News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Quote from: Bitmapped on March 10, 2024, 07:53:28 PM
I was in Oakland yesterday and noticed that MD 219, the stub built for a potential Oakland bypass, is now signed at its intersection with US 219 and MD 135, but only from the US 219 northbound direction. I didn't have time to check to see if it was signed on its north end, but from Google Maps Street View, it does not appear to be.

It appears the MD 219 signs went up at the same time as signs banning trucks over 40 feet. I really don't understand the rationale for actually signing this route because it doesn't connect to anything and just serves to confuse drivers.

Very weird.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

TheOneKEA

Quote from: epzik8 on March 11, 2024, 01:12:42 PM
I was in Oakland yesterday and noticed that MD 219, the stub built for a potential Oakland bypass, is now signed at its intersection with US 219 and MD 135, but only from the US 219 northbound direction. I didn't have time to check to see if it was signed on its north end, but from Google Maps Street View, it does not appear to be.

It appears the MD 219 signs went up at the same time as signs banning trucks over 40 feet. I really don't understand the rationale for actually signing this route because it doesn't connect to anything and just serves to confuse drivers.

Very weird.

I have posted in the past about the absence of the Oakland Bypass and my belief that its continued absence is a serious chokepoint on a significant north-south route in Garrett County. I doubt this new sign is any indication of the revival of the Bypass and is merely a bookkeeping measure.

Bitmapped

Quote from: TheOneKEA on March 11, 2024, 08:46:24 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 11, 2024, 01:12:42 PM

Very weird.

I have posted in the past about the absence of the Oakland Bypass and my belief that its continued absence is a serious chokepoint on a significant north-south route in Garrett County. I doubt this new sign is any indication of the revival of the Bypass and is merely a bookkeeping measure.

The route has been on the books as MD 219 all along, it's just not been signed before.

While I would like to see the Oakland bypass completed, I don't think it's that big of an issue as there's not a lot of through traffic on the US 219 corridor. Most of the traffic in Oakland is going to/from Oakland.

I'd rather see the money that would go to an Oakland bypass be used for access management and widening of US 219 around Deep Creek Lake, where traffic is north of 10,000 VPD. Upgrading MD 42 between Friendsville and US 219 would also be a higher priority for me. Even upgrading Sand Flat Road, which functions as sort of an outer bypass for Oakland, would probably be more useful.

roadman65

I was noticing that BWI Airport has a special shield for all routes encircling it.  It has the Airport Loop above the parts of MD 170, 175, and 162 shields where along the airport property.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Welcome back, Alps and company.

roadman65

Was the Baltimore Travel Plaza at I-95 and Boston Street originally inside the current Best Western Plus Hotel?

The current TA Hotel looks smaller than I remembered it with the Best Western looking like the plaza I visited years ago.

I'm assuming they relocated to across the street and removed the original gas and convenience store to make the Best Western parking lot bigger.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

The bridge collapse last week had me looking at various maps and satellite imagery around Baltimore and I found myself wondering about two things:

(1) Was there ever a plan to link the two pieces of I-83 without running a concurrency along I-695? Looking at a map, it appears almost as though the northern stub end of the "city portion" (sometimes called the Jones Falls Expressway or JFX) was intended to continue further north, and it's not hard to visualize such a road curving slightly to the east just north of the Five Farms Golf Course to meet up with what is now I-83 near Cockeysville at the Warren Road interchange.

(2) Is there another major city with quite as many ramp stubs or ghost ramps as the Baltimore area has? They're not all old, either. While many of us are familiar with all the stubs on I-95 for I-70, the stub end of I-70 itself, the stubs on I-95 for I-83, and the stubs on I-95 at the Moravia Road interchange for the unbuilt portion of the Windlass Freeway, there are various others there, including provisions in the median of I-695 related to that same portion of the Windlass and some nearby provisions for where the Windlass would have continued northeast to Chase, the wide section of median on I-695 south of there where the Patapsco Freeway part of the Baltimore Beltway had been planned to cross Back River to meet up with what is now the I-695 routing, and a number of much more recently constructed stubs at the northeastern I-695/I-95 interchange where flyover ramps connecting to the I-95 express toll lanes were planned but deferred.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ixnay

Through another mb's thread on the Key Bridge tragedy, I found this link re MD 4's Thomas Johnson Bridge...

https://www.smcm.edu/slackwater/about-us/TJbridge/Bridge.html#:~:text=Eleven%20years%20later%2C%20in%201988,north%20to%20the%20Benedict%20Bridge.

How was the TJB allowed to be built so flimsily?

Rothman

Quote from: ixnay on April 01, 2024, 05:27:34 PMThrough another mb's thread on the Key Bridge tragedy, I found this link re MD 4's Thomas Johnson Bridge...

https://www.smcm.edu/slackwater/about-us/TJbridge/Bridge.html#:~:text=Eleven%20years%20later%2C%20in%201988,north%20to%20the%20Benedict%20Bridge.

What?  Sounds like it was just rehabbed when problems were found.  No biggie.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 01, 2024, 12:00:42 PM(1) Was there ever a plan to link the two pieces of I-83 without running a concurrency along I-695? Looking at a map, it appears almost as though the northern stub end of the "city portion" (sometimes called the Jones Falls Expressway or JFX) was intended to continue further north, and it's not hard to visualize such a road curving slightly to the east just north of the Five Farms Golf Course to meet up with what is now I-83 near Cockeysville at the Warren Road interchange.

Something along those lines was proposed as early as 1963, and looked at again in the 1970s.  According to the sites I checked, "intense local opposition" is what stopped it.  Instead, SHA widened I-83 from the Beltway to Exit 20 and added ramps at Exits 16 and 18.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 01, 2024, 12:00:42 PMThe bridge collapse last week had me looking at various maps and satellite imagery around Baltimore and I found myself wondering about two things:

(1) Was there ever a plan to link the two pieces of I-83 without running a concurrency along I-695? Looking at a map, it appears almost as though the northern stub end of the "city portion" (sometimes called the Jones Falls Expressway or JFX) was intended to continue further north, and it's not hard to visualize such a road curving slightly to the east just north of the Five Farms Golf Course to meet up with what is now I-83 near Cockeysville at the Warren Road interchange.

(2) Is there another major city with quite as many ramp stubs or ghost ramps as the Baltimore area has? They're not all old, either. While many of us are familiar with all the stubs on I-95 for I-70, the stub end of I-70 itself, the stubs on I-95 for I-83, and the stubs on I-95 at the Moravia Road interchange for the unbuilt portion of the Windlass Freeway, there are various others there, including provisions in the median of I-695 related to that same portion of the Windlass and some nearby provisions for where the Windlass would have continued northeast to Chase, the wide section of median on I-695 south of there where the Patapsco Freeway part of the Baltimore Beltway had been planned to cross Back River to meet up with what is now the I-695 routing, and a number of much more recently constructed stubs at the northeastern I-695/I-95 interchange where flyover ramps connecting to the I-95 express toll lanes were planned but deferred.
:hmmm:

The first paragraph about the Jones Falls Extension is similar to I-49 at Joplin, MO.  The freeway continues as MO 249 and shifts east to meet I-49 west of Carthage only to terminate at an at grade diamond set up.

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

Quote from: froggie on April 02, 2024, 01:01:21 AM"intense local opposition"

Also collectively known nowadays as the freeway revolts.

bluecountry

Looking at google maps, it appears there is a very easy ROW to accomodate the ICC being extended to at least the BW Parkway.  Has that ever been discussed and why has that not been done, it would seem to be an obvious addition.

MASTERNC

Quote from: bluecountry on April 02, 2024, 03:19:24 PMLooking at google maps, it appears there is a very easy ROW to accomodate the ICC being extended to at least the BW Parkway.  Has that ever been discussed and why has that not been done, it would seem to be an obvious addition.

My guess is because that segment of the Parkway belongs to the NPS?

The Ghostbuster

I doubt the MD 200 Intercounty Connector will ever be extended any further east. It was difficult enough trying to get the existing ICC constructed. Even if an extension to the BWP paralleled the power line corridor, there would still be homes and businesses that would need to be demolished, which would likely make such an extension a no-go.

ixnay

Quote from: Rothman on April 01, 2024, 11:22:56 PM
Quote from: ixnay on April 01, 2024, 05:27:34 PMThrough another mb's thread on the Key Bridge tragedy, I found this link re MD 4's Thomas Johnson Bridge...

That doesn't answer my question.

Rothman

Quote from: ixnay on April 02, 2024, 08:03:19 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 01, 2024, 11:22:56 PM

That doesn't answer my question.

Your question was built upon a false premise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bluecountry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 02, 2024, 03:57:52 PMI doubt the MD 200 Intercounty Connector will ever be extended any further east. It was difficult enough trying to get the existing ICC constructed. Even if an extension to the BWP paralleled the power line corridor, there would still be homes and businesses that would need to be demolished, which would likely make such an extension a no-go.
But it looks so easy, the ROW is there, a straight line, and really what good is the ICC without connecting to that corridor?

The Ghostbuster

Even in highway projects, looks can be deceiving. It looked easy to build Interstate 70 through Leakin Park. Just because building a road looks easy doesn't mean it is. There are many other factors that can make a project difficult and ultimately unfeasible, not to mention what the locals would have to say about it.

roadwaywiz95

Please join me for a special edition Webinar presentation on Friday 4/5 at 6 PM ET. It will feature a comprehensive examination of the Francis Scott Key Bridge disaster of March 26, 2024. Included will be a discussion of the history of the bridge, the circumstances surrounding its collapse, and the immediate recovery and salvage efforts already underway. We'll also be looking ahead at what to expect from a potential future replacement crossing over the next few years.

Link to Key Bridge Webinar:
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 01, 2024, 12:00:42 PM(1) Was there ever a plan to link the two pieces of I-83 without running a concurrency along I-695? Looking at a map, it appears almost as though the northern stub end of the "city portion" (sometimes called the Jones Falls Expressway or JFX) was intended to continue further north, and it's not hard to visualize such a road curving slightly to the east just north of the Five Farms Golf Course to meet up with what is now I-83 near Cockeysville at the Warren Road interchange.

Steve Anderson has some of the background on that unbuilt connection toward the bottom of the Jones Falls Expressway (I-83) page.

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 01, 2024, 12:00:42 PM(2) Is there another major city with quite as many ramp stubs or ghost ramps as the Baltimore area has?

I would guess Hartford and the surrounding area in Connecticut.

MASTERNC

Thought the current law didn't permit this (and they were looking to change it) but I saw for the first time a second speed camera zone within a work zone that was set up in the last few weeks. On I-95 south near Bel Air, there is the camera near MD 152 but now there is a separate camera setup 4 miles down in the same work zone. They use a full set of signage and a speed display for that one as well.

It's also the same thing going northbound: a camera zone near White Marsh and another (new in the past three weeks) near MD 152.

sprjus4

Quote from: bluecountry on April 02, 2024, 11:18:39 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 02, 2024, 03:57:52 PMI doubt the MD 200 Intercounty Connector will ever be extended any further east. It was difficult enough trying to get the existing ICC constructed. Even if an extension to the BWP paralleled the power line corridor, there would still be homes and businesses that would need to be demolished, which would likely make such an extension a no-go.
But it looks so easy, the ROW is there, a straight line, and really what good is the ICC without connecting to that corridor?
What straight line... the power lines?

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: bluecountry on April 02, 2024, 11:18:39 PM

There's no ROW there except for the power lines. There is absolutely no way you can put a freeway there.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

epzik8

Quote from: MASTERNC on April 05, 2024, 09:58:05 PMThought the current law didn't permit this (and they were looking to change it) but I saw for the first time a second speed camera zone within a work zone that was set up in the last few weeks. On I-95 south near Bel Air, there is the camera near MD 152 but now there is a separate camera setup 4 miles down in the same work zone. They use a full set of signage and a speed display for that one as well.

It's also the same thing going northbound: a camera zone near White Marsh and another (new in the past three weeks) near MD 152.

Thanks for the heads-up. The cameras are the main reason why driving through those areas are sometimes unnerving for me right now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.