News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 04, 2014, 11:17:29 AM
I have a 1967 Hagstrom that shows I-878 on the Bruckner east of the Sheridan.
This is correct.

SignBridge

Thanks guys; I stand corrected. But do those old maps show the Bruckner Expwy. as I-278 west of the Sheridan Expwy. to the Triboro Br?

And wasn't the Nassau Expwy. in Queens also signed as I-878 originally? Today it's signed as NY-878.

02 Park Ave

What was the Sheridan Expressway shown as?
C-o-H

Duke87

The map I have has 278 on the Bruckner west of the Sheridan. It has no shield on the Sheridan itself, leaving it somewhat ambiguous.

Can't comment on what the current 878 was since it's only a map of The Bronx.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

I think at the time of Duke's 1967 map and at the time (mid-1970s) of the contract plans I posted earlier, the Nassau was signed as I-78.  Actually I think it was signed that way up until the mid-1980s.  The I-878 designation didn't come into play until the late 80s.  I'm not sure when NY-878 shields went up.

This photo shows a ghost I-78 shield....look closely.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

D-Dey65

New New York topic; Was the Suffolk County Department of Public Works ever planning to extend Nicolls Road (SCR 97) southeast of Montauk Highway into Blue Point itself? That widened median looks like an incomplete diamond interchange, and moreso when it was originally built.

storm2k

Drove the Cross Bronx from the GWB to the Whitestone Expy the other day. It looks like NYSDOT replaced all of the signage past from the PA's jurisdiction through to the Bruckner interchange. I think there were some pictures scattered in this thread earlier this year. I'm most impressed that they acutally acknowledge US1 on the BGS's at the Jerome Ave exit now. Also, it looks like they've fixed all the exit numbering back to mileage based and not sequential (if I'm not mistaken, the exits on the PA part under the apartments is still wrong, though).

vdeane

Some PA signs have been fixed back to mile-based due to the Alexander Hamilton Bridge project.  Most are still wrong.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 07, 2014, 12:10:11 AM
The map I have has 278 on the Bruckner west of the Sheridan. It has no shield on the Sheridan itself, leaving it somewhat ambiguous.

Can't comment on what the current 878 was since it's only a map of The Bronx.
278 used the Sheridan, Nassau was 78, as was the Clearview.

J Route Z

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but how come there is a "Dept. of Transportation" decal on every single traffic sign in NYC? (strangely except street signs attached to poles) Actually there are a few "one way" signs that don't have it. But a lot do. 

cl94

Quote from: J Route Z on October 11, 2014, 08:33:04 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but how come there is a "Dept. of Transportation" decal on every single traffic sign in NYC? (strangely except street signs attached to poles) Actually there are a few "one way" signs that don't have it. But a lot do.

Indicates ownership. If a sign is stolen, it will be recognized as a stolen sign if someone tries to sell it. Far from the only jurisdiction with an identifying mark. In New York, the Town of Hempstead puts "TOH" in the same location, NYSTA puts it's acronym at the bottom of (at least newer) signs, and Erie County puts "EC" on new signs.

TL;DR: It's a branding mark so it can't be stolen and resold as a generic sign
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

Another question;

Before the Throgs Neck Bridge was built, there used to be this bi-directional southbound off-ramp leading to Bell Boulevard. Should that ramp be revived, but only for traffic coming off the Throgs Neck Bridge?

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: doofy103 on October 07, 2014, 12:22:43 AM
I think at the time of Duke's 1967 map and at the time (mid-1970s) of the contract plans I posted earlier, the Nassau was signed as I-78.  Actually I think it was signed that way up until the mid-1980s.  The I-878 designation didn't come into play until the late 80s.  I'm not sure when NY-878 shields went up.

This photo shows a ghost I-78 shield....look closely.

Can BARELY see it - won't spoil it for other searchers...

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 26, 2014, 02:11:44 PM
Another question;

Before the Throgs Neck Bridge was built, there used to be this bi-directional southbound off-ramp leading to Bell Boulevard. Should that ramp be revived, but only for traffic coming off the Throgs Neck Bridge?

No. It's a RIRO and it would be really hard to add a deceleration lane. I see it causing more problems than if one just got off the Clearview at the next exit and took local streets or immediately got back on, exiting at Willets Point Boulevard. I picture a bunch of rear-end accidents if the ramp is reopened.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

AMLNet49

I don't know if anyone else is like me, but in New York/New Jersey, I see the state route versions of 3DIs as just part of the 3DI because most of the 3DIs don't even meet Interstate standards anyway so it really doesn't make a difference in my eyes if it says NY 878 or I-878, NJ-495 or I-495, because it's the interstate number in practice and in the eyes of everyone who drives it

Pete from Boston

It's likely that only a tiny minority thinks of New Jersey's I-495 anymore at all, and about as many think of NJ 495 in the same context as New York's present I-495. 

roadman65

Is not NJ 495 still called Route 3?

Also is the section of I-495 that is technically NY 495 regarded as it because of the RIRO under the Pulaski Bridge near the Tunnel Plaza?  Even though it is signed as I-495, the maps still show it as NY 495 and that quick turn after the toll really would not qualify as interstate standards I would imagine.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2014, 10:40:33 PM
Is not NJ 495 still called Route 3?

Never heard it referred to as such. NJ 3 ends at US 1-9. I've always heard "495" or "Lincoln Tunnel approach".

Pete from Boston

I last heard someone refer to 495 as Route 3 in about 1980, but that doesn't mean no one says it.  The traffic reporters say "Bergen Viaduct" sometimes, but it is uncommon in everday conversation. 

Pete from Boston

(With "the Helix" referred to separately, of course.)

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 27, 2014, 10:48:35 PM
I last heard someone refer to 495 as Route 3 in about 1980, but that doesn't mean no one says it.  The traffic reporters say "Bergen Viaduct" sometimes, but it is uncommon in everday conversation. 
I always say "take Route 3 to the tunnel." Picked it up from my parents, who predate 1980, but I still catch myself using it.

vdeane

Quote from: AMLNet49 on October 27, 2014, 10:20:00 PM
I don't know if anyone else is like me, but in New York/New Jersey, I see the state route versions of 3DIs as just part of the 3DI because most of the 3DIs don't even meet Interstate standards anyway so it really doesn't make a difference in my eyes if it says NY 878 or I-878, NJ-495 or I-495, because it's the interstate number in practice and in the eyes of everyone who drives it
That's how it works in NY, especially since everything is "route X".  Most people from Rochester don't consider I-590 and NY 590 to be separate roads but rather one continuous road (and the mileposts reflect that).  Ditto for 390, 690, 890, and 787.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

Quote from: vdeane on October 28, 2014, 12:55:08 PM
Quote from: AMLNet49 on October 27, 2014, 10:20:00 PM
That's how it works in NY, especially since everything is "route X".  Most people from Rochester don't consider I-590 and NY 590 to be separate roads but rather one continuous road (and the mileposts reflect that).  Ditto for 390, 690, 890, and 787.

Add I-481/NY 481 to that list, though it's only NY 481 that has mileposts and not I-481 at the moment.    I-690 and NY 690 both recently received new mileposts combining both routes into one milepost scheme.

I-790 and (future) NY 790 could probably be added to that list someday if the plan to extend NY 790 over NY 49 and NY 365 ever comes to fruition. :)

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on October 28, 2014, 12:13:53 AM
I always say "take Route 3 to the tunnel." Picked it up from my parents, who predate 1980, but I still catch myself using it.

I don't see this phrasing as meaning to imply that 495 is part of 3 so much as it is just shorthand. "Take route 3 to route 495 to the tunnel" is more technically correct but also more wordy. "Take route 3 to the tunnel" ignores the 495 designation but sufficiently conveys the necessary information, because drivers will clearly see signs saying "Lincoln Tunnel" when they get to the 3/495 junction.

Hell, when I write down or describe my routes, I often omit and leave implied little steps. I've stated "I-80 to the George Washington Bridge" plenty of times. This neglects to explicitly state that one technically must get on I-95 first, but it isn't necessary to say that since there isn't another logical route to get from 80 to the GWB.

Indeed, this is something I find annoying about the "step by step" directions generated by computers. They relay the most obvious steps with equal prominence to the most counterintuitive ones. It's as if they are written for mindless idiots who have no clue how to navigate and are just blindly following instructions or something.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 29, 2014, 12:38:10 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 28, 2014, 12:13:53 AM

I don't see this phrasing as meaning to imply that 495 is part of 3 so much as it is just shorthand. "Take route 3 to route 495 to the tunnel" is more technically correct but also more wordy. "Take route 3 to the tunnel" ignores the 495 designation but sufficiently conveys the necessary information, because drivers will clearly see signs saying "Lincoln Tunnel" when they get to the 3/495 junction.

Hell, when I write down or describe my routes, I often omit and leave implied little steps. I've stated "I-80 to the George Washington Bridge" plenty of times. This neglects to explicitly state that one technically must get on I-95 first, but it isn't necessary to say that since there isn't another logical route to get from 80 to the GWB.

Indeed, this is something I find annoying about the "step by step" directions generated by computers. They relay the most obvious steps with equal prominence to the most counterintuitive ones. It's as if they are written for mindless idiots who have no clue how to navigate and are just blindly following instructions or something.
No dude, I say "take Route 3 to Hoboken" too. Trust me, 495 never enters my consciousness. I've heard it as "I-495" more often than "Route 3", but nonzero times.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.