News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Long songs that you did not realized were lengthy

Started by roadman65, March 22, 2019, 11:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2019, 07:10:16 PM
Songs you thought were entitled something else: "Quinn The Eskimo." I always thought it was called "The Mighty Quinn." And didn't realize that it's a Bob Dylan song. I never knew who did the popular version until this week, when I found out it was Manfred Mann.

Meanwhile, I've only ever known it by Dylan and knew its proper title because of the album track list.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mark68

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 06, 2019, 06:20:29 PM
Pink Floyd has "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"  during the psychedelic era of the group.

Which was really just Roger Waters playing tape at different speeds forward & backward.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Mark68

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 28, 2019, 10:48:20 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 28, 2019, 10:43:05 PM
Mama from Genesis is surprisingly long.
Let It Rain from Eric Clapton is over 7 minutes.
Miracles from Jefferson Starship is just under 7 minutes.
Still Loving You by the Scorpions is over 6 and one half minutes as it only has two verses.
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Side one of Wish You Were Here) by Pink Floyd is long and it sounds long, but I never realized it exceeded 13 minutes.  I thought it was like 10, but I believe the vocals from Waters starts at about 10 after Gilmore's guitar which kicks in I believe at 5 minutes after the synthesizers have a long intro at the start.

Yeah and Shine On You Crazy Diamond was actually split onto the two sides of the Wish You Were Here album due to it not being able to fit otherwise.

I don't think it was not being able to fit it. I think they wanted to have it bookend the album as a tribute to Syd Barrett. It wasn't the first time they would have the end of the album sound like it continues to the beginning (if played again). The outro to "Eclipse" on Dark Side of the Moon could be played seamlessly into "Speak to Me". Likewise, the end of "Outside the Wall" on The Wall flows into the beginning of "In the Flesh?".

Animals is bookended by two relatively upbeat acoustic songs of exactly the same length ("Pigs on the Wing" Parts 1 & 2). Each one is a 1:24 bookend to the remaining three songs of heavy, dark, lengthy (38:52 between them) material.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

kevinb1994

Quote from: Mark68 on April 08, 2019, 01:51:34 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 28, 2019, 10:48:20 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 28, 2019, 10:43:05 PM
Mama from Genesis is surprisingly long.
Let It Rain from Eric Clapton is over 7 minutes.
Miracles from Jefferson Starship is just under 7 minutes.
Still Loving You by the Scorpions is over 6 and one half minutes as it only has two verses.
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Side one of Wish You Were Here) by Pink Floyd is long and it sounds long, but I never realized it exceeded 13 minutes.  I thought it was like 10, but I believe the vocals from Waters starts at about 10 after Gilmore's guitar which kicks in I believe at 5 minutes after the synthesizers have a long intro at the start.

Yeah and Shine On You Crazy Diamond was actually split onto the two sides of the Wish You Were Here album due to it not being able to fit otherwise.

I don't think it was not being able to fit it. I think they wanted to have it bookend the album as a tribute to Syd Barrett. It wasn't the first time they would have the end of the album sound like it continues to the beginning (if played again). The outro to "Eclipse" on Dark Side of the Moon could be played seamlessly into "Speak to Me". Likewise, the end of "Outside the Wall" on The Wall flows into the beginning of "In the Flesh?".

Animals is bookended by two relatively upbeat acoustic songs of exactly the same length ("Pigs on the Wing" Parts 1 & 2). Each one is a 1:24 bookend to the remaining three songs of heavy, dark, lengthy (38:52 between them) material.

No it was going to be just one song but I think they did realize that it would work better as bookends for the entire album.

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 06, 2019, 05:57:20 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on April 06, 2019, 10:26:04 AM
"The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria" comes in at 6:47 on Youtube.  A bit long no doubt but can anyone think of a song with a longer name?
By word count, "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand" is a tie.

Might need to cross-post that one in the Obsolete Songs thread.

Mid-2000s Fall Out Boy was pretty well known for their habit of long song titles: "Our Lawyer Made Us Change the Name of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued" (2005, 15 words), "I've Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth" (2005, 16 words), "I Slept with Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me" (2005, 19 words), "I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off" (2007, 14 words). After they broke up and got back together, they switched to more conventional, shorter song titles.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

I'm not sure if this is a comprehensive list, but it does feature a lot from The Flaming Lips (as expected). I think “My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion (The Inner Life as Blazing Shield of Defiance and Optimism as Celestial Spear of Action)” would be the highest/longest one that I own on that list. Since they were fond of parenthetical song titles (with Some Other Information in the Title That Only Made Sense if You're High), it almost doesn't count.

I do have to hand it to this one: “Long Song Titles Aren’t Cool Anymore Because the Rest of You Fuckers Are No Good at It” – Crime In Stereo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.