News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Traffic Pattern Ahead

Started by frankenroad, August 16, 2022, 03:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankenroad

I searched and did not see this topic addressed.

When an intersection is re-configured, often a sign saying "New Traffic Pattern Ahead" is posted.   I pass one every day where the "new" traffic pattern is over a year old.  Then, a couple days ago, I was on a different road and encountered the same sign.  In that case the "new" traffic pattern is at least 5 years old, if not more.

How long should they stay up?  My thought is that 3-6 months should be plenty of time for people who frequent the road to become familiar (I will admit that in the first case above, I ran the newly-installed stop sign about 2 months after it had been installed, just from muscle memory).  I think the target audience of those signs are the people who use the road frequently, and may get caught off guard by a change.  Someone who only uses a road occasionally is going to be more attuned to the traffic patterns, and not relying on ingrained habits.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kalvado

Since those signs are likely to be there after construction is complete, they are likely to be installed by construction contractor and should be removed by... by.... ok, looks like there are no volunteers.
Sort of same question was asked about "deaf child" and similar signs. Kids grow up and/or move away, but signs stay.
I've seen abandoned "temporary" stop signs, and "road work" signs left behind years after the contract is closed.

kirbykart

^There's an orange road work sign saying "BUMP" 10 mins from where I live that's been up for almost 5 years now. Like, either remove it or put a yellow sign in its place.

ran4sh

Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

roadfro

Quote from: ran4sh on August 16, 2022, 04:14:44 PM
The MUTCD says 6 months, or earlier if traffic "returns to normal"

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part2/part2c.htm#section2C52

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part2/part2c.htm#section2C62

Ah, but the removal of the "New Traffic Pattern Ahead" sign after 6 months is a guidance statement, not a standard, so doesn't technically have to be followed... But that said, guidance statements should generally be followed unless there is a compelling reason not to--and I can't see a compelling reason to leave this sign in place for a year or more. So most likely, the road agency from the OP and other examples must've forgotten these signs were there.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PHLBOS

While not a NEW TRAFFIC PATTERN AHEAD sign per se; this WARNING NEW STOP SIGN TREMONT AT GROVE panel in Salem, MA has been around since 1989.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

JoePCool14

These New Traffic Pattern signs have been here on WI-32 since at least October 2018 when a signal was removed.

https://goo.gl/maps/hjSq9rUFc5yVJ7GN6

As for an appropriate length, 6 months is good. Just wish someone would actually take them down.  :-D

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

TEG24601

They misguidedly added an FYA to a highway intersection in 2019 (I say misguided because the traffic signals were added to prevent crashes at this intersection, and the FYA would have been better for the cross street), but they added an orange "Signal Revision Ahead" when they did it.  It is no over 3 years later, and the orange sign is still there.  On this highway, I think this is the longest I've seen an orange sign posted that wasn't there for ongoing "Road Work" in the 30 years I've lived here.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

andrepoiy

In Ontario they put up a "NEW" sign but they usually do get removed after a while - although I never actually took notice of how long it takes.

Example:

JoePCool14

I always liked the Ontario NEW signs. I think putting them at the point (stop sign, signal, etc.) is useful, and it's more likely that the signs will actually be removed since they are more obvious.

7/8

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 02, 2022, 08:45:58 PM
In Ontario they put up a "NEW" sign but they usually do get removed after a while - although I never actually took notice of how long it takes.

OTM Book 6 recommends 30-60 days.

epzik8

Yeah I think DOTs are just lazy. Maryland tends to leave new traffic light signs up for a while.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kalvado

Quote from: epzik8 on October 03, 2022, 02:11:48 PM
Yeah I think DOTs are just lazy. Maryland tends to leave new traffic light signs up for a while.
It's not lazy, it is about organizing workflow and efficient resource management. With most of the work contracted out, removal of sign in 6 months must be a separate administrative with extra contract being awarded. THat is  instead of setting one calendar reminder...

JoePCool14

Have there been studies done on NEW signs? How effective are they anyways? Does it depend on the new device(s) being used?

LilianaUwU

The DOTs should just let us roadgeeks take off the NEW signs after a set amount of time. :bigass:
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

NWI_Irish96

Somewhat related, I had to call one of my kids in sick today, and the automated answer at the school states, "Please listen carefully as some of our menu options have recently changed" but it's the same message and the same menu options when we moved to this district 5 years ago.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 03, 2022, 10:25:23 PM
Somewhat related, I had to call one of my kids in sick today, and the automated answer at the school states, "Please listen carefully as some of our menu options have recently changed" but it's the same message and the same menu options when we moved to this district 5 years ago.

Some messages even say "as some of our menu options may have changed".  Like they don't even know.   :rolleyes:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

There is also the inevitable "new traffic pattern ahead" when there's a lane shift in a roadwork zone.  That's not a new traffic pattern.  A new pattern is a roundabout, or a DDI, or an exit temporarily relocated from one side of the carriageway to the other.

GaryV

They just want you to listen to the entire message instead of hitting a number that might be correct for what you want. And then the caller gets mad at the doctor's office because they get referral appointments instead of appointments, because they didn't listen.

hotdogPi

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 04, 2022, 09:20:29 AM
There is also the inevitable "new traffic pattern ahead" when there's a lane shift in a roadwork zone.  That's not a new traffic pattern.  A new pattern is a roundabout, or a DDI, or an exit temporarily relocated from one side of the carriageway to the other.

I've seen the sign for a permanent added left turn lane and green arrow. Is that not a new traffic pattern?

I know of one place (the country club on Howe St. in Methuen, MA) where the opposite happened: they changed their options and didn't change them in the automated message. Fortunately, when I typed in 6, the person there immediately told me to type 14 instead, so they must get them a lot. (That one is for the restaurant, which is open to the public). However, I think it would take a really long time to hear all the options; since the first one is 3, it probably goes into the 20s.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: GaryV on October 04, 2022, 09:22:20 AM
They just want you to listen to the entire message instead of hitting a number that might be correct for what you want. And then the caller gets mad at the doctor's office because they get referral appointments instead of appointments, because they didn't listen.

After five years, it's also because they don't want to redo the recording.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

frankenroad

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 03, 2022, 10:04:50 PM
The DOTs should just let us roadgeeks take off the NEW signs after a set amount of time. :bigass:

I like how you think!
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

CtrlAltDel

It's not the same thing, but I wish they'd be faster about changing out new traffic pattern ahead signs in road construction a bit faster than they do. It seems like a lot of the time you go from one "new" pattern to another "new" pattern with no "normal" time in between.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

GaryV

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 04, 2022, 05:38:48 PM
It's not the same thing, but I wish they'd be faster about changing out new traffic pattern ahead signs in road construction a bit faster than they do. It seems like a lot of the time you go from one "new" pattern to another "new" pattern with no "normal" time in between.

I'd be happy if they just accurately gave notice on which lane(s) would be closed ahead. Many times the right lane was closed, and then when they shift to the left lane being closed they didn't change the signs. Other times, the lane closed sign is still up, but all lanes are open.

Henry

Quote from: frankenroad on October 04, 2022, 04:17:16 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 03, 2022, 10:04:50 PM

I like how you think!
That is definitely a great idea!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.