News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What will happen when trucks get fast?

Started by kernals12, October 28, 2022, 04:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 30, 2022, 03:57:25 PM
Regenerative braking is also useful in preserving the life of friction braking elements such as brake shoes, discs and drums.  I still don't understand why diesel electric hybrid technology hasn't taken hold in the panel truck and service truck industry, because of the inherent cost savings related to the brake system.  This cost savings won't apply to tractor-trailers, as the trailer still needs its friction brake applications coordinated with the big rig's brakes on the cab unit.  But regenerative braking will still work quite well on big rig's, just like on railroad locomotives.

Quote from: kernals12 on October 31, 2022, 01:24:07 PM
That's another thing: regenerative braking could eliminate the need for runaway truck lanes... and prevent a great number of gruesome accidents.

That's only correct for large trucks that are not pulling trailers.  The big rigs still have a huge payload in the trailer that must be controlled with pneumatic-controlled friction brakes.  Just like locomotives, regenerative braking in the cab can create a strong counterforce against downhill gravity, but this only interacts with the trailer as much as the [hitch] can distribute the force.  On AAR-standard freight trains, that is a function of the drawbar strength of the couplers.  Fifth-wheel hitches transfers this braking force through a vertical king pin, and I'm not so familiar how these regenerative braking forces interact with the trailer.

vdeane

Also: regenerative braking requires that there be somewhere for that energy to go.  If the battery is full at a given moment, there isn't, so no regen.  I believe there are a few other circumstances where it can be disabled as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kernals12

https://insideevs.com/news/619269/tesla-semi-effortless-acceleration/

Here's the Tesla semi in action and it looks pretty quick. Also, Tesla says that the truck can go at highway speed limits even at a 5% grade.

Max Rockatansky

Where's that Cybertruck I've been hearing so much about?  The fact that Tesla says this and not a more substantial automaker makes me doubt the technology is really that far along.

Over/under on deliveries actually taking place in December anyone?

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on November 01, 2022, 08:44:30 PM
Also: regenerative braking requires that there be somewhere for that energy to go.  If the battery is full at a given moment, there isn't, so no regen.

Maybe they can mine Bitcoin with it. :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 01, 2022, 09:43:17 PM
Where's that Cybertruck I've been hearing so much about?  The fact that Tesla says this and not a more substantial automaker makes me doubt the technology is really that far along.

I hope you didn't actually bet any money on that
https://www.axios.com/2022/12/02/tesla-semi-trucks

This great news for Connecticut's decades old plans to widen I-84 from Waterbury to the New York State line. Large portions of it already have an extra truck climbing lane going in one direction, so all they need to do is classify them as regular travel lanes and then add a lane in the other direction.

Max Rockatansky

I was too busy wishing for global warming and tripping over sidewalks to make it to my bookie. 

I'm glad you're here though, seems you have another junior futurist peer who is presently working on grapple hook technology:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32429.msg2793478#new

MikieTimT

They will have to take better care with wrapping pallets and loading the trailer, else load shifting will increase with additional acceleration.  Trailer door latches better be verified to not be sketchy either.  I can envision loads dumping out the back of older trailers otherwise.

Dirt Roads

Tesla has now officially delivered its first Tesla Semi Electric cab to Pepsico.  The headline on one of last night's articles indicated that it was "3 years late", but I do not know whether that is a referring to a production delay or the actual delay from this procurement.  I'm curious as to whether the lifecycle costs are really going to be achieved (they certainly will achieve them if truckers can get regular access to any free charging stations).  But this will be our first look at "what happens when get fast" (ergo, accelerates rapidly when unloaded).  Who knows, maybe NASCAR can start a new series of race truck.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/tesla-delivers-first-semi-electric-truck-to-pepsi/ar-AA14OTpM

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on December 01, 2022, 11:58:55 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 01, 2022, 09:43:17 PM

I hope you didn't actually bet any money on that
https://www.axios.com/2022/12/02/tesla-semi-trucks

This great news for Connecticut's decades old plans to widen I-84 from Waterbury to the New York State line. Large portions of it already have an extra truck climbing lane going in one direction, so all they need to do is classify them as regular travel lanes and then add a lane in the other direction.
Yes.  Just "reclassify" climbing lanes.

*eyeroll*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Well MMM seems to want to develop electromagnets on helicopters and to implement graphing hooks to slow truck travel down.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

No, roadman65, you're the only one who wants to implement graphing hooks. Four times now.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

I really liked the game Bionic Commando.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Quote from: 1 on December 02, 2022, 01:50:20 PM
No, roadman65, you're the only one who wants to implement graphing hooks. Four times now.

What?

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on December 02, 2022, 02:20:50 PM

Quote from: 1 on December 02, 2022, 01:50:20 PM

What?

I'm not sure about the "four times" part, but you're the only one who has suggested graphing hooks.  See my previous post.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

I never suggested a crazy idea like that.  I was maybe friendly sarcastic, but someone else has been coming up with ideas that are far out including a way to China through the center of the Earth and other stuff.

Just like someone else responding to a roller coaster thread claiming the PA Turnpike is a rollercoaster. According to you, he would be serious about that when in fact he was poking fun at the individual who created a thread that the PA Turnpike is unworthy of being a toll road because it's too winding.

Obviously you've been away from the forum a while, but we have a user who makes Fritz Owls ideas look good, as he's been posting several times a day crazy ideas from electromagnets to having I-80 go to Providence and just recently posted other crazy ideas yesterday in one thread.

Read MultiMillionMiler in One Thread and many other threads that have been locked lately.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on December 02, 2022, 01:52:50 PM
I really liked the game Bionic Commando.

That game is the shit, one of my favorites since I was a kid.  Lobbing a rocket into "not-Hitler's"  face at the end is always incredibly satisfying. 

roadman65

Kpoger show me the post I came up with the so called idea to use graphing hooks to stop a runaway rig on I-70 or any idea so ridiculous.  If you believe that I think a graphing hook could solve a runaway truck problem, then I got oceanfront property in Great Bend, KS to sell you.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on December 02, 2022, 02:36:58 PM
Kpoger show me the post I came up with the so called idea to use graphing hooks to stop a runaway rig on I-70 or any idea so ridiculous.  If you believe that I think a graphing hook could solve a runaway truck problem, then I got oceanfront property in Great Bend, KS to sell you.

If you search this forum for the phrase "graphing hooks", the only posts that come up are from you or people responding to you.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 03:41:46 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 02, 2022, 02:36:58 PM

If you search this forum for the phrase "graphing hooks", the only posts that come up are from you or people responding to you.

I for one want to see Kernals vs MMM.  I'll promote any fictional grapple hook technology no how absurd to make this happen.

bulldog1979

WTF is a "graphing hook"? Isn't the device called a "grappling hook"?

Road Hog

We have a metric ton of nerds mathematicians here. Someone please show me an example of a graphing hook on a Cartesian plane.

Big John

Quote from: Road Hog on December 02, 2022, 08:52:22 PM
We have a metric ton of nerds mathematicians here.
When highway plans were metric in the late 1990s, that was referred to as a megagram.

kphoger

Quote from: bulldog1979 on December 02, 2022, 08:47:27 PM
WTF is a "graphing hook"?

I have no idea what it is.  I was just agreeing that |roadman65| is the one who brought them up.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.