News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Turn Signals in Roundabouts

Started by MCRoads, May 15, 2021, 12:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

Me and my dad had a disagreement about if you need to signal in roundabouts. I think you need to. If you are taking the first exit, signal before you enter the circle. If you are taking the second/third/Nth exit, signal slightly before you exit. My mom does too. My dad thinks you don't need to.

This got me thinking. What are the rules pertaining to signaling in roundabouts? Some states say you do, some states say you don't. Some states I couldn't find anything about it.

So, what are your thoughts?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

1995hoo

Yes, you should always signal. Roundabouts work best when people need not guess what the other driver will do, and that especially applies to people entering the roundabout–if the driver on the roundabout signals to say he's exiting, the driver entering the roundabout knows he need not stop. Properly using a blinker makes it easier and faster for everyone.

I learned the British way of signalling at roundabouts and I use that method, with the directions reversed for driving on the other side of the road here: If you're taking the first exit (turning right), approach in the right lane, signal right and keep your signal on until you have taken the first exit. If you're taking the second exit (going straight), approach in either lane,* don't signal on approach, and signal right prior to reaching your exit and until you have exited. If you're taking the third exit (making a left turn), approach in the left lane, signal left and keep your signal on until you've passed the exit before yours, and then signal right and keep the right blinker on until you've exited. The reason for doing it that way is that, if everyone does it that way, it eliminates ambiguity–you always know whether the car on the roundabout is staying on or exiting, whereas otherwise you have to guess.

*Either lane–I haven't seen a proper roundabout (as opposed to a traffic circle) in the US with more than two lanes. Virginia, for one, doesn't build them with more than two lanes. If a roundabout has only one lane, then obviously lane discipline is moot but the blinker use is still proper.

Regarding state instructions, I don't know if Virginia has "rules" codified into law, but the DMV driving manual refers to the lane assignments I mentioned and says to signal right before you exit, but it doesn't mention signalling left if you go more than halfway around. I picked that up in the UK and I continue to do it because it makes sense to me.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TEG24601

Signal to get into the appropriate lane.
Signal if you are turning right or left, so that the drivers know what your intention is at the legs.  No signal means straight.
Signal when you exit.

These are the rules of the roundabout.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

cjw2001

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 15, 2021, 03:07:41 PM
Signal if you are turning right or left, so that the drivers know what your intention is at the legs.  No signal means straight.
Signal when you exit.

These are the rules of the roundabout.

Correct - the signal rules are exactly the same as any other intersection - right signal for right exit, left signal for left exit, no signal for continuing on the same road.

Using the left turn signal helps to greatly reduce the occurrence of oncoming traffic blowing through the yield sign assuming that you are going to go straight.

Elm

My introduction to roundabouts was with the same type of signaling MCRoads described, and I still do that. That seems to still be the usual guidance around here (a little further away, Estes Park refers to this pamphlet, for instance), but I wouldn't say it's typical for people to signal, and I don't expect it or necessarily trust them.

But more interesting, I think: I came by this Grand Junction news article from last July, "No turn signals in roundabouts, court rules."
QuoteIn a case out of Mesa County, a three-judge panel unanimously ruled that Colorado law dealing with turn signals is clear that whenever a motorist moves left or right from one roadway onto another they are required to signal that turn.

But that same law doesn't include roundabouts, and other traffic laws that specifically address roundabouts say nothing about the need to signal entering or exiting one, the court said.

Using a case out of Alaska as guidance, the Colorado judges agreed that turn signals in roundabouts are not only impractical, but easily could confuse other motorists.

[The article has more musing and some of the odd background for the case. There's also a reference to a a failed 2017 bill to explicitly not require turn signals for roundabouts in Colorado.]

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 15, 2021, 08:17:46 AM
I learned the British way of signalling at roundabouts and I use that method, with the directions reversed for driving on the other side of the road here: If you're taking the first exit (turning right), approach in the right lane, signal right and keep your signal on until you have taken the first exit. If you're taking the second exit (going straight), approach in either lane,* don't signal on approach, and signal right prior to reaching your exit and until you have exited. If you're taking the third exit (making a left turn), approach in the left lane, signal left and keep your signal on until you've passed the exit before yours, and then signal right and keep the right blinker on until you've exited. The reason for doing it that way is that, if everyone does it that way, it eliminates ambiguity–you always know whether the car on the roundabout is staying on or exiting, whereas otherwise you have to guess.

*Either lane–I haven't seen a proper roundabout (as opposed to a traffic circle) in the US with more than two lanes. Virginia, for one, doesn't build them with more than two lanes. If a roundabout has only one lane, then obviously lane discipline is moot but the blinker use is still proper.

I've said this before, the old-fashioned British way was to use the shortest path across the roundabout or traffic circle.  For the larger roundabouts, that results in something almost exactly like what 1995hoo said.  If the shortest route takes you across all of the lanes, the turn signal remains on during that movement.  As you move back to the outside lanes, the shortest route is a spiral from lane-to-lane-to-lane until you exit and you should indeed use the turn signal each time you get ready to cross the lines, but smaller multi-lane roundabouts may require a continuous signal to get across those lanes.

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 15, 2021, 03:07:41 PM
Signal when you exit.

Totally agree, but the "signal when you exit" rule should always be used even when you are going straight.  This makes every movement perfectly clear.

1995hoo

"Signal when you exit" is critical because it removes ambiguity–you don't have to ask "is he going straight, or is he just another asshole who refuses to use his damn blinker?"
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

I use my blinkers the same as any other intersection: nothing for straight, left for left, right for right. Difference being that I always signal right when exiting, so entering traffic doesn't need to wait and see what I'm doing*

* truth be told, it seems few drivers care whether I signal right when exiting, opting to wait regardless.

kphoger

I always signal to exit.

I also signal at entry, but I'm not sure it matters.  The arguments in favor on here were rather unconvincing to me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2021, 03:55:27 PM
I also signal at entry, but I'm not sure it matters.  The arguments in favor on here were rather unconvincing to me.

Probably because no matter what anyone says, it can be rebutted with "it doesn't matter". There's literally only one possible movement when entering a roundabout. You guessed it... enter the roundabout!

andrepoiy

I almost crashed a few days ago by entering a roundabout in which I thought someone was going straight, but instead actually was turning left... the fact that not everyone uses turn signals, in the same way, is a great cause for confusion. (It was a 2 lane roundabout)

jakeroot

If you don't signal at entry, drivers at the next entry leg don't know whether you are going to conflict with them. This makes them have to wait, and reduces capacity.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2021, 04:27:08 PM

If you don't signal at entry, drivers at the next entry leg don't know whether you are going to conflict with them. This makes them have to wait, and reduces capacity.

The only time it would matter is if you're turning right, and in that case, you'd just signal to exit.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on May 18, 2021, 04:29:53 PM

The only time it would matter is if you're turning right, and in that case, you'd just signal to exit.

That implies traffic beyond the roundabout isn't relevant, which is simply false. Traffic entering from your left, even if they're not yet in the roundabout, are mere moments from potentially conflicting with your path of travel. This is especially true at small, single-lane roundabouts.

kphoger

So do you signal left upon entry when going straight through a standard four-way roundabout–that is, when taking the second exit?  I thought convention was to use no signal upon entry in that case.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2021, 04:59:10 PM

So do you signal left upon entry when going straight through a standard four-way roundabout–that is, when taking the second exit?  I thought convention was to use no signal upon entry in that case.

It's really about whether you're turning right or not. If you're turning left or going straight, using the appropriate signals (or lack thereof) alerts drivers at the succeeding leg that you are about to conflict with them. If you're turning right, a right signal alerts drivers at the succeeding leg that there will not be a conflict, and they may proceed without stopping.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2021, 04:35:54 PM

That implies traffic beyond the roundabout isn't relevant, which is simply false. Traffic entering from your left, even if they're not yet in the roundabout, are mere moments from potentially conflicting with your path of travel. This is especially true at small, single-lane roundabouts.

I'm not sure why it matters. Of course they're entering the roundabout; what else could they possibly be doing? You have to assume they are going to conflict with your path unless they signal right to take the first exit - but again, that's signaling to exit, not to enter.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: webny99 on May 18, 2021, 05:20:11 PM
I'm not sure why it matters. Of course they're entering the roundabout; what else could they possibly be doing? You have to assume they are going to conflict with your path unless they signal right to take the first exit - but again, that's signaling to exit, not to enter.

I quit using the NC-751 shortcut from I-85 through Duke Forest in the afternoons because most of the opposing traffic makes a left turn at the traffic circle and nobody uses their turn signals.  The entry to the traffic is tight, so you usually can't time yourself to jump in the traffic circle between cars when somebody does go straight through opposing.  I could deal with folks making thei left turn not using turn signals, if everyone making the through move used their turn signal before exiting.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on May 18, 2021, 05:20:11 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2021, 04:35:54 PM

Kphoger said signaling "at entry", not signaling "to enter". I'm not even sure what the second would be, but you're supposed to signal, at entry, where you intend to exit (right, straight [no blinker], or left) before-hand to inform drivers at other entry legs of your intent. In particular, signaling right at entry (aka, indicating your intent to immediately exit right) indicates to drivers at the immediate next leg that they will not need to worry about you, and that they may enter into the roundabout.

SkyPesos

I just signal to exit, as it helps entering drivers whether if they can enter safely. Though I have seen a ton of drivers that don't signal when exiting.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2021, 05:08:36 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2021, 04:59:10 PM

It's really about whether you're turning right or not. If you're turning left or going straight, using the appropriate signals (or lack thereof) alerts drivers at the succeeding leg that you are about to conflict with them. If you're turning right, a right signal alerts drivers at the succeeding leg that there will not be a conflict, and they may proceed without stopping.

However, not using a blinker at all for going straight through doesn't really tell anyone anything.  You might be going straight, or you might be turning right without using your signal.

I think, if you want your signal to actually matter to traffic on your right, then you should use your left blinker for every movement except a right turn.  However, I've never seen that suggested as the proper etiquette.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.