News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Additional Bikeways for Bridges

Started by D-Dey65, July 29, 2022, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

On a couple of posts, I recommended that the two main bridges that carry the northern section of Florida SR 115 should either be widened to accommodate separate bike lanes protected by dividers, or flanked with new bridges alongside them meant just for bikes and pedestrians, 

This has made me think of one other bridge that could probably use bikeway extensions: The US 17 Bridge over the St. Mary's River between Florida and Georgia.

The question is, how should it be done? Should it be added to the existing structure on the other side of the concrete railing along the bridge, or should it be two different bikeways flanked along the sides?

andarcondadont

I propose one of two extremes: :sombrero:
- Convert the existing bridge such that there is a single lane for vehicular traffic, and the other half of the bridge is dedicated for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Convert the existing bridge into a one exclusively for pedestrians and bicyclists, and construct a new vehicular bridge alongside the existing one.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.