News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Recent posts

Northwest / Re: I-5 Columbia River Crossin...
Last post by Bruce - Today at 03:17:12 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 20, 2024, 07:13:45 PMI find it interesting that the OR 99E/OR 120 interchange will be reconfigured as a Single-Point-Urban-Interchange, and three roundabouts will be constructed in the vicinity of the interchange. Are SPUIs and roundabouts common in Oregon?

SPUIs aren't common in Oregon, but Vancouver across the river has plenty (5 in the city and surrounding unincorporated sprawl).
Central States / Re: Proposed US 412 Upgrade
Last post by splashflash - Today at 02:52:36 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on Today at 12:18:53 AM
Quote from: splashflash on June 21, 2024, 11:07:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2024, 01:20:05 AMUS-412 already bypassed Inola long ago, so Interstate upgrades are an improvement with no downside to them.
That appears notmtombe the case according the Inola town manager. https://www.muskogeephoenix.com/news/inola-administrator-says-interstate-through-town-would-shrink-budget-stunt-growth/article_22fd71f8-9c3e-55c5-9e13-a250989a9a2d.html

Interstate interchanges must be at least two miles apart. Scott Devers, Inola's town administrator, said this requirement will have a "big negative impact" on Inola because it will cut off businesses along South 4200 Road that benefit from its intersection with U.S. 412.

State Route 88 intersects U.S. 412 less than two miles away, and since that interchange would almost certainly remain, the businesses on South 4200 Road would find themselves on a dead end.

Devers said Inola will be the Oklahoma town most negatively affected by the interstate because it relies heavily on the businesses on this road.

"One of our biggest areas that we generate sales tax — which the city of Inola only lives on sales tax — is being cut off, and we're going to lose probably near 30% of our annual budget," Devers said.

Couldn't they construct a frontage road tying into SR-88?
Sounds like they may plan to do that but it would have to be cost-shared between Inola and ODOT.  Snips,from story:

"Devers and Burrows both said ODOT could minimize negative effects on Inola by adding frontage roads along the edges of the new interstate. That way, fewer roads would terminate with dead ends.

"Devers said he ultimately supports the new interstate because it will benefit the entire state, but he hopes ODOT will consider offsetting the harm it may cause his town.

"T.J. Gerlach, spokesperson for ODOT, said if enough people tell the department they want frontage roads, it would "certainly put it under consideration." Gerlach said it's likely ODOT will ask local jurisdictions to chip in for frontage roads because they would benefit most from them.
Mountain West / Re: Interstate 11
Last post by roadfro - Today at 02:30:04 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 19, 2024, 12:00:06 AM
Interstate 11 now runs along what was once Interstate 515 and up US 95 to Kyle Canyon Road.
Note that none of that is actually signed yet. We're still at least a month away from signs going up. Monitor the I-11 thread on the Pacific Southwest board for more info on developments with I-11 on the Nevada side.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 19, 2024, 11:44:03 AMNow if they could renumber the exits to correspond with Interstate 11's mileage instead of US 95's mileage, then we'd really be in business. Is there a timeline for renumbering the exits yet?
No. A resigning project is out to bid that will include a lot of overhead sign replacements.  But as discussed in the other thread, that project is (confusingly) not addressing exit numbering according to I-11 mileposts.
Pacific Southwest / Re: CA 99 Palm and Pine in Mad...
Last post by RZF - Today at 01:54:39 AM
Now how else are we going to distinctly separate Northern from Southern California?
Pacific Southwest / Re: Nevada
Last post by roadfro - Today at 01:36:45 AM
Mod Note: Moved 5 posts from 6/20/2024 about an I-11 public meeting and ensuing discussion to the appropriate thread. —Roadfro
Central States / Re: Proposed US 412 Upgrade
Last post by sprjus4 - Today at 12:18:53 AM
Quote from: splashflash on June 21, 2024, 11:07:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2024, 01:20:05 AMUS-412 already bypassed Inola long ago, so Interstate upgrades are an improvement with no downside to them.
That appears notmtombe the case according the Inola town manager. https://www.muskogeephoenix.com/news/inola-administrator-says-interstate-through-town-would-shrink-budget-stunt-growth/article_22fd71f8-9c3e-55c5-9e13-a250989a9a2d.html

Interstate interchanges must be at least two miles apart. Scott Devers, Inola's town administrator, said this requirement will have a "big negative impact" on Inola because it will cut off businesses along South 4200 Road that benefit from its intersection with U.S. 412.

State Route 88 intersects U.S. 412 less than two miles away, and since that interchange would almost certainly remain, the businesses on South 4200 Road would find themselves on a dead end.

Devers said Inola will be the Oklahoma town most negatively affected by the interstate because it relies heavily on the businesses on this road.

"One of our biggest areas that we generate sales tax — which the city of Inola only lives on sales tax — is being cut off, and we're going to lose probably near 30% of our annual budget," Devers said.

Couldn't they construct a frontage road tying into SR-88?
Northeast / Re: New York State Thruway
Last post by NoGoodNamesAvailable - Today at 12:16:36 AM
Quote from: vdeane on June 18, 2024, 08:59:52 PM
Quote from: Jim on June 17, 2024, 10:21:54 PMI noticed yesterday that the Sloatsburg parking garage was completely demolished, and that the new Ramapo building is looking close to completion.
Ramapo and Scottsville are listed with projected completions of "Q2 2024" so they should be reopening soon.  That's unfortunate with Sloatsburg.  That service area is one of the busiest on the whole Thruway and the parking lot was already full, so why reduce the capacity in half?  I can only hope that they're just rebuilding it and that this isn't yet another example of cutting capacity at the new service areas.
The top level of the garage looked totally empty every time I went up there.
General Highway Talk / Re: Most hated sections of roa...
Last post by PColumbus73 - June 21, 2024, 11:56:44 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on June 21, 2024, 07:05:28 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on June 21, 2024, 09:17:32 AMIn Columbia, the cloverleaf ramp from I-26 E to I-20 E

In Winston-Salem, the cloverleaf from US 52 S to US 421 S

Both ramps are extremely tight and don't have enough of a merge area.

The Columbia interchange will be converted to a turbine interchange in the coming years.  Right now construction is focusing on the 26/126 exchange, but will eventually shift to the 26/20 interchange.  Entire area will see construction for at least the next 10 years.

And the I-74 northeast portion of the W-S Beltway is meant to bypass both of the bad cloverleaf transitions from US 52 south to US 421 south and I-40 east.  Not sure if they'll ever truly fix those interchanges anytime soon, but at least I-74 is providing relief.

I am curious if US 52 will be closed and reconstructed the same way US 421 was. I can't remember if there were any plans for this.
Off-Topic / Re: Facebook Shenanigans
Last post by J N Winkler - June 21, 2024, 11:41:58 PM
It's been quite a while since I got the last friend request from an account with a glamour photo, since I typically report and block them.  I also use FB Purity and try to restrict my Facebook usage to desktop Firefox to keep my experience filtered and clean.  Unfortunately, just in the past few days hundreds of "Sponsored" posts have been making their way through.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by vdeane - June 21, 2024, 11:18:29 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on June 21, 2024, 01:38:12 PMAgain, some posters are missing the point of I-11. It's not on politicians' minds because it can somehow connect Reno and Las Vegas with an interstate. It's on their minds because they want trucks to be connected Mexico to Canada.
As I mentioned earlier (before it got buried behind an argument about flights), the Mexico-Canada corridor only follows I-11 south of Las Vegas; north of there, it follows I-15.  Unless there's been a change, I-11 between Reno and Las Vegas has nothing to do with that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.