News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

IL is mostly but not completely flat, but most of its hills are unexceptional

Started by kphoger, March 31, 2022, 01:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree?

Hills do not exist in IL, and no amount of evidence can convince me otherwise.
13 (39.4%)
I know IL isn't totally flat, but I still like to get a reaction out of people.
8 (24.2%)
I know IL is flat, but I'll go to my grave before admitting it on this forum.
2 (6.1%)
IL is the new Alanland.  All hail Goat Jesus.
4 (12.1%)
I've never been to IL, but I'll weigh in on this debate anyway.
3 (9.1%)
Illinois is full of sublime towering mountains and infinitely better in every conceivable way than Wisconsin.  Anyone who questions this only does so out of an inferiority complex.
1 (3%)
Illinois is flat only because Teddy Roosevelt said it was.
0 (0%)
Illinois is flat only because of the wide angle lenses used by dashboard cameras.
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Scott5114

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 05, 2022, 04:24:15 PM
Are you there, mods? It's me, Paul. When, praytell, will this meme finally die?

Sadly, there is no "divination" tab on the admin panel.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2022, 10:06:04 PM

Sadly, there is no "divination" tab on the admin panel.

Is that included in SMF 2.1.1?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Too late to add the following poll options?

-  Illinois is flat only because Teddy Roosevelt said it was.
-  Illinois is flat only because of the wide angle lenses used by dashboard cameras.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 11, 2022, 10:15:09 AM
Too late to add the following poll options?

-  Illinois is flat only because Teddy Roosevelt said it was.
-  Illinois is flat only because of the wide angle lenses used by dashboard cameras.

Overruled.

The first one would likely prompt |NE2| to disparage TR as a racist ass clown.
The second one is a position only held by another troll and myself.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

This thread needs a bump given a certain pro flat Illinois advocate has returned to educate us.

formulanone

Quote from: formulanone on April 07, 2022, 09:46:26 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 07, 2022, 09:33:44 AM
Quote from: formulanone on April 07, 2022, 09:09:01 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2022, 10:00:58 PM

A certain Entenmann's delivery truck grudge holder keeps coming back to make sure it never does. 

How many Entenmann's Rich Frosted chocolate donuts do I need to eat to satisfy the demise of this meme?

Enough to stop the cycle of vengeance their delivery drivers tend to operate on.  Now I'm to understand Carhorn has issues with what brands the "mentally challenged."

So eight donuts, since IL 8 goes to Peoria. Donuts are acceptable in Peoria.

Gimme a week.

I ate all twelve, since they were mini donuts.

US 12's a cromulent route between several states including the one in question.

Flint1979

The only county in Illinois that I have found that is hilly to a certain degree is Jo Daviess County and that is where Charles Mound is located the highest elevation in Illinois at 1,235 feet. For state high points this is ranked 45th.

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 25, 2022, 10:49:33 PM
The only county in Illinois that I have found that is hilly to a certain degree is Jo Daviess County and that is where Charles Mound is located the highest elevation in Illinois at 1,235 feet. For state high points this is ranked 45th.

Alot more counties than that.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on April 26, 2022, 06:26:34 PM

All counties in Illinois are flat, I have seen the light finally.

FIFY

Flint1979

I've probably been to more counties in Illinois than you have. No it's not more counties than that. If you think there is another county in Illinois that is hilly besides Jo Daviess County then go ahead and name the county. It's 45th out of state high points only Rhode Island, Mississippi, Louisiana, Delaware and Florida have lower high points. Every state surrounding Illinois has a higher high point.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2022, 12:00:55 AM

FIFY
The things he argues about are crazy.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 27, 2022, 06:59:48 AM

I've probably been to more counties in Illinois than you have. No it's not more counties than that. If you think there is another county in Illinois that is hilly besides Jo Daviess County then go ahead and name the county. It's 45th out of state high points only Rhode Island, Mississippi, Louisiana, Delaware and Florida have lower high points. Every state surrounding Illinois has a higher high point.

High points don't have that much to do with flatness. Check Lowell/Lawrence/Haverhill MA. It's at about 100-120 feet above sea level at its lowest points, but it has several hills that reach slightly above 200 feet, so you'll be going up and down without ever getting near the high point of the state.

Just going to Google Maps and looking at the area in topographic map mode will tell you that eastern Massachusetts has a decent number of hills without getting to a mountainous elevation.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Crash_It

I will list them all in alphabetical order.

Counties I've been to that aren't flat:
Bond
Boone
Bureau
Carroll
Clark
Clay
Clinton
Coles
Cook
Cumberland
DeKalb
DuPage
Effingham
Fayette
Gallatin (one of the counties within the Ozark plateau)
Greene
Henry
Jackson
Jasper
Jersey
Kane
Lake
LaSalle
Lee
Logan
Macoupin
Madison
McHenry
McLean
Monroe
Montgomery
Ogle
Peoria
Pope
Putnam
Richland
Sangamon
St Clair
Stephenson
Tazewell
Woodford
Will
Winnebago

Possibly more than that but that's all I can recall as I get ready for work

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 27, 2022, 07:00:49 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2022, 12:00:55 AM

FIFY
The things he argues about are crazy.

You should see his Facebook page.  He tried to take on the entirety of the trucking world the other day despite being hugely in the wrong.  It went about as smoothly as expected, but the go down with the burning ship approach was there.  What amuses me is that he doesn't get this is obvious trolling at his expense, it's almost a sure fire bet he'll flip out at threads like this.

kphoger

Did you vote in the poll?

If you think there is another county in Illinois that is hilly besides Jo Daviess County then go ahead and name the county.

Pope County

most of Union County
Male pronouns, please.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Crash_It on April 27, 2022, 07:33:27 AM

Cook
DeKalb
DuPage
Will
Winnebago

Those are buildings, not hills.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

A question directed towards Crash, what are you getting out of all this?  Do you feel like you are somehow defending the honor of Illinois by dragging this whole definition of flatness thing on?  At this point I feel like there has to be some sort of compulsory reason for you to continue to fight almost universal feedback to your opinion on the topic of this thread (as well as other things).  I don't get it, is the constant verbal sparring something actually something you enjoy?  There has to be a reason you do the things you do. 

Crash_It

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 27, 2022, 07:16:13 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on April 27, 2022, 07:33:27 AM

Cook
DeKalb
DuPage
Will
Winnebago

Those are buildings, not hills.

Nope... I'll post Google street view examples of these counties

Cook
https://maps.app.goo.gl/163xukoZjWDsqkgi6

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yEH1dBsTPPpEb2NRA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/A9ARfiCfunv26NZT6

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cGfy8wXrvfYyEdE69

DeKalb

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bHhTFrySFXXYBmHDA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jBGCPcRdhUnyb8yA9

DuPage

https://maps.app.goo.gl/GdhiHUipfMQcTXyF9

https://maps.app.goo.gl/smpMD73JZ7gVfmrH6

Pretty much a majority of this is a hill https://maps.app.goo.gl/QNiufPiFSwxVeugn7

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gs95G4nkMwAd4YaMA

Will

https://maps.app.goo.gl/L1hZqpqwCY6jhAtLA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qhx5v7qA8zg5uwPJA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jyYhv3mTZhMmyoXD6

https://maps.app.goo.gl/1Rbpw3bmwpEFA4Gz5

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qih1ZcUfUbJKocfy6

Winnebago

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BWrJgA6Zq6sPrsKL9

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MqqvaSHDGFwzYyaE6

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yxWrmT2HXUMf4xuYA

This County is loaded

I'm sure there are more than what I've listed. That's just what I've driven.

US 89

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2022, 09:00:34 PM
A question directed towards Crash, what are you getting out of all this?  Do you feel like you are somehow defending the honor of Illinois by dragging this whole definition of flatness thing on?  At this point I feel like there has to be some sort of compulsory reason for you to continue to fight almost universal feedback to your opinion on the topic of this thread (as well as other things).  I don’t get it, is the constant verbal sparring something actually something you enjoy?  There has to be a reason you do the things you do.

Because he's a troll and everyone keeps feeding him.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on April 27, 2022, 09:18:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2022, 09:00:34 PM
A question directed towards Crash, what are you getting out of all this?  Do you feel like you are somehow defending the honor of Illinois by dragging this whole definition of flatness thing on?  At this point I feel like there has to be some sort of compulsory reason for you to continue to fight almost universal feedback to your opinion on the topic of this thread (as well as other things).  I don't get it, is the constant verbal sparring something actually something you enjoy?  There has to be a reason you do the things you do.

Because he's a troll and everyone keeps feeding him.

It's fun to get him all spun up or watch others do it.  How he doesn't see that people just do it to get a reaction is bewildering.  Granted, I think there is enough evidence to suggest the things he does on the road are intentional for views.  Either way it doesn't seem to be a formula for success given his low viewership and largely negative reactions on shared material. 

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on April 27, 2022, 09:15:20 PM

I used to live near this hill in Wheaton;  after a good snowfall, it was common to see a dozen kids sledding down it.  And I frequently found myself cycling up or down this hillBut the existence of those hills does not mean DuPage County isn't flat.  It is.  It just also has a few hills scattered around.

And again I ask you:

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2022, 09:56:03 AM
Did you vote in the poll?
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2022, 09:18:36 AM
Quote from: Crash_It on April 27, 2022, 09:15:20 PM

I used to live near this hill in Wheaton;  after a good snowfall, it was common to see a dozen kids sledding down it.  And I frequently found myself cycling up or down this hillBut the existence of those hills does not mean DuPage County isn't flat.  It is.  It just also has a few hills scattered around.

So do you think eastern Massachusetts is flat or not, since it's just a whole bunch of hills and gradual elevation changes? I would definitely say no.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.