News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sine salad

Started by hbelkins, August 29, 2012, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Don't think this was posted yet, but this article has a picture of BGS salad in Washington DC.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

1995hoo

Passed this yesterday in Flagstaff. I like the use of "Los Angeles" on signs there but wondered if it should say "other Big Cities."

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

cjk374

Quote from: jbnv on October 10, 2015, 08:07:37 PM
Big sign salad, I-10/55 split. (Three green, one blue.)

That blue all-text service sign is a rare bird.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

luokou

A Northwest sign salad for two, with Stop sign aperitif:

https://goo.gl/maps/a2aBeBnYccE2

jbnv

Looks like someone took a bite out of this petite salad.

jbnv

roadfro

Aren't we defining "sine salad" as reassurance or junction assemblies? Overhead signs don't really count...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jbnv

Quote from: roadfro on October 20, 2015, 02:32:24 AM
Aren't we defining "sine salad" as reassurance or junction assemblies? Overhead signs don't really count...

OP:

Quote from: hbelkins on August 29, 2012, 10:25:11 AM
For photos of assemblies with a whole lotta signing going on.

Nothing limiting it to reassurance or junction assemblies there.

roadfro

I guess since the OP posted roadside signs as examples in the original post, that seems to dominate the thread. Overhead signs just don't seem as impressive in this regard...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

Quote from: roadfro on October 21, 2015, 03:54:34 AM
I guess since the OP posted roadside signs as examples in the original post, that seems to dominate the thread. Overhead signs just don't seem as impressive in this regard...

Columbus begs to differ. Before the I-71/I-670 interchange was reconfigured, there were more on that assembly. Note how each lane in that last one gets its own BGS.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignGeek101

Quote from: cl94 on October 21, 2015, 09:36:42 AM

Columbus begs to differ. Before the I-71/I-670 interchange was reconfigured, there were more on that assembly. Note how each lane in that last one gets its own BGS.

That arrow on the Cincinnati sign makes no sense. It's the wrong type. The sign is directly over the lane, why use a dancing arrow (which is also against MUTCD, I believe). And the 670 is wrong too  :-/

I guess I'm nitpicking though  :-P

vtk

Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 21, 2015, 10:58:38 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 21, 2015, 09:36:42 AM

That arrow on the Cincinnati sign makes no sense.

Yeah, that's a head scratcher.  Good thing it's gone.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

peterj920

The most P's you'll ever see in a sign cluster

formulanone

How often does Wisconsin denote Old County Road(s)?

peterj920

Quote from: formulanone on November 03, 2015, 11:59:56 AM
How often does Wisconsin denote Old County Road(s)?

Sometimes the town or city will name a road after a county road if it's decommissioned and turned back to that jurisdiction.  This is in Sheboygan Falls, WI and the odd thing about the road being called "Old County Road PP" is that County PP runs along the entire length of the road so I have no idea why it's called "Old" when the County PP designation is current.

TravelingBethelite

Here's a BGS salad just north of downtown Nashville:

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

thenetwork

jbnv

I-10 westbound at I-110, Baton Rouge. Two BGSs, two cautionary signs, two speed limit signs, one trailblazer and six banners. And they forgot the exit sign for the gore point.

ekt8750

kurumi

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on November 03, 2015, 05:37:56 PM
Here's a BGS salad just north of downtown Nashville:

Interesting that Exit 90 splits into two exits ("Exit 90A-A and 90A-B"?).

I wonder how Caltrans would sign that salad. Here's a similar sign bridge from Milpitas, CA for reference (photo courtesy AARoads CA 237 page): https://www.aaroads.com/california/images237/ca-237_eb_exit_009a_03.jpg

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bassoon1986

The Nashville example reminds me of this one from Shreveport, LA. The double signs seem to be more for information overload. Not really a nice way to put it all on one overhead sign. And like the Briley Pkwy example, the exit splits once you pass the gore.

i-020_eb_exit_018a_05 by Josh Bumgardner, on Flickr

hbelkins

What I like about the Nashville example is that it features both branches of US 31, yet this is not the point where the branches converge/split.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jwolfer

Quote from: peterj920 on November 03, 2015, 01:13:14 AM

The most P's you'll ever see in a sign cluster
And PP is funny in its own right

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.