News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

"Name That Arcade Game"

Started by thenetwork, June 18, 2013, 09:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

After seeing the long thread on highways in video games, an old (and I mean OLD) coin-op arcade driving game popped into my mind.   The only time I saw this game was at the long-gone Idora Park in Youngstown, OH about 30 years ago and it probably was that much old when I saw it. I don't know the name of the game, but I figured if I include enough description, someone can ID it and I can look up more details of the game on the internet. 

Here is what I know about the game:

- It was a driving game (not sure if it was a stand-up or sit-down game)
- The option was to keep your "car" -- consisting of a red car-shaped block of wood -- within your lane
- The wooden car had a set of red "tail lights" if you were not within a lane, and a set of green "tail lights" if you were within your lane.

Here is what separates this game with other "driving games"...

-  The wooden car was against a projection screen which showed a looping film scene(s) of driving on actual stretches of a 1950's or 60's era freeway(s).  Looking back on a fuzzy 30-some year memory, I want to say it looked like a California-style 6-8 lane freeway (possibly San Francisco) and one of the exits was possibly a  "St. Regis Street"?

1) Can anybody Identify &/or remember playing this arcade game?
2) What stretch(es) of freeway were filmed for use in the game?

:hmmm:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.