News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2019 Road Trip plans.

Started by ce929wax, November 13, 2018, 01:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I might finally make it to Nova Scotia this year, my dad keeps mentioning it but we always go somewhere else.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on January 31, 2019, 09:32:13 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 31, 2019, 09:27:01 AM
Kids want to go to DC this summer; I want to check out Cumberland Gap along the way up but not sure what to pick for an overnight on the way home.

Maybe the kids would be interested in the Great Smoky Mountains or some Civil War battle location. Or maybe extend the trip a day, doing some things in Atlanta. (I assume HSV in your profile is Huntsville, AL.)

Might take a side trip to Great Smoky Mountains, but it seems like a trip to Pigeon Forge (et al) in and of itself. I might just go back in one day depending on how many things they want to do in the capital.

My son has also been recently fascinated with the idea of visiting Four Corners, but that will be 2020 at the soonest. Not sure if they want to fly-then-drive that one, along with other sights that I've never seen. Both our cars are getting older and I'd rather rent something when population gets a bit sparse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 31, 2019, 08:11:22 AM
Not entirely by road, but we have a family vacation planned where we will fly to LAX, the drive a loop to Disneyland, San Diego, Tucson, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas and then back to LAX for the flight home.

Sounds like you'll get some kick ass roads on your route of travel like AZ 89A, Oatman Highway and the Catalina Highway if you want them. 

Speaking of trips, just got back from Florida this past week.  I had some State Road and highway clinches in mind that I've been looking to finish in photo form.  Probably the most relevant to the "roadgeeking" group was a photo clinch of the route of I-4, my personal favorite was FL 50 due to it being a route I used frequently in the past.

kphoger

I've been hemming and hawing about whether I should try for a family vacation to Chicago this fall.  I might wait till our youngest child is old enough to appreciate museums more, though.  If we do it, I would plan to drive to a hotel near Midway, then use public transit exclusively during our time there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on January 31, 2019, 01:34:14 PM
I've been hemming and hawing about whether I should try for a family vacation to Chicago this fall.  I might wait till our youngest child is old enough to appreciate museums more, though.  If we do it, I would plan to drive to a hotel near Midway, then use public transit exclusively during our time there.

If you come, go to https://www.citypass.com/chicago where you can get admission to 5 attractions for one low price, plus you get to skip the lines at the Willis (Sears) Tower skydeck. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 31, 2019, 04:21:51 PM

Quote from: kphoger on January 31, 2019, 01:34:14 PM

If you come, go to https://www.citypass.com/chicago where you can get admission to 5 attractions for one low price, plus you get to skip the lines at the Willis (Sears) Tower skydeck. 

For the ones I'm interested in taking my family to, it's actually cheaper to buy individual tickets.  But I agree that's a good deal, and I've looked into it a couple of times.  I'm more in the dark about Ventra, which didn't exist back when I lived there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kurumi

Meeting up with friends in Gainesville this year; taking some time before that to visit Savannah and Charleston, pick up a lot of new US route numbers, 2 new 2di's, 2 new 3di's.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Alps

The only major driving trip I foresee is Utah, the only state besides Hawaii I've been to just once. That's still flying out there then driving, but there will be enough road miles to justify it. It'll include a side jaunt through NV and a dip into AZ.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on February 01, 2019, 03:54:41 PM
The only major driving trip I foresee is Utah, the only state besides Hawaii I've been to just once. That's still flying out there then driving, but there will be enough road miles to justify it. It'll include a side jaunt through NV and a dip into AZ.

Sounds like US 163 is probably part of the route if not some of the more notable stuff in Southern Utah?  Fairly strong chance I'll be out that way myself in April or around early October.    If it's the former I'll be re-clinching UT 9 and UT 12 again since we would be camping in Escalante.   

davmillar

Quote from: ce929wax on November 13, 2018, 01:27:54 AM
I was planning a trip to Texas, but some of my priorities in life have changed and I need to think smaller for right now.

I'm a former Michigander living in Texas now. If you make it down this way in the future, hit me up and I'll take you to the best taco place in Fort Worth.

My plans this year are tentatively small and local-ish:
- Do US-287 from Fort Worth northwest for as far as is feasible within the state.
- Look up the historic Bankhead Highway which apparently runs right along where I live and see more of it westward from home.
- Late last year I went to see the historic Possum Kingdom Bridgeon TX state hwy 16 and I might try to go back and do TX-16 from I-20 northward.
- Budget permitting, there's a conference in Boulder I'd like to attend, and I'm considering driving and roadgeekery on the way.
Try out my puzzle game Interst8 at https://interst8.us

ce929wax

Sounds great on the taco place.  Where in Michigan are you from? I graduated high school from Waxahachie High.

I live in Kalamazoo, but am from Allegan.

davmillar

Quote from: ce929wax on February 08, 2019, 09:38:14 PM
Sounds great on the taco place.  Where in Michigan are you from? I graduated high school from Waxahachie High.

I live in Kalamazoo, but am from Allegan.
Grew up in Saginaw, MI, lived in Grand Rapids for a bit over 7 years.
Try out my puzzle game Interst8 at https://interst8.us

US 41

I'm planning on driving to Yellowstone this summer. Then from there making a stop in Twin Falls. From there I will drive to Walla Walla and take US 12 to Minnesota before heading back home.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kevinb1994

This spring (probably in April) we may simply head west to Tallahassee to check out a museum or two there.

Max Rockatansky

I'll be heading to Chicago and Detroit next month for a week.  Since I knocked out most of the road stuff I wanted in Chicago in 2017 I'll probably be focusing on more city related stuff this time around.  The only real destination I have on the list is the Indiana Dunes since they were elevated to a National Park.  In Detroit I'm definitely doing all of M1 but the rest is open ended. 

In May I'm probably heading to San Diego.  That will likely be another highway mega trip like I did recently in the Bay Area.  I primarily want to focus on the Inland Empire over the weekend after San Diego and the mountain highways. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 09, 2019, 05:45:16 PM
I'll be heading to Chicago and Detroit next month for a week.  Since I knocked out most of the road stuff I wanted in Chicago in 2017 I'll probably be focusing on more city related stuff this time around.  The only real destination I have on the list is the Indiana Dunes since they were elevated to a National Park.  In Detroit I'm definitely doing all of M1 but the rest is open ended. 

In May I'm probably heading to San Diego.  That will likely be another highway mega trip like I did recently in the Bay Area.  I primarily want to focus on the Inland Empire over the weekend after San Diego and the mountain highways. 

If you use 80/94 to cross the state line from Illinois to Indiana, make sure to wave as you go by.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 10, 2019, 11:03:10 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 09, 2019, 05:45:16 PM

If you use 80/94 to cross the state line from Illinois to Indiana, make sure to wave as you go by.

I might actually be heading that way this time.  When I went through last I used the Skyway and got photos I was happy with.  Granted this will be a weekday unlike last time. 

wanderer2575

I'm just starting to plan a roadtrip sometime middle to end of April from Metro Detroit to Atlantic NC to get a photo of the END US-70 assembly -- I hope it's still there after the hurricane.  I'm looking into routes with possible good sign photo opportunities; I'm hoping to come across some good sine salads in NC.

hbelkins

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 10, 2019, 12:40:51 PM
I'm just starting to plan a roadtrip sometime middle to end of April from Metro Detroit to Atlantic NC to get a photo of the END US-70 assembly -- I hope it's still there after the hurricane.  I'm looking into routes with possible good sign photo opportunities; I'm hoping to come across some good sine salads in NC.

Lots of cutouts in Norton, Va., which could potentially be on your route. Several salads in Bristol, Va., which would be a short detour off US 23.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

When I go to the Jefferson Highway Conference in April, I'll probably try to clinch it in Louisiana and also look for lost sections of 71.

I already mentioned I may try to finish US 79, but beyond that, I'm not certain. I'd like to go back to South Dakota again (last time was 2009)but I don't know if I'll make it this year. Now that the time has shifted, maybe I'll be more inspired.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

D-Dey65

I mentioned my proposed trip to the New York Tri-State area in May, but somebody has been trying to persuade me into taking a second one in October.

On my way up on at least one of these, I've been considering stopping in the Point South-Pocotaligo area of South Carolina. Speaking of which, I took a GSV of that and much to my surprise, I saw an abandoned southbound lane of US 17 in the interchange with I-95. I'd try to find evidence of it on Historic Aerials Online, but that website hasn't been letting me scan any locations lately.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Looks like I'll finally follow through on my Iowa/Illinois Lincoln Highway trip (aka Columbus-Omaha-Chicago-Columbus) in April.
I'm also taking the scenic route from C-bus to Lexington, Ky. in a couple of weeks. This trip should finally clinch every county in  Ohio for me (after 44+ years).
And of course whatever roadmeets come our way.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 12, 2019, 10:23:49 PM
I'm also taking the scenic route from C-bus to Lexington, Ky. in a couple of weeks.

And what route would that be? US 62 and US 68?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on March 13, 2019, 09:58:19 AM
I'm also taking the scenic route from C-bus to Lexington, Ky. in a couple of weeks.

For the return trip.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 13, 2019, 05:31:47 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 13, 2019, 09:58:19 AM

For the return trip.

My preferred route to your area is US 23. The construction of KY 67 several years ago, and the existence of the Portsmouth bypass now, will only serve to reinforce that preference.

Several years ago, I did use US 62 out of Maysville to a certain point; I can't remember where I got on I-71 to complete the trip.

My last trip to Dayton, I used US 68 and OH 73. I'm becoming increasingly intolerant of Cincinnati-area traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.