News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 05:23:13 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on June 21, 2024, 08:38:34 PMThis may be a reference marker system separate from the section markers with the mileages given...

No, the control section system in Oklahoma is just that fucked up. (This is the 2012 map, however, I didn't notice any relevant changes between it and the 2018 version that is available for download on the ODOT website.)

Something wacky is indeed going on with some of these control sections; as you can see a number of these control section numbers don't exist at all, and if they ever did, it was before 1978, as they don't exist on that control section map either. (The 1978 book has a foreword saying that "control section numbers with alphabetical suffixes are no longer in use to identify existing highways. All such numbers have been revised and have a new number assigned", so it's possible that that somehow affected these particular sections...or maybe ODOT just made the markers incorrectly.  I'm not falling down that particular rabbit hole, though, because usually when you start doing that in Oklahoma you start finding stupider and stupider reasons for things to be the way that they are, until you need to lie down for a while.

I can, however, state that the markers in county 44 (McClain County) are, as far as I am aware, entirely compliant with the maps, as the markers there are how I discovered the correlation between the numbers and the markers to begin with. And, in fact, the 1978 map book depicts one of the three-line reference markers on the cover, solidifying the association between the control section numbers and the reference markers.
Central States / Re: Proposed US 412 Upgrade
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 05:17:35 AM
Quote from: splashflash on June 21, 2024, 11:07:44 PMInterstate interchanges must be at least two miles apart.

I have no idea why the Inola government believes this, because it's not true. Plenty of counterexamples exist in Tulsa.

Perhaps ODOT is trying to cheap out and not put an interchange here, so they sold Inola this line of shit to try to avoid having to build a second interchange.
Off-Topic / Re: Facebook Shenanigans
Last post by CNGL-Leudimin - Today at 04:40:31 AM
One more reason why I refer to that social network as Fakebook. I now say it is either pink or Hollister at the Discord server, since one of the bots there will reply pukes whenever either word is used :sombrero:.
Northwest / Re: I-5 Columbia River Crossin...
Last post by jakeroot - Today at 04:36:59 AM
Quote from: Bruce on Today at 03:17:12 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 20, 2024, 07:13:45 PMI find it interesting that the OR 99E/OR 120 interchange will be reconfigured as a Single-Point-Urban-Interchange, and three roundabouts will be constructed in the vicinity of the interchange. Are SPUIs and roundabouts common in Oregon?

SPUIs aren't common in Oregon, but Vancouver across the river has plenty (5 in the city and surrounding unincorporated sprawl).

I only know of one SPUI, in Medford (I-5 at Garfield).

There was one planned for SW Wilsonville Road, but it was scrapped in favor of a diamond. Something about being able to handle more stopped traffic, I think.\

Unlike neighboring WA, and a bit more like CA, Oregon is much more into partial cloverleaf interchanges, in terms of alternate options to diamonds.
Pacific Southwest / Re: CA 99 Palm and Pine in Mad...
Last post by SeriesE - Today at 04:30:33 AM
Quote from: RZF on Today at 01:54:39 AMNow how else are we going to distinctly separate Northern from Southern California?

A sign that says END "the 99"/BEGIN "99" (reverse for the other direction)  :-D
General Highway Talk / Re: Most hated sections of roa...
Last post by mrose - Today at 03:27:15 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 18, 2023, 03:09:41 PMThe section of I-25 northbound from the Santa Fe onramp to the US6 exit. Everyone from Santa Fe wants to get to the left lanes and everyone trying to exit on US6 needs to fight against that current. Not to mention that the onramps create one permanent lane and one that ends, and I never remember which is which so I have to wait to get over.

Yep.
Northwest / Re: I-5 Columbia River Crossin...
Last post by Bruce - Today at 03:17:12 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 20, 2024, 07:13:45 PMI find it interesting that the OR 99E/OR 120 interchange will be reconfigured as a Single-Point-Urban-Interchange, and three roundabouts will be constructed in the vicinity of the interchange. Are SPUIs and roundabouts common in Oregon?

SPUIs aren't common in Oregon, but Vancouver across the river has plenty (5 in the city and surrounding unincorporated sprawl).
Central States / Re: Proposed US 412 Upgrade
Last post by splashflash - Today at 02:52:36 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on Today at 12:18:53 AM
Quote from: splashflash on June 21, 2024, 11:07:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2024, 01:20:05 AMUS-412 already bypassed Inola long ago, so Interstate upgrades are an improvement with no downside to them.
That appears notmtombe the case according the Inola town manager. https://www.muskogeephoenix.com/news/inola-administrator-says-interstate-through-town-would-shrink-budget-stunt-growth/article_22fd71f8-9c3e-55c5-9e13-a250989a9a2d.html

Interstate interchanges must be at least two miles apart. Scott Devers, Inola's town administrator, said this requirement will have a "big negative impact" on Inola because it will cut off businesses along South 4200 Road that benefit from its intersection with U.S. 412.

State Route 88 intersects U.S. 412 less than two miles away, and since that interchange would almost certainly remain, the businesses on South 4200 Road would find themselves on a dead end.

Devers said Inola will be the Oklahoma town most negatively affected by the interstate because it relies heavily on the businesses on this road.

"One of our biggest areas that we generate sales tax — which the city of Inola only lives on sales tax — is being cut off, and we're going to lose probably near 30% of our annual budget," Devers said.

Couldn't they construct a frontage road tying into SR-88?
Sounds like they may plan to do that but it would have to be cost-shared between Inola and ODOT.  Snips,from story:

"Devers and Burrows both said ODOT could minimize negative effects on Inola by adding frontage roads along the edges of the new interstate. That way, fewer roads would terminate with dead ends.

"Devers said he ultimately supports the new interstate because it will benefit the entire state, but he hopes ODOT will consider offsetting the harm it may cause his town.

"T.J. Gerlach, spokesperson for ODOT, said if enough people tell the department they want frontage roads, it would "certainly put it under consideration." Gerlach said it's likely ODOT will ask local jurisdictions to chip in for frontage roads because they would benefit most from them.
Mountain West / Re: Interstate 11
Last post by roadfro - Today at 02:30:04 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 19, 2024, 12:00:06 AM
Interstate 11 now runs along what was once Interstate 515 and up US 95 to Kyle Canyon Road.
Note that none of that is actually signed yet. We're still at least a month away from signs going up. Monitor the I-11 thread on the Pacific Southwest board for more info on developments with I-11 on the Nevada side.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 19, 2024, 11:44:03 AMNow if they could renumber the exits to correspond with Interstate 11's mileage instead of US 95's mileage, then we'd really be in business. Is there a timeline for renumbering the exits yet?
No. A resigning project is out to bid that will include a lot of overhead sign replacements.  But as discussed in the other thread, that project is (confusingly) not addressing exit numbering according to I-11 mileposts.
Pacific Southwest / Re: CA 99 Palm and Pine in Mad...
Last post by RZF - Today at 01:54:39 AM
Now how else are we going to distinctly separate Northern from Southern California?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.