News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hwy 49 Jungo road

Started by x railroader, March 22, 2009, 12:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

x railroader

Hello all

Anybody ever used this road between Winnemucca Nv and

Gerlach Nv??

Wondering if it is dirt or paved????

Thank you

Voyager

Well this is what the AARoads Nevada state log writes about it:

QuoteUnimproved road from Junction Nevada 447 (former Nevada 34) near Gerlach east to Winnemucca via Sulphur and Jungo

Looking at the aerial map, it looks like a dirt road to me. You can see for yourself.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=40.890827~-118.436823&style=a&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

roadfro

Nevada road maps produced by NDOT, including historic maps as well as the 2007-2008 version, all show the road to Jungo as being mostly unimproved since its inception (parts are graded, but nothing is paved).  It should be noted that Jungo Road is former Nevada SR 49.  The route is no longer in Nevada's state highway system as of the 1976 renumbering, with the number disappearing from state highway maps by 1982.  The route may still erroneously show up on some maps as NV 49, though.

Given that former SR 49 (and SR 48) serves the south end of the Black Rock desert area (the area where Burning Man is held), it may still receive some minimal maintenance from Humboldt and Pershing Counties.  I haven't personally driven it, so cannot completely attest to the status of the road.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ramblemutt

Will welcome any info on feasibility of towing my 29' trailer on this unpaved route between Winnemucca and Gerlach NV.  The west end is Burning Man country so I know a lot of folks have been there but not sure how many have take Jungo road from the east to get there.  This is one of the few roads I have not taken in my frequent trips from Utah to the Oregon coast over the years.
Circling the drain in a 4 wheel drive.

Alps

ramblemutt

Here is some info I chiseled from the Burning Man website:

# The alternative short cut is about 100 miles shorter but is a rough dirt road with easy-to-miss turns, mining vehicles and a couple of treacherous dips. If you are into this and prepared to be self-reliant in the event of a flat tire or breakdown, here are the directions for the Jungo Road. From I-80 take exit 178 to the main drag, Winnemucca Blvd. Gas, groceries, etc are all available here. Take US Hwy 95 towards Boise - in town this is Melarkey Road. Proceed past the Riverside Liquor and Grocery, under I-80, over the river and railroad and take the first left onto Jungo Road towards Jungo and Sulphur. Bear left on a down-slope along the guardrail. (Jungo and Sulphur are not towns, just names on the map!) Note: There are several turns that are easily missed at night; it's advisable to do this drive in the daylight. Generally, you bear right at crossroads. When you reach pavement, turn right towards Gerlach, about 100 miles from where you left pavement.
Circling the drain in a 4 wheel drive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.