AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gilcrease Turnpike extension plans approved by Oklahoma Transportation Commissio  (Read 23459 times)

BigOkie

• Last Login: December 31, 2022, 06:15:33 PM

A friend of mine has a channel on YT he calls 'Random Ride-alongs'.  He lives in Mannford but commutes to and from Tulsa for work 3 days a week  (works 2 days remote).  He did one last week for the Turnpike.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 03:39:25 PM

I guess they don't have a date set on when they're going to start building the second phase of the Gilcrease Turnpike. The Access Oklahoma web site has a "TBD" thing marked on the map. Expensive project too, but I guess a big part of the cost is the 4-level directional stack interchange OTA has proposed with LL Tisdale Parkway.

rte66man

• Last Login: January 30, 2023, 12:17:26 PM

I guess they don't have a date set on when they're going to start building the second phase of the Gilcrease Turnpike. The Access Oklahoma web site has a "TBD" thing marked on the map. Expensive project too, but I guess a big part of the cost is the 4-level directional stack interchange OTA has proposed with LL Tisdale Parkway.

I don't believe that will go forward until the lawsuit is resolved. IIRC it affected all "new" construction. Improvements (adding capacity, exits, etc.) aren't affected.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

plain

• Last Login: Today at 08:08:52 PM

A friend of mine has a channel on YT he calls 'Random Ride-alongs'.  He lives in Mannford but commutes to and from Tulsa for work 3 days a week  (works 2 days remote).  He did one last week for the Turnpike.

Thanks for posting this vid. This also answers my question about the toll gantries (which I see are just typical, I was wondering if they kinda match the style or at least the color of the lighting).

Wow, didn't know they were proposing a stack. It doesn't look like a lot is going on in that part of the city. Would just something like a 3-level diamond do for now?
Newark born, Richmond bred

Bobby5280

Quote from: rte66man
I don't believe that will go forward until the lawsuit is resolved. IIRC it affected all "new" construction. Improvements (adding capacity, exits, etc.) aren't affected.

I don't know the details of that lawsuit. I assume it just affects the NW corner where about 2 miles of completely new highway would need to be built. There isn't many residential properties in that area; the few that are in the area don't look high income at all. It looks enough ROW is available to expand the existing 2-lane segments to 4-lane limited access.

Quote from: plain
Wow, didn't know they were proposing a stack. It doesn't look like a lot is going on in that part of the city. Would just something like a 3-level diamond do for now?

Currently the Gilcrease/LL Tisdale intersection is controlled by a traffic signal. But LL Tisdale Parkway immediately turns into a freeway South of the intersection. If/when the Gilcrease Turnpike is built thru that intersection it would need to be a free-flowing system interchange between 2 super highways. At the very least a "Y" interchange would be needed. A full stack might not be needed there for now. But if LL Tisdale Parkway is extended farther North (such as up to the town of Sperry) then a full stack would be appropriate.

One thing I do not like: the traffic signals at the current North end of the Gilcrease Turnpike at US-412. Hopefully that's just an interim solution. Given the layout of that area (the river, nearby homes, etc) a 4-level directional stack is the only kind of interchange that will work in that footprint. A cloverleaf would actually eat more real estate.

swake

• Last Login: Today at 09:36:06 PM

Quote from: rte66man

I don't know the details of that lawsuit. I assume it just affects the NW corner where about 2 miles of completely new highway would need to be built. There isn't many residential properties in that area; the few that are in the area don't look high income at all. It looks enough ROW is available to expand the existing 2-lane segments to 4-lane limited access.

Quote from: plain

Currently the Gilcrease/LL Tisdale intersection is controlled by a traffic signal. But LL Tisdale Parkway immediately turns into a freeway South of the intersection. If/when the Gilcrease Turnpike is built thru that intersection it would need to be a free-flowing system interchange between 2 super highways. At the very least a "Y" interchange would be needed. A full stack might not be needed there for now. But if LL Tisdale Parkway is extended farther North (such as up to the town of Sperry) then a full stack would be appropriate.

One thing I do not like: the traffic signals at the current North end of the Gilcrease Turnpike at US-412. Hopefully that's just an interim solution. Given the layout of that area (the river, nearby homes, etc) a 4-level directional stack is the only kind of interchange that will work in that footprint. A cloverleaf would actually eat more real estate.

The Access Oklahoma website says that both interchanges at US-412 and at The Tisdale will be built as part of the project.

As for the lawsuit, I can't find anything that says any projects but the south OKC/Norman turnpikes are being contested. The argument being that they are not specifically called out in state law. No one is fighting the Tisdale.

bugo

• Last Login: Today at 03:27:40 PM
    • No Frills Blog

The Tisdale Parkway uses similar signs.

bugo

• No Frills Blog

Gilcrease/Tisdale interchange. Click on image for larger view.

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: December 14, 2022, 06:20:07 PM

That should be the standard on all freeway to freeway interchanges. Iím glad to see actual progressive thinking for once instead of some dumb cloverleaf or diamond proposal.

swake

The Tisdale Parkway uses similar signs.

Named for the the Rev. Louis Levi Tisdale, the great Wayman Tisdale's father.

Bobby5280

Quote from: swake
The Access Oklahoma website says that both interchanges at US-412 and at The Tisdale will be built as part of the project.

The funny thing is the Access Oklahoma web site doesn't have the US-412/Gilcrease Turnpike interchange shown on the map as a future project. The preliminary estimate for the 2nd phase of the Gilcrease Turnpike is $495 million. Just one full stack interchange costs at least $250 million and up. That cost estimate includes the stack at the LL Tisdale Parkway interchange and the rest of the turnpike's main lanes and other exits.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda
That should be the standard on all freeway to freeway interchanges. Iím glad to see actual progressive thinking for once instead of some dumb cloverleaf or diamond proposal.

Cloverleaf interchanges are far less expensive to build than directional stacks. If highway funding was far more plentiful (and the costs of materials and construction not so freakishly high) then we would see a lot more directional stacks. Here in the United States we seem to splurge more on building stacks rather than cloverleafs. Directional stacks are pretty rare in most other countries.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: January 16, 2023, 01:26:10 PM

I'd settle for more C/D lanes at cloverleaf interchanges.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bobby5280

Yeah, even a cloverleaf interchange with separate C/D lanes is still going to be a lot less expensive to build than a directional stack. The C/D lanes will at least separate the potential traffic weaving conflicts away from the main lanes of the two freeways.

Aside from a directional stack being safer and more efficient at moving traffic, perhaps the biggest advantage is a smaller real estate footprint. They're easier to squeeze into a space already surrounded by commercial and/or residential development.

bugo

• No Frills Blog

I took this picture on March 18, 2009. It was taken on the city-maintained section of the Gilcrease between the LL and US 75.

As of now, part of the Gilcrease is maintained by ODOT, part by the OTA, and part by the City of Tulsa. I have often wondered if ODOT will eventually reroute OK 11 to follow the Gilcrease all the way to Peoria instead of hopping on and almost immediately off of US 75 and exiting on 36th Street N. It would make sense. I also wonder if OK 344 will end at the Tisdale/Gilcrease interchange, when the Tisdale isn't even a state highway.

swake

I took this picture on March 18, 2009. It was taken on the city-maintained section of the Gilcrease between the LL and US 75.

As of now, part of the Gilcrease is maintained by ODOT, part by the OTA, and part by the City of Tulsa. I have often wondered if ODOT will eventually reroute OK 11 to follow the Gilcrease all the way to Peoria instead of hopping on and almost immediately off of US 75 and exiting on 36th Street N. It would make sense. I also wonder if OK 344 will end at the Tisdale/Gilcrease interchange, when the Tisdale isn't even a state highway.

My guess is that the Tisdale is going to become OK-11 and the entire Gilcrease will be OK-344.

I base that on the this highway project scheduled in ODOT's 8 year plan in 2027:

SH-11: OVER EDISON ROAD EAST & WESTBOUND, JCT. I-244/SH-11 (NW CORNER IDL)
15:BRIDGE REHABILITATION
$2,000,000

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-and-projects/8-year-construction-work-plan.html

Those bridges are the start of the Tisdale from the Inner Dispersal Loop.

bugo

• No Frills Blog

My guess is that the Tisdale is going to become OK-11 and the entire Gilcrease will be OK-344.
I base that on the this highway project scheduled in ODOT's 8 year plan in 2027:
SH-11: OVER EDISON ROAD EAST & WESTBOUND, JCT. I-244/SH-11 (NW CORNER IDL)
15:BRIDGE REHABILITATION
$2,000,000
https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-and-projects/8-year-construction-work-plan.html
Those bridges are the start of the Tisdale from the Inner Dispersal Loop.

Nice find. If they were to reroute OK 11 along the Tisdale, they would have to route it down Peoria to either 36th Street N or the Gilcrease, and west to the Tisdale. The older parts of the Tisdale (the southern part, as it was built one segment at a time north from the IDL) are in terrible condition, and would have to be rebuilt if the LL were to become a state highway.

debaterthatchases

• Last Login: December 21, 2022, 05:45:37 PM

Iirc the southern end of the Tisdale is already maintained by ODOT (The City of Tulsa Maintenance Begins signs are about 1/4 north of the IDL), although it is in very poor condition with the original button copy signs still being there.
Miles F.

swake

Iirc the southern end of the Tisdale is already maintained by ODOT (The City of Tulsa Maintenance Begins signs are about 1/4 north of the IDL), although it is in very poor condition with the original button copy signs still being there.

So the part of the highway with the worst maintenance is actually the responsibility of the state.

That checks.

CoreySamson

• ORU Class of '26

• Last Login: Today at 06:07:36 PM

OK 344 signage is up on I-44 EB approaching the I-44/I-244 interchange as of yesterday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.