News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ne11931

This may deserve it's own thread but I'll post here.  What's with the I-93 Wilmington 4 to 3 "lane drop?". If I remember correctly breakdown (or shoulder) use during rush hour 6-9AM and 3-6PM was presented by the Commonwealth as a temporary solution about 25 years ago to the FHWA. I thought they said it was okay but only as a temp. solution.  So now this bottleneck creates problems well beyond the times allowed, it really provides no relief because traffic is already messed up. What's really embarrassing is when you get in to NH now it's 4 lanes.

MATraveler128

Quote from: ne11931 on December 10, 2022, 07:51:51 PM
This may deserve it's own thread but I'll post here.  What's with the I-93 Wilmington 4 to 3 "lane drop?". If I remember correctly breakdown (or shoulder) use during rush hour 6-9AM and 3-6PM was presented by the Commonwealth as a temporary solution about 25 years ago to the FHWA. I thought they said it was okay but only as a temp. solution.  So now this bottleneck creates problems well beyond the times allowed, it really provides no relief because traffic is already messed up. What's really embarrassing is when you get in to NH now it's 4 lanes.

I swear that the traffic backups in Wilmington are mainly due to this lane drop. It also causes a headache for people trying to merge onto 93 northbound at Exit 38 in Andover. You constantly have people stuck behind a slow truck doing 45 while the others go 70 plus. I don't get why MassDOT can't widen this stretch of 93. I never use the shoulder to pass due to how dangerous it is.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

SectorZ

The feds offered to pay a chunk of widening to 4 lanes all the way to NH, but the state only cared about getting it done to 495, and didn't want to pay a portion for north of that point. Therefore, stalemate, and nothing gets done.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on December 10, 2022, 08:42:31 PM
This may deserve it's own thread but I'll post here.  What's with the I-93 Wilmington 4 to 3 "lane drop?". If I remember correctly breakdown (or shoulder) use during rush hour 6-10AM and 3-7PM was presented by the Commonwealth as a temporary solution about 25 years ago to the FHWA. I thought they said it was okay but only as a temp. solution.  So now this bottleneck creates problems well beyond the times allowed, it really provides no relief because traffic is already messed up. What's really embarrassing is when you get in to NH now it's 4 lanes.

The feds offered to pay a chunk of widening to 4 lanes all the way to NH, but the state only cared about getting it done to 495, and didn't want to pay a portion for north of that point. Therefore, stalemate, and nothing gets done.

The 4 lanes doesn't even get to 495, though...
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on December 10, 2022, 10:08:16 PM
This may deserve it's own thread but I'll post here.  What's with the I-93 Wilmington 4 to 3 "lane drop?". If I remember correctly breakdown (or shoulder) use during rush hour 6-10AM and 3-7PM was presented by the Commonwealth as a temporary solution about 25 years ago to the FHWA. I thought they said it was okay but only as a temp. solution.  So now this bottleneck creates problems well beyond the times allowed, it really provides no relief because traffic is already messed up. What's really embarrassing is when you get in to NH now it's 4 lanes.

"Therefore, stalemate, and nothing gets done."

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: SectorZ on December 11, 2022, 09:30:05 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 10, 2022, 10:08:16 PM

"Therefore, stalemate, and nothing gets done."

It speaks volumes about the differing approaches of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. It's hard to believe that not very long ago, I-93 was just four lanes wide in the Granite State. Now it's eight lanes, a configuration clearly needed in the Merrimack Valley. It's befuddling why it hasn't happened.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 11, 2022, 10:32:47 AM
I-93 was just four lanes wide in the Granite State. Now it's eight lanes[...]

Except where it isn't. :bigass:
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 11, 2022, 10:35:52 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 11, 2022, 10:32:47 AM
I-93 was just four lanes wide in the Granite State. Now it's eight lanes[...]

Except where it isn't. :bigass:

I should have said the section from the MA state line to Manchester.

kramie13

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on December 10, 2022, 08:15:59 PM
I swear that the traffic backups in Wilmington are mainly due to this lane drop. It also causes a headache for people trying to merge onto 93 northbound at Exit 38 in Andover. You constantly have people stuck behind a slow truck doing 45 while the others go 70 plus. I don't get why MassDOT can't widen this stretch of 93. I never use the shoulder to pass due to how dangerous it is.

There are also traffic backups at Exit 42, River Road.  My work office is off this exit and I will notice the on-ramp from I-93 north will back up and "spill" onto River Rd. causing delays *off* the highway!

I-93 could certainly benefit from being 4 lanes in each direction from Boston to Manchester NH.  You also have a "double lane drop" going south from NH Exit 1 to the MA state line.

MATraveler128

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I drove down I-95 south into Rhode Island today and noticed that at Exit 1 just before the state line, they had put up a sign for the first Rhode Island exit which still reads Exit 30 even though I-95 through Rhode Island has converted.

southshore720

https://www.wcvb.com/amp/article/highway-sign-falls-hits-suv-on-i-93-in-somerville/42268260

From earlier today.  A BGS on the upper deck of I-93 North crashed down on a vehicle.  I wonder if this was the same problematic BGS that had the missing State shields for MA 28 and 38.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: southshore720 on December 16, 2022, 11:31:09 PM
https://www.wcvb.com/amp/article/highway-sign-falls-hits-suv-on-i-93-in-somerville/42268260

From earlier today.  A BGS on the upper deck of I-93 North crashed down on a vehicle.  I wonder if this was the same problematic BGS that had the missing State shields for MA 28 and 38.

The upper/lower decks of I-93 are now about 50 years old. I wonder if the sign structures are also that old or if they need replacement. .

amroad17

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 17, 2022, 05:57:43 AM

The upper/lower decks of I-93 are now about 50 years old. I wonder if the sign structures are also that old or if they need replacement. .
https://goo.gl/maps/saUx87udVcpBrEBJ8
If you look at the right side of the sign, just above the "e" in Somerville, this area appears to show signs of separating.  This is where the sign split.  Everything above Somerville fell on the front of the woman's SUV.  All it took for it to fall was the wind there yesterday.

Have a look at this view: https://goo.gl/maps/ppDfGJZ9a6CXktpKA  The top part of the sign appears to be leaning forward a bit, along with a noticeable crease in the green area.  Maybe this is why the MA 28 and MA 38 shields fell off the sign.

Looking at GSV in 2012, the sign appears to be fine with the shields and the white outline intact.  BY 2018, the shields were gone and the outline strip on the right side of the sign above Somerville was gone also.  Possible trouble brewing?

You would think that MassDOT would have noticed this when they were changing the exit number on the sign.  :hmmm:  :-/
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

DJStephens

Remember that lane "drop" in the mid eighties, when traveling up to a job in the Lawrence MA area.  Am guessing that I-93 had been built, in the late fifties, in that configuration, the four lane NB cross section, with the drop, in it's original construction.    It's something that should have been addressed, in the seventies, likely during the Edward King administration.  Am of belief had he (King) been the governor, for the entire time the other guy was (the Greek one) the state would have had a far better, and more complete system today.   

southshore720

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on December 15, 2022, 02:27:06 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I drove down I-95 south into Rhode Island today and noticed that at Exit 1 just before the state line, they had put up a sign for the first Rhode Island exit which still reads Exit 30 even though I-95 through Rhode Island has converted.
If it's the sign bridge I'm thinking of, that was a late install.  They fabricated the MA signage prior to the RI Exit Number changes, so all the RI advance signage (Exits 43-42) require overlays on the exit tabs.

southshore720

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 17, 2022, 05:57:43 AM

I've always wondered why they kept those wide New Jersey-style gantries on the Upper Deck instead of replacing them.  Are they a permanent part of that bridge structure that cannot be removed?

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: DJStephens on December 17, 2022, 11:07:42 AM

Remember that lane "drop" in the mid eighties, when traveling up to a job in the Lawrence MA area.  Am guessing that I-93 had been built, in the late fifties, in that configuration, the four lane NB cross section, with the drop, in it's original construction.    It's something that should have been addressed, in the seventies, likely during the Edward King administration.  Am of belief had he (King) been the governor, for the entire time the other guy was (the Greek one) the state would have had a far better, and more complete system today.

IIRC, in the past, the state tried to alleviate traffic congestion without widening on a few six lane highways (some sections of I-93 and I-95/128) by allowing the use of the breakdown lanes, at least during rush hour. I-95 south of MA-9 used to allow it until the widening project was completed a couple of years ago. Perhaps the use of the breakdown lanes took some pressure off of the need for widening, but that isn't the case anymore.

ProfBrad

When I-290 was renumbered they also had the I-395 milemarkers posted as well. Those seem to have disappeared in the past year. Any news on this?

MATraveler128

Quote from: ProfBrad on January 05, 2023, 03:00:17 PM
When I-290 was renumbered they also had the I-395 milemarkers posted as well. Those seem to have disappeared in the past year. Any news on this?

MassDOT removed them in recent months due to motorist confusion. I didn't see the point of having dual mile markers to begin with as it's not like MassDOT is ever going to extend I-395 over I-290.

shadyjay

Drove I-84 West yesterday and looks like work has started on its resigning project.  There are new ground mounts for the parking area (which is still referred to as a picnic area) and some new sheet aluminums and new reassurance shields, similar to those on I-95-South (single posted). 

bob7374

MassDOT has advertised the sign replacement project for MA 25 (as of Jan. 28). The work is to start in the spring. You would hope this would not take too long to complete. Also, according to MassDOT's ProjectInfo site, work has also started on the I-190 sign replacement project which is all of 3% complete.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: bob7374 on January 28, 2023, 11:56:32 AM
MassDOT has advertised the sign replacement project for MA 25 (as of Jan. 28). The work is to start in the spring. You would hope this would not take too long to complete. Also, according to MassDOT's ProjectInfo site, work has also started on the I-190 sign replacement project which is all of 3% complete.
MA 25 needs new signs already? Geez, I thought the ones from the '06 replacement were still in good shape.

shadyjay

MA 25 is going on its 3rd sign replacement in < 20 years IIRC. 

I know I-91 in Mass has had 2 sign replacement projects since the 1990s, while those in Enfield and East Windsor, CT were put up in the late 1980s and still hanging on... most still on their original support structures.  And some on I-84 in CT went up in the early/mid 80s. 

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on January 30, 2023, 05:08:55 PM
MA 25 is going on its 3rd sign replacement in < 20 years IIRC. 

I know I-91 in Mass has had 2 sign replacement projects since the 1990s, while those in Enfield and East Windsor, CT were put up in the late 1980s and still hanging on... most still on their original support structures.  And some on I-84 in CT went up in the early/mid 80s.
I-84 was done in the middle of the last decade.
There's a few 90s signs on I-91, one of which is a distance BGS in Longmeadow.

Mergingtraffic

What are the signs' designed lifespan? 3x in 20 years is a lot.
Why are they replacing them so much?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.