadway only, and includes a free-standing Turnpike shield.

Photos below.

Those are new! I'll definitely have to check them out, thanks!

jeffandnicole

Great.  Thanks for the pics.

I do think the first one near MP 45 is a bit misplaced, as it's several miles prior to Interchange 6.  It should be posted no sooner than a mile or so of Int. 6.

Beltway

Quote from: roadman65 on November 23, 2018, 10:53:37 AM
Probably you are right, though I do remember before the Delaware Expressway got completed and the area did not look bad trafficwise, but then again traffic counts have skyrocketed in the past 3 or 4 decades.  However, there was nothing to miss then and I am sure people might of adjusted.
However though to support your point, around the airport PA 291 was a nightmare until the last segment of I-95 opened in 1985.  The problem is here living in Florida I have seen new roads generate new traffic as the area around them seem to develop into housing or shopping centers or something to add counts to the new facilities.  Philadelphia if anything exploded not from building, but from normal population increases instead.  I think if anything in Philly or around it would be a redevelopment and just replacing one kind of development for another, keeping things steady.

Traffic was awful and very slow on the pre-existing routes before the Delaware Expressway was built.

Major segments were completed by 1969, Delaware to Chester, and north edge of Center City to PA-413, and these provided major improvements in those segments, but it wasn't completed between the airport and Center City until 1977, and the last segment in 1985. 
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 23, 2018, 01:32:00 PM

I do think the first one near MP 45 is a bit misplaced, as it's several miles prior to Interchange 6.  It should be posted no sooner than a mile or so of Int. 6.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it also be standard practice to have reassurance I-95 North/South signs after each entrance ramp?  Maybe the NJTP will start doing that, since they seem to be moving towards compliance with standards.

Also, I wonder if in concert with the new I-95 north sign, there might also be a I-95 south sign on the extension just south(west) of Exit 6?  Has anyone seen one there?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on November 23, 2018, 01:43:30 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 23, 2018, 01:32:00 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it also be standard practice to have reassurance I-95 North/South signs after each entrance ramp?  Maybe the NJTP will start doing that, since they seem to be moving towards compliance with standards.

It would be.  But then again, we've yet to see any other I-95 signage anywhere on the Turnpike except near Interchange 6/6A.  Even south of Int. 6 on the mainline Turnpike, there should be reassurance signage from Interchanges 1 - 5 as well, which could've been installed long ago.

QuoteAlso, I wonder if in concert with the new I-95 north sign, there might also be a I-95 south sign on the extension just south(west) of Exit 6?  Has anyone seen one there?

I've yet to go that way, and per various reports of what others have seen (or not seen, as the case may be), there are no reports of a reassurance sign on I-95 South after the Interchange 6 ramps.

akotchi

No other new ground-mounted shields in either direction around Exit 6.  Appears that the minimum was done for now to sign the change in direction for I-95 at Exit 6.

There use to be confirmations between most interchanges north of Exit 10, but they were not replaced when they fell down or wore out.  The new pull through signs are now achieving that purpose.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

bzakharin

Quote from: akotchi on November 23, 2018, 06:01:23 PM
No other new ground-mounted shields in either direction around Exit 6.  Appears that the minimum was done for now to sign the change in direction for I-95 at Exit 6.

There use to be confirmations between most interchanges north of Exit 10, but they were not replaced when they fell down or wore out.  The new pull through signs are now achieving that purpose.
If NJTA ever changes to the style of mile markers NJDOT now uses, there would almost be no need for reassurance shields (assuming I-95 appears on those markers of course)

famartin

Quote from: bzakharin on November 24, 2018, 05:44:14 PM
Quote from: akotchi on November 23, 2018, 06:01:23 PM

If NJTA ever changes to the style of mile markers NJDOT now uses, there would almost be no need for reassurance shields (assuming I-95 appears on those markers of course)

NJTA does have a handful of mile markers on its non-Interstate segment with the turnpike emblem. Here's a couple:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2018-08-15_09_32_23_IMG_0548_will_rename_and_categorize_soon.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2018-08-26_08_34_27_IMG_0966_will_rename_and_categorize_soon.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2018-08-26_16_41_47_IMG_1087_will_rename_and_categorize_soon.jpg

However, since it's supposed to mark the mileage on the route shield, and the NJTP uses its own mileage, I don't think I-95 should be shown on the markers. Not unless they decide to use I-95 mileage, which would be great but highly doubt will happen.

akotchi

There is precedent to use the toll road mileage with the appropriate Interstate shield, even if they do not match.  On the Pa Tpk, mile 327 has an I-276 shield, where the previous mile 326 had the I-76 marker before I-76 exits at Valley Forge.

Also, my understanding of the sign details is that any 10-mile increment on the NJ Tpk north of Exit 6 would have both Tpk and I-95 shields.

Alps

Quote from: akotchi on November 25, 2018, 02:01:29 AM
There is precedent to use the toll road mileage with the appropriate Interstate shield, even if they do not match.  On the Pa Tpk, mile 327 has an I-276 shield, where the previous mile 326 had the I-76 marker before I-76 exits at Valley Forge.

Also, my understanding of the sign details is that any 10-mile increment on the NJ Tpk north of Exit 6 would have both Tpk and I-95 shields.
Whatever they're gonna be doing, it's not in the Standard Drawings.

bzakharin

My understanding is that I-276 uses a loophole in the rules by which a route doesn't have to begin at MM 0. Presumably NJ routes such as NJ 55 and NJ 18 fall under this as well. This doesn't apply to I-95 since it doesn't begin where it enters the NJ Turnpike mainline.

EDIT: A better example would by the NYS Thruway, but they don't post shields on their mile markers (when they post mile markers at all)

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on November 25, 2018, 09:50:43 AM

My understanding is that I-276 uses a loophole in the rules by which a route doesn't have to begin at MM 0. Presumably NJ routes such as NJ 55 and NJ 18 fall under this as well. This doesn't apply to I-95 since it doesn't begin where it enters the NJ Turnpike mainline.

EDIT: A better example would by the NYS Thruway, but they don't post shields on their mile markers (when they post mile markers at all)
Yup, the rules do not REQUIRE beginning at 0. I'm sure Texas and Arizona had something to say about that as well.

davewiecking

Stress-testing of all roads in the area is underway with the emergency closing of both Delaware Memorial Bridges due to a leak at the DuPont plant.

Tonytone

Quote from: davewiecking on November 25, 2018, 05:53:25 PM
Stress-testing of all roads in the area is underway with the emergency closing of both Delaware Memorial Bridges due to a leak at the DuPont plant.
Traffic is backing up on 95 NB in De, Some drivers are aware & certain backup roads are starting to back up.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.