News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

[MD] Baltimore City Roads Questions

Started by iwishiwascanadian, January 25, 2013, 03:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwishiwascanadian

Why doesn't the SHA maintain state routes (MD-2, MD-45, MD-542, US-40, I-83, etc.) in Baltimore City?  It isn't as if the City maintains ALL public roads (MdTA maintains I-95 in Baltimore City), so why doesn't SHA maintain the state routes? I think the City could use the lifted burden.

Also, can't the city find some federal/state funding to actually synchronize traffic lights throughout the city?  It's a breeze moving from north to south (this is coming from someone living in Towson), but going from East to West is such a pain that I rather use the Beltway (especially if it during rush hour).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on January 25, 2013, 03:20:21 AM
Why doesn't the SHA maintain state routes (MD-2, MD-45, MD-542, US-40, I-83, etc.) in Baltimore City?  It isn't as if the City maintains ALL public roads (MdTA maintains I-95 in Baltimore City), so why doesn't SHA maintain the state routes? I think the City could use the lifted burden.

It's a long-standing agreement between the state and Baltimore City - and  because Baltimore City, by formula, gets half (off the top) of what the state sets aside to help Maryland local governments fund their street and road networks.  As I understand it, Baltimore actually pays the MdTA something to maintain and operate I-95 in the  city (which make some sense, since the MdTA always had the Fort McHenry  Tunnel and the "close" approaches to the tubes.

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on January 25, 2013, 03:20:21 AM
Also, can't the city find some federal/state funding to actually synchronize traffic lights throughout the city?  It's a breeze moving from north to south (this is coming from someone living in Towson), but going from East to West is such a pain that I rather use the Beltway (especially if it during rush hour).

I suspect that the signals are timed to favor radial movements along roads leading to and from downtown Baltimore, which means that drivers on circumferential roads like Northern Parkway just have to wait at the lights.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

I only wish that Baltimore City would shield US 1 and some of the other state designations. They have some, but not everyplace they should be.  Where US 1 goes NB from Wilkens to Fulton there is (or was as I was there last in 03) shield assembly stating the turn.  Also, the arrow was stolen from the assembly on NB Fulton at North Avenue where US 1 turns right along with no mention of MD 140 taking over Fulton.

I guess that is suppose that City officials see the streets as such and forget that some are part of the highway system whether state of federal.  I wonder how many who live on North Avenue know that it is US 1, or even Truck US 40?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on January 27, 2013, 11:30:08 AM
I only wish that Baltimore City would shield US 1 and some of the other state designations. They have some, but not everyplace they should be.  Where US 1 goes NB from Wilkens to Fulton there is (or was as I was there last in 03) shield assembly stating the turn.  Also, the arrow was stolen from the assembly on NB Fulton at North Avenue where US 1 turns right along with no mention of MD 140 taking over Fulton.

I have not looked closely at the signing of U.S. and Maryland routes in Baltimore City in recent years, but what you say above makes intuitive sense. 

Most of the circle (Virginia secondary-style) shields in Baltimore seem to have disappeared (they were once pretty common along Md. 140 (Reisterstown Road), and other state routes in the city).

Quote from: roadman65 on January 27, 2013, 11:30:08 AM
I guess that is suppose that City officials see the streets as such and forget that some are part of the highway system whether state of federal.  I wonder how many who live on North Avenue know that it is US 1, or even Truck US 40?

Similar story in the District of Columbia.  I don't think anyone not closely acquainted with the paths of U.S. 1, U.S. 1 Alternate, U.S. 29 and U.S. 50 in D.C. would be able to correctly follow them through the city. 

More than once, DDOT (D.C. DOT) or its predecessor agencies have installed NO LEFT TURN signage where one of these routes turns left, quite possibly at the behest one of the city Advisory Neighborhood Commissions (ANCs), though such erroneous signs usually get removed when the mistake is pointed out to the right person.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

iwishiwascanadian

It would also be helpful is Baltimore City had better (larger) street signs, I'm thinking of the ones around the size of the ones in Baltimore County or in Montgomery County.  It's hard to figure out how to get around without innately knowing where the side streets are because they aren't signed as well as the arterial roads. 

kj3400

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on January 29, 2013, 07:00:37 PM
It would also be helpful is Baltimore City had better (larger) street signs, I'm thinking of the ones around the size of the ones in Baltimore County or in Montgomery County.  It's hard to figure out how to get around without innately knowing where the side streets are because they aren't signed as well as the arterial roads. 

Yes, and in most cases the main streets aren't even signed for the side streets.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Laura

Quote from: kj3400 on February 07, 2013, 03:41:59 PM
Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on January 29, 2013, 07:00:37 PM

Yes, and in most cases the main streets aren't even signed for the side streets.

The signage really varies. I love the large green signs at the traffic lights - they are slowly getting replaced by smaller MUTCD signs (boo) but they've recently replaced the ones on Harford Rd with gigantic signs.

As for west-east routes, you just have to know which routes to take and certain lane advantages along the route. I take Cold Spring Lane a lot and make good use of places where it's better to be in one lane or another. I avoid Northern Pkwy like the plague at rush hour and opt for Lake Ave or Cold Spring.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.