News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Changing Control Cities

Started by OCGuy81, October 05, 2011, 10:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I think that leaving "Baltimore" on the signs is like erecting a tomb of a different sort.  Its a way for those of us who remain to remember the death of the Interstate highway system and, with it, America herself.  Removing "Baltimore" from those signs is like admitting that everything is fine the way it is.  It would be re-writing history.  It would be pretending that the highway never intended to reach Baltimore in the first place.  And I, for one, am not OK with that.

#keepbaltimore  #neverforget
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2021, 03:47:52 PM
I think that leaving "Baltimore" on the signs is like erecting a tomb of a different sort.  Its a way for those of us who remain to remember the death of the Interstate highway system and, with it, America herself.  Removing "Baltimore" from those signs is like admitting that everything is fine the way it is.  It would be re-writing history.  It would be pretending that the highway never intended to reach Baltimore in the first place.  And I, for one, am not OK with that.

That is the beauty of using Baltimore Beltway, it solves for both.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kphoger

No.  It's not OK.  It's like saying I-70 was only ever supposed to reach the Beltway.  It ignores the suffering of all those thousands of drivers whose lives have been affected by the unacceptable failure of America to get them to their destination by way of a route with a single number.  It ignores their plight and whitewashes the ugly menace that is I-70.

#keepbaltimore  #neverforget  #i70matters
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 22, 2021, 03:49:33 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2021, 03:47:52 PM

That is the beauty of using Baltimore Beltway, it solves for both.
Travelers will be so confused when they see that.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

HighwayStar

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2021, 03:52:34 PM
No.  It's not OK.  It's like saying I-70 was only ever supposed to reach the Beltway.  It ignores the suffering of all those thousands of drivers whose lives have been affected by the unacceptable failure of America to get them to their destination by way of a route with a single number.  It ignores their plight and whitewashes the ugly menace that is I-70.

How about Baltimore (fail)?

SkyPesos

From what I've seen so far, HighwayStar definitely has the most unique and unpopular opinions on this forum, beating out FritzOwl and Kernals12. You can take this either as a good or bad thing.

hotdogPi

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 22, 2021, 03:54:04 PM

Fail existed until 2013 in Portugal.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

JayhawkCO

No.  It's not OK.  It's like saying I-70 was only ever supposed to reach the Beltway.  It ignores the suffering of all those hundreds of thousands of drivers whose lives have been affected by the unacceptable failure of America to get them to their destination by way of a route with a single number.  It ignores their plight and whitewashes the ugly menace that is I-70.

Fixed it for you.

Chris

jmacswimmer

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 22, 2021, 03:54:04 PM

Can you call up MDOT SHA and suggest this?  I'd absolutely love to hear their response.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

hbelkins

Sign it "Almost Baltimore, But Not Quite."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2021, 07:45:12 PM
"Baltimore suburbs"
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

HighwayStar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2021, 09:53:44 PM
"Baltimore suburbs"

Actually both of those are good. Or even, "Baltimore, if we ever grow a pair"

kphoger

Shorten it.

Baltimore, ABNQ
Male pronouns, please.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 23, 2021, 11:01:45 AM
Actually both of those are good. Or even, "Baltimore, if we ever grow a pair"

Done.  Baltimore is okay now!

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

SkyPesos

HighwayStar

kphoger

You don't think it's a problem that But Not Quite appears to be a separate destination, accessible via either highway?
Male pronouns, please.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 02:11:06 PM
You don't think it's a problem that But Not Quite appears to be a separate destination, accessible via either highway?

Its no more confusing than having the interstate dead end into a damn parking lot.

jmacswimmer

I take it you've never heard of But Not Quite, MD?
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 23, 2021, 02:15:15 PM

did not include google map link
Male pronouns, please.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 02:26:30 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 23, 2021, 02:15:15 PM
did not include google map link

It's a very small, yet elongated city that both I-70 & I-270 briefly pass thru before reaching Baltimore and Washington respectively, thus rendering it an acceptable control city for both routes.

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

I don't think that's an actual Google Maps boundary, there.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 23, 2021, 02:13:46 PM

Its no more confusing than having the interstate dead end into a damn parking lot.

How is that confusing? The parking lot is in Baltimore's city limits, after all.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Are people mistakenly driving into that parking lot out of confusion?
Male pronouns, please.

Mr_Northside

Not that I know (or at the moment, personally have reason to care) where the municipal boundaries for the city (or even county) of Baltimore are..... for the general motoring public, I do believe SHA put up signs explicitly saying that I-70 ends at I-695.  While that might not be technically true, the only people who might know that have no business being confused at "having the interstate dead end into a damn parking lot.".
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.