News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

MoDOT's Lettered Highways

Started by US71, November 14, 2019, 10:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: skluth on December 29, 2019, 01:54:23 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 15, 2019, 03:44:06 AM
Another article I've read states that R is reserved for recreational routes. So theoretically RB, RC, etc. could exist, but most counties don't have a need for more than one R road, so RA is the one you see the most.

Routes with two different letters are rarer than you might think.

Wisconsin didn't use L and R for years because drivers might confuse it for left and right direction indicators. The CTH R between Green Bay and Manitowoc used to be US 141 and is a relatively recent change to the system. It was mentioned above that MO didn't L either because it could be confused with a number, but I wouldn't be surprised if L and R weren't used because one idiot somewhere might get confused.
Even L isn't used much in Wisconsin at least not by it's self. There are a few routes where it's paired with another letter like LO in Waukesha County in honor of Lloyd Owens and DL which stand for Devil's Lake.

Gnutella

Are there any controlled-access highways with letters? That'd be neat. :spin:

Scott5114

Quote from: Gnutella on March 12, 2020, 03:46:07 AM

It's not a full freeway, but Route M in Jefferson County is divided and has some interchanges.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2020, 05:39:21 AM

It's not a full freeway, but Route M in Jefferson County is divided and has some interchanges.

Route O in Pulaski County, Missouri is divided, but only one full interchange I think.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Revive 755

Quote from: US71 on March 12, 2020, 09:03:02 AM
Route O in Pulaski County, Missouri is divided, but only one full interchange I think.

Pulaski County?  Only interchanges I can think of in that county are on I-44.

Route D/Page Avenue in St. Louis County has a short one interchange freeway section from I-270 to Schuetz Road.  IIRC MoDOT has hinted at an unfunded desire to upgrade it to a freeway to US 67.

bugo

Route W (Bannister Road) in Jackson County is a really ghetto freeway for a short distance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.