News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Former US 10 in Wallace

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 12, 2022, 05:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I was looking through some old photos and noticed I captured parts of former US 10 in Wallace, Idaho.  The alignment of US 10 in Wallace followed River Street, 4th Street and Bank Street which no longer can be fully followed due to the construction of Wallace Jr./Sr. High School.  I don't know too much about the surface couplet of Interstate 90 Wallace but it does appear to have come after US 10 was decommissioned in Idaho circa 1977.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/02/former-us-route-10-in-wallace-idaho.html

davewiecking

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 12, 2022, 05:19:47 PM
I was looking through some old photos and noticed I captured parts of former US 10 in Wallace, Idaho.  The alignment of US 10 in Wallace followed River Street, 4th Street and Bank Street which no longer can be fully followed due to the construction of Wallace Jr./Sr. High School.  I don't know too much about the surface couplet of Interstate 90 Wallace but it does appear to have come after US 10 was decommissioned in Idaho circa 1977.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/02/former-us-route-10-in-wallace-idaho.html

And now I need to rewatch Dante's Peak...

stevashe

I think this should actually be in the Pacific Northwest board, since Idaho is included there.

Nice blog though, I've passed through Wallace a few times but I wasn't aware that the actual routing of US 10 was along River Street and not the current Business 90 route, I'll have to check out what's left of the true routing next time I'm there!

I did get a picture of what I presume was that "Last stoplight on I-90" last time I was there, so I might as well contribute that while I'm here. (Max, I don't know if you usually add others' pictures to your blogs, but you're free to add this one if you'd like.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: stevashe on February 14, 2022, 02:52:11 PM
I think this should actually be in the Pacific Northwest board, since Idaho is included there.

Nice blog though, I've passed through Wallace a few times but I wasn't aware that the actual routing of US 10 was along River Street and not the current Business 90 route, I'll have to check out what's left of the true routing next time I'm there!

I did get a picture of what I presume was that "Last stoplight on I-90" last time I was there, so I might as well contribute that while I'm here. (Max, I don't know if you usually add others' pictures to your blogs, but you're free to add this one if you'd like.)

I would be happy to add it in.  One question I couldn't solve was when the school bisecting River Street was built.  I know it was fairly recent but the school board site didn't have the opening year listed.  If I get some time this week I might do blogs for US 10 in Kellogg and Mullan.

Also, if someone in the Mod Staff wants to move this over to Pacific Northwest please do so.

The Ghostbuster

It's amazing that it took until 1991 to complete Interstate 90 in Idaho. Originally, the Interstate System was supposed to be completed by 1970 but lasted until 1992 (the final segment of Interstate 70 through Glenwood Canyon, between Exit 119 and Exit 133 in Colorado, excluding the 2018 completion Interstate 95/Pennsylvania Turnpike connector).

Bruce

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2022, 02:57:38 PM
I would be happy to add it in.  One question I couldn't solve was when the school bisecting River Street was built.  I know it was fairly recent but the school board site didn't have the opening year listed.  If I get some time this week I might do blogs for US 10 in Kellogg and Mullan.

Also, if someone in the Mod Staff wants to move this over to Pacific Northwest please do so.

Looking at HistoricAerials, it seems to have been built sometime between 1998 and 2004. Couldn't find any newspaper results to narrow down the date further.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 14, 2022, 03:48:58 PM
It's amazing that it took until 1991 to complete Interstate 90 in Idaho. Originally, the Interstate System was supposed to be completed by 1970 but lasted until 1992 (the final segment of Interstate 70 through Glenwood Canyon, between Exit 119 and Exit 133 in Colorado, excluding the 2018 completion Interstate 95/Pennsylvania Turnpike connector).

Technically I-90 wasn't truly finished until the Lacey V Murrow Floating Bridge in Seattle was rebuilt and reopened in September 1993. The westbound floating bridge was able to carry both directions (with the reversible express lanes switched to eastbound-only), but a few ramps were still missing.

froggie

I-70 Glenwood Canyon actually predates the last segment of I-35 in Duluth, MN by about 2 weeks.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on February 23, 2022, 03:13:25 AM

I-70 Glenwood Canyon actually predates the last segment of I-35 in Duluth, MN by about 2 weeks.
Wasn't the last segment of I-35 an extension, though, rather than a segment of the original system?

Then, the documentary Divided Highways determined some spur in CA (I-105?) was the real last segment. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

That is correct. Until the extension was constructed, Interstate 35 ended at present-day Exit 256A (MN 194-Mesaba Avenue).

froggie

^ He's talking about system approval, not the actual construction.  35 beyond Mesaba Ave was added to the system in the late 1950s...not unlike other "core" parts of the system like I-29 in the Dakotas or parts of I-77.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on February 25, 2022, 09:02:16 AM
^ He's talking about system approval, not the actual construction.  35 beyond Mesaba Ave was added to the system in the late 1950s...not unlike other "core" parts of the system like I-29 in the Dakotas or parts of I-77.
But then that would include even newer segments that were added to the system (e.g., NC's interstates, I-22, etc.), if we're using system approval as a yardstick.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Given your background, I presume you're familiar with the concept of Chargeable versus Non-Chargeable Interstates.  Chargeable Interstates were considered to be part of the "original system" in terms of when the system was completed, and include I-35 in Duluth as well as the Howard-Cramer mileage added in 1968.  All of the newer segments you refer to are Non-Chargeable.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on February 25, 2022, 09:54:02 AM
Given your background, I presume you're familiar with the concept of Chargeable versus Non-Chargeable Interstates.  Chargeable Interstates were considered to be part of the "original system" in terms of when the system was completed, and include I-35 in Duluth as well as the Howard-Cramer mileage added in 1968.  All of the newer segments you refer to are Non-Chargeable.

Meh.  Arbitrary decisions by Congress, really.  That's why parts of I-278 aren't eligible for 90% NHP.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.