News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gauging interest for a Long Island Road Meet

Started by dgolub, April 21, 2015, 09:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

As I mentioned on another thread at one point, I'm considering hosting my first meet later this year on Long Island.  This one would focus on Nassau County, both because it's where I grew up and because it would be easier to get to for people coming from our of the area.  Don't worry, though.  Even if we won't quite be going all the way out to the Montauk Point Lighthouse, there's still plenty of cool stuff to see.  My thought is to hold it at some point in October so that we can get into the parking fields at Jones Beach for free.  Highlights would include the following:

* Sea Cliff switchback
* Roslyn Viaduct reconstruction
* Throgs Neck Bridge (I-295)
* Nassau Expressway (NY 878) and Atlantic Beach Bridge
* Jones Beach
* Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway (NY 135) stub endings
* Bethpage Parkway super-2
* Pond traffic circle on Post Road (CR 4) in Old Westbury

Let me know if you might be interested in attending.

vdeane

I'm interested, especially as it would give me an excuse to do a roadtrip to Montauk Point after the meet, clinch NY's interstates, and finally visit Region 10.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Early October, I would probably end up there, though most of the items are already in my pocket. Maybe I have a couple other ideas I could throw out.

Duke87

Quote from: dgolub on April 21, 2015, 09:00:22 AM

This time hopefully via a ramp that actually exists. :bigass:

Kidding aside, all this stuff is basically in my backyard so I can mosey on over pretty effortlessly if I'm around that weekend.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

Difficult from here, but not impossible...depends on timing and finances.

Dougtone

Definitely a possibility here. I'm also interested in piggybacking some Suffolk County items of note and making this a multi day meet.

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on April 22, 2015, 01:06:08 AM
Quote from: dgolub on April 21, 2015, 09:00:22 AM

This time hopefully via a ramp that actually exists. :bigass:

Kidding aside, all this stuff is basically in my backyard so I can mosey on over pretty effortlessly if I'm around that weekend.

Just to clarify, my intent was to do a stop by/under the bridge off Bell Boulevard in Bayside but not to actually cross it.  That way, the meet will involve only one toll, the one for the Atlantic Beach Bridge.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on April 21, 2015, 08:44:14 PM
I'm interested, especially as it would give me an excuse to do a roadtrip to Montauk Point after the meet, clinch NY's interstates, and finally visit Region 10.

If there's interest, we could tack on a second day and use it to go out to Montauk.  We could clinch NY 27, or at least the Nassau/Suffolk part of it.

vdeane

Would this actually include a clinch of one or both segments of NY 878?  I got the western one after the Baltimore meet but am still missing the eastern one; I was thinking of incorporating it into my route to/from the meet if it's not included.

Quote from: Dougtone on April 22, 2015, 10:01:30 AM
Definitely a possibility here. I'm also interested in piggybacking some Suffolk County items of note and making this a multi day meet.
That would be fun.  I could envision a gradual progression eastward on the island for my travels before heading home.

Quote from: dgolub on April 22, 2015, 07:23:04 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 21, 2015, 08:44:14 PM

If there's interest, we could tack on a second day and use it to go out to Montauk.  We could clinch NY 27, or at least the Nassau/Suffolk part of it.
An interesting idea.  My plan was to clinch I-495, take NY 25 to its end, then NY 114 to NY 27, head its end, then head back down NY 27 at least as far as NY 24.  That could easily be added as part of an "after meet" day, even with Doug's meet, at least if we used Columbus Day weekend (though the traffic would probably be heavier that weekend).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on April 22, 2015, 09:24:39 PM
Would this actually include a clinch of one or both segments of NY 878?  I got the western one after the Baltimore meet but am still missing the eastern one; I was thinking of incorporating it into my route to/from the meet if it's not included.

My plan was to include the Nassau segment of NY 878.  It might be one block short of a clinch, since I was thinking of approaching it via Bay Boulevard (Nassau CR 2A), but we could always loop around to get the whole thing.  There are some cool signs approaching it from Rockaway Turnpike (Nassau CR 257), so it might be worth the two-minute detour.

cpzilliacus

I would be interested, as long as it does not compete with a meeting I will be attending in Austin, Texas (I think Austin is in November).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

brianreynolds

As already said by others, I am interested.  Timing and finances will be determining factors.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.