News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 95 signing work

Started by roadman, March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on August 25, 2012, 12:02:58 PM2. There are also new diagrammatic signs heading south at the Route 1 exit (46) prior to reaching 128, along with new signs at the 128 exit itself (45) and the US 1 exit following (44). Any of this part of the sign replacement project for 128 between Gloucester and Peabody?
The last time I was in the area, Memorial Day weekend, many of the late-80s vintage BGS along MA 128 (up to MA 114) in Peabody were replaced.  East of MA 114, there are still a handful of 1977-vintage BGS' remaining.  So the newer BGS' along MA 128 near I-95 you saw were part of an I-95 sign replacement project.

Quote from: bob7374 on August 25, 2012, 12:02:58 PM
3. This would leave sign replacement projects needed to be let for Exits 38-43 (44 NB?), 47-54 north of Boston
Many of those BGS were replaced within the last 2 years.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 25, 2012, 05:26:56 PM
They replaced the signage on 95 southbound at 1? Guess I better head over there then. Last time I drove that was on I believe this past Wednesday and the advance signs were the same old diagrammatics that have been up for years now, and the exit itself was the same old sign with the awkwardly cut-out pull through and the NJ-style US 1 shield.
All of the approach BGS to Exit 46 were replaced.  No NJ-style US 1 shields on those.  As of Memorial Day weekend; the mid-90s vintage cut-out pull-through BGS and the original 1988-vintage BGS for Exit 46 were still present.

Also, noticed today that on MA 2A eastbound approaching 95/128 there is a "JCT 128" sign with no mention of 95. The paddle signs at the interchange itself are the standard 95 only signs, with standalone 128 shields, I just found it interesting that there is no mention of 95 when approaching the interchange.
Chances are there probably was a separate JCT 95 trailblazer sign next the JCT 128; but it may have been knocked down due to an accident or out-right stolen.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

southshore720

Quote from: Steve on August 26, 2012, 12:13:12 AM
You think this is awkward?

This may be one of the ugliest BGSs I have ever seen!  I've never been that far north up I-95, so I didn't even know it existed until today!

PurdueBill

I always thought it was kinda functional and cool.  Reduced wind load, and pretty unique iin the state. 

deathtopumpkins

They replaced the signage on 95 southbound at 1? Guess I better head over there then. Last time I drove that was on I believe this past Wednesday and the advance signs were the same old diagrammatics that have been up for years now, and the exit itself was the same old sign with the awkwardly cut-out pull through and the NJ-style US 1 shield.
All of the approach BGS to Exit 46 were replaced.  No NJ-style US 1 shields on those.  As of Memorial Day weekend; the mid-90s vintage cut-out pull-through BGS and the original 1988-vintage BGS for Exit 46 was still present.[/quote]

Yeah thats what I said... the only sign with an NJ-style shield was the exit itself. This is still true (I live here I would know!). Nothing has changed...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve on August 26, 2012, 12:13:12 AM
While this is off-topic; that pull-through BGS needs to be updated to include I-287 in its message.  That one predates the I-287 extension from NJ to the Thruway.  Even though that stretch has been multiplexed (87/287) for decades; I guess that NYSTA either decided not to include any related I-287 info. on that BGS because the connection to NJ seemed years away or somebody just plain forgot about the road still being multiplexed in that area.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on August 25, 2012, 12:02:58 PM
There are also new diagrammatic signs heading south at the Route 1 exit (46) prior to reaching 128, along with new signs at the 128 exit itself (45) and the US 1 exit following (44). Any of this part of the sign replacement project for 128 between Gloucester and Peabody?

These signs were replaced as part of a separate project to update the so-called "TasK A" interchange, which encomapsses I-95, Route 128, and Centennial Drive.  The work was completed in 2008 and was one of the first projects to implement the HIP grade sheeting.

QuoteThis would leave sign replacement projects needed to be let for Exits 38-43 (44 NB?), 47-54 north of Boston, along with all the signs south of 128 to RI, and the replacement of the remaining older signing as part of the 'Add-A-Lane' project between MA 109 and MA 9, plus the completion of the recently let contract between MA 9 and MA 4/225 to change out all the signs along I-95 in MA and make the route ready for conversion to mileage based exiting. A lot of work, needless to say.

The I-93 Reading to Route 1 Lynnfield section and the RI Line to I-93 Canton sections of I-95 were last re-signed in 2000 (panels only), and currently aren't due for renewal again (panels and structures) until 2017 (pending funding availablity of course).

And, yes, the "top hat" BGS at US 1 south in Peabody will eventually go away.  It is proposed to be replaced with a "standard" sized pull-thru sign as part of the pending I-95 Peabody to Rowley sign job.  I've been told that this project is ready to go, but has been put on hold until completion of other work in the area (resurfacing and median cable rail barrier installation).  Historical note - the original pull-thru sign at this location (which referenced only I-95 south) was full sized when it was installed in the early 1990s.  Shortly thereafter, the sign, as well as the previous diagrammatics for US 1, were amended to include TO 128.  This was done to appease business owners along Route 1 south in Peabody, who complained that the traffic on US 1 was making it difficult for their customers to enter and exit their driveways.  As other posters have surmised, the "top hat" design was used for wind loading reasons (be aware that the original sign change happened during the "reuse the existing structures whenever you can" era at MassHighway). 

Regarding future exit number conversion, it appears that MassDOT is actually in good shape regarding existing signs.  This is because, unlike most other states, MassDPW standardized their exit tab widths many years ago.  In the worst case, a current single digit exit tab (which is 7.5 feet wide) can accommodate a two-digit number, and a current double digit exit tab (which is 8.5 feet wide) can accommodate a three-digit number.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on August 28, 2012, 03:15:18 PMThe I-93 Reading to Route 1 Lynnfield section and the RI Line to I-93 Canton sections of I-95 were last re-signed in 2000 (panels only), and currently aren't due for renewal again (panels and structures) until 2017 (pending funding availablity of course).
Your info. regarding the stretch between I-93 (Woburn) and US 1, I believe, might be out of date.  Many of the BGS' and structures were replaced just a few years ago.  The majority of gantries (between North Ave. & US 1) replaced those that were originally erected in 1982.  It also meant that all the overhead gantries that had a supplementary left-hand cantilever structure as well were eliminated.

Quote from: roadman on August 28, 2012, 03:15:18 PM
And, yes, the "top hat" BGS at US 1 south in Peabody will eventually go away.  It is proposed to be replaced with a "standard" sized pull-thru sign as part of the pending I-95 Peabody to Rowley sign job.  I've been told that this project is ready to go, but has been put on hold until completion of other work in the area (resurfacing and median cable rail barrier installation).  Historical note - the original pull-thru sign at this location (which referenced only I-95 south) was full sized when it was installed in the early 1990s.  Shortly thereafter, the sign, as well as the previous diagrammatics for US 1, were amended to include TO 128.  This was done to appease business owners along Route 1 south in Peabody, who complained that the traffic on US 1 was making it difficult for their customers to enter and exit their driveways.  As other posters have surmised, the "top hat" design was used for wind loading reasons (be aware that the original sign change happened during the "reuse the existing structures whenever you can" era at MassHighway).
Actually, the original BGS' for that interchange along with the approach signage was actually erected circa 1987 w/all the related I-95 South info. (all on the pull-thorugh BGS, partial/left-side on the diagrammatic BGS') covered with black tarp.  I have an old print photo of the original pull-through BGS with the tarp cover on it (the message simply read 95 SOUTH Waltham w/3 downward arrows) stacked in a pile somewhere at home.  Needless to say, that US 1 Exit BGS is probably the last surviving BGS of that whole I-95 extension project.

BTW, those TO 128 alterations of the 1990s also meant the demise of the last I-95 South BGS that had Lynn listed as one of its control destinations.  The BGS in question was a pull-through along I-95 South at Exit 50 that was originally erected in the mid-1970s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 28, 2012, 03:44:13 PM
Your info. regarding the stretch between I-93 (Woburn) and US 1, I believe, might be out of date.  Many of the BGS' and structures were replaced just a few years ago.  The majority of gantries (between North Ave. & US 1) replaced those that were originally erected in 1982.  It also meant that all the overhead gantries that had a supplementary left-hand cantilever structure as well were eliminated.

Yes, you are indeed correct - most of the old structures on the Reading to Peabody section were replaced during the 2000 signing project.  It was the RI to Canton section where many of the existing structures were retained during the last update project.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

MA 128 Danvers BGS Update:

While riding along MA 128 from Danvers to Rockport last Sunday, I noticed that the replacement BGS' at the MA 35 and the MA 62 interchanges are now erected.  It's also worth noting that the number of exit ramps have been reduced.  MA 35 is now more of a diamond-style ramp interchange (vs. a very tight cloverleaf) and MA 62 (along northbound 128) is also a half-diamond (vs. a half cloverleaf) as well.  The MA 62 ramps to/from MA 128 south remain unchanged.

In short, no more Exits 22E-W (northbound only) or 23N-S; now just Exits 22 & 23.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

The Boston Globe on Saturday included a MassDOT notice regarding upcoming contracts, included was the sign replacement contract for I-95 between Peabody and Georgetown with a bid deadline of early December. This contract would complete the upgrade of signage between 128 and the NH border.

Meanwhile, the MassDOT project page indicates the contract to replace the signs between MA 9 and MA 4/225 along I-95/128 has started, with 1% complete. The deadline date for completion is July 2014.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on September 24, 2012, 10:29:57 PM
The Boston Globe on Saturday included a MassDOT notice regarding upcoming contracts, included was the sign replacement contract for I-95 between Peabody and Georgetown with a bid deadline of early December. This contract would complete the upgrade of signage between 128 and the NH border.

The I-95 Peabody to Georgetown project includes replacing the current "top hat" pull thru sign on I-95 SB at the Route 1 slip ramp in Peabody.

massroadpatriot

I was down on 128/95 through Waltham the other day, and I noticed that there were still the old rusting sign panels between Bedford and Waltham. Nothing replaced yet.

On a side note, I'm seeing a lot more new layers of pavement between Burlington and Woburn between 33A-B and 37A-B. I know that the sign replacement for that section of I-95 was done through ARRA funding. I'm not sure about the rest of the project though.

bob7374

Reviving a long dormant topic. Returning South from NH yesterday I used US 3 to I-95/128 to get to the South Shore instead of I-93. I noticed a few new signage changes along the current Add-a-Lane project zone between Needham and Dedham. There are new advance overheads southbound for both Exits 18 and 17 (Great Plain Ave and MA 135) around the current split configuration while they build the new SB bridge. No new signage at the exits themselves. Further along there was also new 1 mile advance signage for MA 109, Exit 16 at the 'Turnout Area' (marked with a new blue sign on the same assembly). It was raining and getting dark, but hope to get photos next time through. I will be posting what I saw along I-93 heading north under that thread soon.

southshore720

Additionally, there is new secondary signage between Exits 21-26.  Exit 21 NB has a Woodland Station MBTA sign, Exit 22 NB & SB has a Riverside Station MBTA sign, Exit 25 SB has a "Worcester, Use 90 West" sign, and Exit 26 has a "To Rte 117, Lincoln/Maynard" sign.

PHLBOS

Quote from: southshore720 on July 18, 2013, 12:25:44 PMExit 26 has a "To Rte 117, Lincoln/Maynard" sign.
Personally, I'm a bit surprised that the main exit BGS' for US 20 do not include TO 117 (w/MA 117 shield).  There have been supplemental trailblazer (TO 117) signage posted next to the BGS gantries for as long as I can remember.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 18, 2013, 02:26:54 PM
Quote from: southshore720 on July 18, 2013, 12:25:44 PMExit 26 has a "To Rte 117, Lincoln/Maynard" sign.
Personally, I'm a bit surprised that the main exit BGS' for US 20 do not include TO 117 (w/MA 117 shield).  There have been supplemental trailblazer (TO 117) signage posted next to the BGS gantries for as long as I can remember.

In this case, putting the "TO 117" info on the ground-mounted BGS panels makes the most sense.  If "TO 117" were put on the overhead BGS panels, it would not be possible to put the two destinations for US 20 and the two destinations for MA 117 on the same panels.  The destinations in question were already on the ground-mounts that were recently replaced, but without the MA 117 info.

roadman

Quote from: massroadpatriot on November 11, 2012, 12:42:58 AM
I was down on 128/95 through Waltham the other day, and I noticed that there were still the old rusting sign panels between Bedford and Waltham. Nothing replaced yet.

On a side note, I'm seeing a lot more new layers of pavement between Burlington and Woburn between 33A-B and 37A-B. I know that the sign replacement for that section of I-95 was done through ARRA funding. I'm not sure about the rest of the project though.

The repaving on this section of I-95/128 is an entirely separate project from the sign work, which is now completed.  Typically, MassDOT funds resurfacing work through Interstate Maintenance (IM) funding.

You should also be aware that the ARRA funding program has been completed for some time.  There was talk a couple of years ago about a second round of ARRA-funded  projects, but that never happened.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on July 19, 2013, 07:59:34 PMIn this case, putting the "TO 117" info on the ground-mounted BGS panels makes the most sense.  If "TO 117" were put on the overhead BGS panels, it would not be possible to put the two destinations for US 20 and the two destinations for MA 117 on the same panels.  The destinations in question were already on the ground-mounts that were recently replaced, but without the MA 117 info.
Who said anything about placing 117 destinations on the main BGS?  I'm just saying move the US 20 shield to the left and place the TO letters in the middle and place the MA 117 shield on the right and get rid of the supplemental trailblazers.  Since MA 117 terminates at US 20 in Waltham, the listed eastbound control destination for US 20 East also applies for MA 117 East.

Since westbound MA 117 destinations aren't currently listed along I-95, I'm not even advocating such.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

I traveled along I-95/128 South on Saturday evening. In addition to the new ground mounted 'To MA 117' BGSs I also spotted new ground-mounted signs approaching the Mass Pike exit which indicated Using I-90 West to get to Worcester. I am assuming the new overheads will still just list Boston and Albany, NY for control cities.

In addition there was more new signage placed as part of the '128 Add-A-Lane' project further south. There was an additional new BGS for MA 109 and it appeared the 1/2 mile advance signs for US 1 South / To MA 1A had been replaced to match those previously put up at the interchange itself. As for widening work, most of the concrete barriers had been removed that separated the new lane under construction between MA 135 and MA 109, and beyond to the current open lane just north of US 1. If there hadn't been delays in building the new 109 Bridge, perhaps this section might have been ready to open shortly.

PHLBOS

Since this thread's been bumped up again, I thought I'd add this regarding the new TO 117 BGS'.

The addition of that BGS, while appropriate, unintentionally creates a redundancy (short-term(?)) regarding the listing of Wayland... at least along I-95 South (I didn't check the BGS' along I-95 North)

The new BGS in question (going by memory) reads TO 117 Wayland Littleton EXIT 26

Further down, there's an older overhead BGS that lists Wayland Marboro EXIT 26:
http://goo.gl/maps/H9P4N

I'm assuming that the replacement for the older BGS will no longer contain Wayland in it since it's already mentioned in the TO 117 BGS.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mass_citizen

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 23, 2013, 01:22:28 PM
Since this thread's been bumped up again, I thought I'd add this regarding the new TO 117 BGS'.

The addition of that BGS, while appropriate, unintentionally creates a redundancy (short-term(?)) regarding the listing of Wayland... at least along I-95 South (I didn't check the BGS' along I-95 North)

The new BGS in question (going by memory) reads TO 117 Wayland Littleton EXIT 26

I'm assuming that the replacement for the older BGS will no longer contain Wayland in it since it's already mentioned in the TO 117 BGS.

You are correct in this observation. The new 117 and older overhead are not that far apart. Perhaps this overhead is going to be eliminated completely rather than replaced as the more efficient way to get to Marlboro would be to take the next exit (Mass Pike) to I-495 rather than Route 20.

hotdogPi

Quote from: mass_citizen on September 23, 2013, 06:15:11 PM

You are correct in this observation. The new 117 and older overhead are not that far apart. Perhaps this overhead is going to be eliminated completely rather than replaced as the more efficient way to get to Marlboro would be to take the next exit (Mass Pike) to I-495 rather than Route 20.

But the Mass Pike isn't free. US 20 is the best way to do it without tolls.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

mass_citizen

Quote from: 1 on September 23, 2013, 06:41:00 PM

This is correct but the additional time and gas mileage may offset the $.70 toll.  Additionally I am not sure of state DOT's policy on signing alternate routes to avoid toll roads.

SidS1045

Quote from: 1 on September 23, 2013, 06:41:00 PM

Yes, you can get to Marlborough from 128 via US-20, if you're willing to spend half a day getting there, not to mention the waste of gasoline stopping at dozens of traffic signals and dealing with traffic congestion as US-20 wends its way through MetroWest suburbs on local streets.

Or, you can get on the Pike and be there in half an hour without the wasted gasoline or backed-up traffic.

This is really a cost-effectiveness calculation, with another factor you may have overlooked:  What is your time worth?
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman

The existing supplemental overheads are going to be removed and replaced with new ground-mount signs.  These new signs (which are in addition to the Route 117 ones) are going to read "Wayland Watertown Exit 26".  The rationale for removing "Marlboro" from the new signs is a)  the signs will now gives supplemental information for both directions on US 20 and b) as others here have pointed out, using US 20 is a horribly inefficent way to get from I-95 to Marlborough.

Note that the new "TO 117" ground-mounts read "TO 117 Lincoln Maynard Exit 26".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.