News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Winnemucca to the Sea Highway

Started by agentsteel53, July 01, 2009, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

Quote from: xonhulu on October 18, 2009, 11:05:59 AM
So I don't think 140 would be unacceptable as a number, for 2 reasons: it comes close enough to the historic routing of 40 to be a plausible branch, and (most importantly) the route already bears the designation, you're just trading in state shields for US markers.

We've seen that Oregon has much of its alignment already posted as a US Highway, so...relpace the rest of the Oregon shields. :P
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

xonhulu

Quote from: Rover_0 on October 19, 2009, 02:38:43 PM
We've seen that Oregon has much of its alignment already posted as a US Highway, so...relpace the rest of the Oregon shields. :P

I thought about that, too, when I went through, but there aren't that many...

andy3175

Only comment I have is that US 140 is a free, available number as of today (2009), so if Oregon and Nevada joined together on an application to request this number, it could very well be feasible. US 371 was recycled, so I am sure 140 could be recycled as well. As for why U.S. 140 rather than U.S. 495, the objective at the time was to redirect westbound travelers from taking U.S. 40 to California ... the way to do that was to have a x40 route extend west from a logical point. Winnemucca is a perfect place, since old U.S. 40 dives southwest from there all the way to SF. Route 140 travels a bit north then mostly west into Oregon and eventually to the ocean at Crescent City. I think an east-west highway from Crescent City to at least U.S. 95 would a logical U.S. route, and a x40 route would be as good as any since there are no other nearby E-W U.S. routes, and U.S. 140 would have the spirit of old U.S. 40. Another option could be to extend U.S. 199, but I don't know if that would make sense as a long e-w highway.

Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.