News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 02, 2024, 10:43:18 AMLooks like work on the Belvidere Road interchange on I-95 will be ramping up. Thought they broke ground well over a year ago. Barrier on the shoulder has been there for a few weeks and speed camera signage/barriers are ready to go.

Yeah, there's been that bridge sitting over the work site since then.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif


epzik8

The design aesthetic of the northbound 95 sound barrier between the LGF and 152 is pretty wild, I thought it would be covered up later in construction but I guess it's the actual design.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

epzik8

#2652
Has this sign on 40 west in east Baltimore been documented on this forum?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

MASTERNC

Unless the legislature or Governor pushes through an increase to fund outside projects (as was discussed at one point), sounds like the next toll increase may not be needed for three years per the latest MDTA meeting materials.  That's even with the MDTA losing about $140 million in toll revenue from the Key Bridge collapse.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/Files/Meeting_Schedules/Materials/Finance%20and%20Administration%20Committee%20Meeting%20Materials%20-%20June%202024.pdf

epzik8

Signage has been added for the end of the right lane on 22 east just past 462 in Aberdeen, but will it be effective is the question.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bluecountry

So what is the story with the I-95 express lanes north of Baltimore.
Will they be adding any lanes to the non express lanes?
When will it open?

Are there any plans for southbound lanes/why was NB only chosen first?

TheOneKEA

Quote from: bluecountry on June 19, 2024, 06:54:33 PMSo what is the story with the I-95 express lanes north of Baltimore.

The existing I-95/US 40 corridor carries a considerable amount of regional and long-distance traffic, with the preponderance of the traffic on I-95 between the Baltimore City line and the Susquehanna River consisting of commuter traffic from the suburban communities of northeastern Baltimore County and Harford County. US 40 is too built up for any substantial widening or grade separation beyond what has already been built, so the chosen alternative is what is happening today; namely, the widening of I-95 to add two additional tolled lanes that will allow traffic to bypass the congestion of the general-purpose lanes. These lanes are referred to as the Express Toll Lanes (ETLs).

The original plan was for the ETLs to extend from milepost 61 at Exit 62 on the Baltimore City line all the way to the vicinity of milepost 81, just north of Exit 80, northeast of Abingdon in Harford County. Both sets of ETLs would have dedicated ramps to and from the major highways that already interchange with I-95, and open-road tolling gantries would be built north and south of each interchange to allow tolls to be collected. Due to the exceedingly poor timing of the mid-2000s economy, the construction of the new carriage ways and the reconstruction of the northern I-95/I-695 interchange began in 2006 when costs were very high, and the MdTA subsequently was forced to rearrange the construction phasing so that the new ETLs stopped just north of Exit 67 and the dedicated ramps to and from I-695 were not built. The current phase of construction will extend the northbound ETLs beyond Exit 67 up to Exit 77, and a later phase will extend them further to the originally planned terminus beyond Exit 80 and construct two of the dedicated ramps from each direction of I-695 to the northbound ETLs.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 19, 2024, 06:54:33 PMWill they be adding any lanes to the non express lanes?

Beyond Exit 80, the original construction plans for the ETLs envisioned that both carriage ways of I-95 would be widened to eight lanes up to a point just beyond Exit 85, to relieve congestion on the existing six general purpose lanes north of Exit 80.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 19, 2024, 06:54:33 PMWhen will it open?

According to https://mdta.maryland.gov/I95ETLNB/home.html, the northbound ETLs will be open as far as Exit 74 by the end of this year (2024), and open as far as Exit 77 by 2027. Based on the current pace of construction I believe that the first target will be reached easily, but the second target will depend on how easily the oft-reconstructed interchange with MD 24 can be completely reconstructed again.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 19, 2024, 06:54:33 PMAre there any plans for southbound lanes/why was NB only chosen first?

There are no plans to begin construction of the southbound ETLs that I am aware of. As far as why the northbound side was chosen first, traffic going north on I-95 is substantially worse due to the lane drop at milepost 77 and the ascending gradient north of MD 24. There are also a disproportionate number of crashes and other accidents that occurred on northbound I-95 prior to the start of construction, that were not matched by an equivalent number of crashes and accidents on southbound I-95.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bluecountry

Quote from: TheOneKEA on June 19, 2024, 08:53:09 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on June 19, 2024, 06:54:33 PMSo what is the story with the I-95 express lanes north of Baltimore.

The existing I-95/US 40 corridor carries a considerable amount of regional and long-distance traffic, with the preponderance of the traffic on I-95 between the Baltimore City line and the Susquehanna River consisting of commuter traffic from the suburban communities of northeastern Baltimore County and Harford County. US 40 is too built up for any substantial widening or grade separation beyond what has already been built, so the chosen alternative is what is happening today; namely, the widening of I-95 to add two additional tolled lanes that will allow traffic to bypass the congestion of the general-purpose lanes. These lanes are referred to as the Express Toll Lanes (ETLs).

The original plan was for the ETLs to extend from milepost 61 at Exit 62 on the Baltimore City line all the way to the vicinity of milepost 81, just north of Exit 80, northeast of Abingdon in Harford County. Both sets of ETLs would have dedicated ramps to and from the major highways that already interchange with I-95, and open-road tolling gantries would be built north and south of each interchange to allow tolls to be collected. Due to the exceedingly poor timing of the mid-2000s economy, the construction of the new carriage ways and the reconstruction of the northern I-95/I-695 interchange began in 2006 when costs were very high, and the MdTA subsequently was forced to rearrange the construction phasing so that the new ETLs stopped just north of Exit 67 and the dedicated ramps to and from I-695 were not built. The current phase of construction will extend the northbound ETLs beyond Exit 67 up to Exit 77, and a later phase will extend them further to the originally planned terminus beyond Exit 80 and construct two of the dedicated ramps from each direction of I-695 to the northbound ETLs.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 19, 2024, 06:54:33 PMWill they be adding any lanes to the non express lanes?

Beyond Exit 80, the original construction plans for the ETLs envisioned that both carriage ways of I-95 would be widened to eight lanes up to a point just beyond Exit 85, to relieve congestion on the existing six general purpose lanes north of Exit 80.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 19, 2024, 06:54:33 PMWhen will it open?

According to https://mdta.maryland.gov/I95ETLNB/home.html, the northbound ETLs will be open as far as Exit 74 by the end of this year (2024), and open as far as Exit 77 by 2027. Based on the current pace of construction I believe that the first target will be reached easily, but the second target will depend on how easily the oft-reconstructed interchange with MD 24 can be completely reconstructed again.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 19, 2024, 06:54:33 PMAre there any plans for southbound lanes/why was NB only chosen first?

There are no plans to begin construction of the southbound ETLs that I am aware of. As far as why the northbound side was chosen first, traffic going north on I-95 is substantially worse due to the lane drop at milepost 77 and the ascending gradient north of MD 24. There are also a disproportionate number of crashes and other accidents that occurred on northbound I-95 prior to the start of construction, that were not matched by an equivalent number of crashes and accidents on southbound I-95.


Thanks, so
- Originally it would have been 2+2 to MM 81, but due to $$ it is now to exit 74 then 77 then 80 starting with late 2024?
- Originally it would have been NB and SB but now it is just NB with no plans for SB (wow) because NB had it worse with the lane drop-off at exit 77?
- Originally It would have been 4-2-2-4 to MM 81, now it will be 4-2-4 to exit 77 then 3-2-3 77 to exit 80?

Can't believe MD has no plan for SB ext.
Frankly I think it should be 4-2-2-4 to 80 then 4-4 across the new Tydings bridge.

What I find dumb is how MD unlike VA refuses to make it a P3, where HOV would be lower the toll and the P3 funds could expedite this project.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PMThanks, so
- Originally it would have been 2+2 to MM 81, but due to $$ it is now to exit 74 then 77 then 80 starting with late 2024?

The original plans were for 4+2+2+4 from Exit 62 to Exit 80, then 4+4 to Exit 85. After the northbound ETLs open this year the layout will be 4+2+2+4 to Exit 67, then 4+2+4 to Exit 74. By 2027 the layout north of Exit 74 will have six lanes in total for northbound traffic.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PM- Originally it would have been NB and SB but now it is just NB with no plans for SB (wow) because NB had it worse with the lane drop-off at exit 77?

That is correct. The current construction project included the replacement of all of the narrow overpasses north of Exit 67 to provide sufficient space for the southbound ETL carriage way to be constructed.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PM- Originally It would have been 4-2-2-4 to MM 81, now it will be 4-2-4 to exit 77 then 3-2-3 77 to exit 80?

As cited above the general purpose lanes will eventually be widened north of Exit 74. This means that the segment of I-95 between Exit 77 (MD 24) and Exit 80 (MD 543) will eventually be doubled in width from six lanes to twelve, but I don't believe any widening of the southbound carriage way north of Exit 74 will occur during the latter stages of this construction project.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PMCan't believe MD has no plan for SB ext.
Frankly I think it should be 4-2-2-4 to 80 then 4-4 across the new Tydings bridge.

I have my own thoughts on how the ETLs could be extended further but they are best discussed in the Fictional Highways forum.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PMWhat I find dumb is how MD unlike VA refuses to make it a P3, where HOV would be lower the toll and the P3 funds could expedite this project.

I strongly believe that if the highway was not already a toll facility owned and operated by the MdTA, someone would have proposed to do just that. But since it is already a toll road, it is only logical and proper that the state's toll facility operator should undertake the expansion of the highway and rely solely on its capacity to issue revenue bonds for construction and amalgamate its toll revenue to pay for them.

bluecountry

So will the ROW at least be there to eventually make it 4-2-2-4 to 80, then 4-4 to 85?
Also, what would be your plan for I-95 in MD to exit 91 across the Tydings bridge?

jmacswimmer

The ROW should be there for the eventual SB ETL extension, my understanding is that funding is the only reason it isn't happening now alongside the NB extension. As TheOneKEA noted, all of the overpasses replaced along the stretch from exits 67 to 77 have the width for the future SB ETL's.

As for beyond exit 80...many of the existing bridges carrying I-95, with a few small exceptions and of course the extremely notable exception of the Tydings Bridge, appear to have been future-proofed from the start for eventual widening and would seem to imply that widening will eventually occur into the median, if/whenever that occurs.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

bluecountry

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 24, 2024, 10:45:03 AMThe ROW should be there for the eventual SB ETL extension, my understanding is that funding is the only reason it isn't happening now alongside the NB extension. As TheOneKEA noted, all of the overpasses replaced along the stretch from exits 67 to 77 have the width for the future SB ETL's.

As for beyond exit 80...many of the existing bridges carrying I-95, with a few small exceptions and of course the extremely notable exception of the Tydings Bridge, appear to have been future-proofed from the start for eventual widening and would seem to imply that widening will eventually occur into the median, if/whenever that occurs.
I'm surprised replacing/renovating the Tydings Bridge is never discussed.  That should be a priority. 

MASTERNC

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 02, 2024, 10:43:18 AMLooks like work on the Belvidere Road interchange on I-95 will be ramping up. Thought they broke ground well over a year ago. Barrier on the shoulder has been there for a few weeks and speed camera signage/barriers are ready to go.

WORK ZONE SPEED CAMERA ENFORCEMENT BEGINS BOTH DIRECTIONS OF I-95 IN CECIL COUNTY

Beginning July 10.  Doesn't look like they're doing warnings anymore.

epzik8

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 27, 2024, 06:29:49 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on June 02, 2024, 10:43:18 AMLooks like work on the Belvidere Road interchange on I-95 will be ramping up. Thought they broke ground well over a year ago. Barrier on the shoulder has been there for a few weeks and speed camera signage/barriers are ready to go.

WORK ZONE SPEED CAMERA ENFORCEMENT BEGINS BOTH DIRECTIONS OF I-95 IN CECIL COUNTY

Beginning July 10.  Doesn't look like they're doing warnings anymore.

Which is why I always heed the signs. Can't afford a speeding ticket in the mail.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Quote from: epzik8 on June 30, 2024, 08:37:32 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on June 27, 2024, 06:29:49 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on June 02, 2024, 10:43:18 AMLooks like work on the Belvidere Road interchange on I-95 will be ramping up. Thought they broke ground well over a year ago. Barrier on the shoulder has been there for a few weeks and speed camera signage/barriers are ready to go.

WORK ZONE SPEED CAMERA ENFORCEMENT BEGINS BOTH DIRECTIONS OF I-95 IN CECIL COUNTY

Beginning July 10.  Doesn't look like they're doing warnings anymore.

Which is why I always heed the signs. Can't afford a speeding ticket in the mail.

That's right.  Speeding is only for those who have illegal money.

Also, shouldn't be speeding in work zones, anyway.  Attending an annual DOT's workers memorial drives this point home.

Finally, if I'm ever caught speeding in a work zone at a speed high enough to get ticketed by a camera, it could affect by career.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: bluecountry on June 23, 2024, 08:19:22 PMAlso, what would be your plan for I-95 in MD to exit 91 across the Tydings bridge?

Here you go.

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 24, 2024, 10:45:03 AMThe ROW should be there for the eventual SB ETL extension, my understanding is that funding is the only reason it isn't happening now alongside the NB extension. As TheOneKEA noted, all of the overpasses replaced along the stretch from exits 67 to 77 have the width for the future SB ETL's.

As for beyond exit 80...many of the existing bridges carrying I-95, with a few small exceptions and of course the extremely notable exception of the Tydings Bridge, appear to have been future-proofed from the start for eventual widening and would seem to imply that widening will eventually occur into the median, if/whenever that occurs.

An old discussion thread on the Usenet forum misc.transport.road stated that all of the underpasses used by the I-95 mainline were widened to support future expansion to eight lanes when the highway was widened to six lanes back in the 1970s. This was made use of when I-95 was widened to eight lanes between Exit 62 and Exit 77.

epzik8



Reddit (not posted by me)
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

dlsterner

Quote from: epzik8 on July 01, 2024, 08:42:04 PM

Reddit (not posted by me)

I may be wrong on this (wouldn't be the first time), but here goes.

(1)  My understanding that upgrading from 4 to 6 lanes in that stretch is already under consideration.  And I agree with that idea.

(2)  My understanding is the lack of exits between US 50 and MD 32 was due to opposition by local residents who insisted that there not be any exits in that area.  And if there was (say at Hawkins Road), I doubt the other roads could handle any bail-out traffic from I-97.  Not needed at this time.

TheOneKEA

The lack of exits on the southernmost five miles of I-97 is not solely due to local opposition, but due to the fact that most of the alignment of the highway passes through the former grounds of the Crownsville State Hospital and adjacent to the Bacon Ridge Natural Area. When this part of the highway was being planned and designed, this area of Anne Arundel County was way more rural than it is now and no exits would have been necessary.

The only place where an exit should be considered now is the MD 450 crossing just before the semi-directional T where I-97 meets I-595/US 50/US 301. A partial diamond interchange with southbound exit and northbound entrance ramps would help relieve congestion on the ramp from US 50 east/301 north to MD 450 in Parole.

epzik8

Quote from: dlsterner on July 01, 2024, 11:25:06 PM(2)  My understanding is the lack of exits between US 50 and MD 32 was due to opposition by local residents who insisted that there not be any exits in that area.  And if there was (say at Hawkins Road), I doubt the other roads could handle any bail-out traffic from I-97.  Not needed at this time.

I don't see any place to put an exit along that stretch, anyway.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jmacswimmer

#2671
Quote from: dlsterner on July 01, 2024, 11:25:06 PM(1)  My understanding that upgrading from 4 to 6 lanes in that stretch is already under consideration.  And I agree with that idea.

Yes - I coincidentally just stumbled across SHA's project page for this a few weeks ago. Currently at 30% design, construction tentatively scheduled to start in 2027.

QuoteThe scope of the project includes:

- An additional travel lane for both northbound and southbound on I-97 from US 50/US 301 to MD 3/MD 32;
- An additional travel lane on US 50/US 301 collector/distributor roadway from MD 655 [sic] to I-97 northbound;
- Widening of the I-97 northbound bridge over MD 450;
- Widening of the I-97 northbound and southbound bridges over Crownsville Road; and
- Stormwater management facilities.

Here's the project page in case anyone's interested - includes 4 pdf's overlaying the design onto the current satellite view, which was super helpful for visualizing the project: https://mdot-sha-i97-us50-to-md32-aa9455172-maryland.hub.arcgis.com/

Absolutely agreed on the need for this widening and glad SHA agrees - when I looked up traffic counts for Maryland 2di's in order to post in the six-laning project thread in fictional, it turned out that this stretch of I-97 has the highest count of any four-lane segment of 2di in the state at almost 100,000 (93,521 in 2022, but reached 98,731 in 2019).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

bluecountry

Quote from: TheOneKEA on June 30, 2024, 11:18:50 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on June 23, 2024, 08:19:22 PMAlso, what would be your plan for I-95 in MD to exit 91 across the Tydings bridge?

Here you go.

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 24, 2024, 10:45:03 AMThe ROW should be there for the eventual SB ETL extension, my understanding is that funding is the only reason it isn't happening now alongside the NB extension. As TheOneKEA noted, all of the overpasses replaced along the stretch from exits 67 to 77 have the width for the future SB ETL's.

As for beyond exit 80...many of the existing bridges carrying I-95, with a few small exceptions and of course the extremely notable exception of the Tydings Bridge, appear to have been future-proofed from the start for eventual widening and would seem to imply that widening will eventually occur into the median, if/whenever that occurs.

An old discussion thread on the Usenet forum misc.transport.road stated that all of the underpasses used by the I-95 mainline were widened to support future expansion to eight lanes when the highway was widened to six lanes back in the 1970s. This was made use of when I-95 was widened to eight lanes between Exit 62 and Exit 77.
When was it widened between 62 and 77?

snowc

Quote from: epzik8 on June 30, 2024, 08:37:32 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on June 27, 2024, 06:29:49 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on June 02, 2024, 10:43:18 AMLooks like work on the Belvidere Road interchange on I-95 will be ramping up. Thought they broke ground well over a year ago. Barrier on the shoulder has been there for a few weeks and speed camera signage/barriers are ready to go.

WORK ZONE SPEED CAMERA ENFORCEMENT BEGINS BOTH DIRECTIONS OF I-95 IN CECIL COUNTY

Beginning July 10.  Doesn't look like they're doing warnings anymore.

Which is why I always heed the signs. Can't afford a speeding ticket in the mail.
Have them on I-81 near MD/WV line back in 2019 and almost got a ticket.
southeastern road geek since 2001.
here's my clinched counties https://mob-rule.com/user/snowc
and my clinched roads https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=snowc
i'm on kartaview as well https://kartaview.org/user/computer-geek
wikipedia too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BryceM2001

TheOneKEA

Quote from: bluecountry on July 02, 2024, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: TheOneKEA on June 30, 2024, 11:18:50 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on June 23, 2024, 08:19:22 PMAlso, what would be your plan for I-95 in MD to exit 91 across the Tydings bridge?

Here you go.

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 24, 2024, 10:45:03 AMThe ROW should be there for the eventual SB ETL extension, my understanding is that funding is the only reason it isn't happening now alongside the NB extension. As TheOneKEA noted, all of the overpasses replaced along the stretch from exits 67 to 77 have the width for the future SB ETL's.

As for beyond exit 80...many of the existing bridges carrying I-95, with a few small exceptions and of course the extremely notable exception of the Tydings Bridge, appear to have been future-proofed from the start for eventual widening and would seem to imply that widening will eventually occur into the median, if/whenever that occurs.

An old discussion thread on the Usenet forum misc.transport.road stated that all of the underpasses used by the I-95 mainline were widened to support future expansion to eight lanes when the highway was widened to six lanes back in the 1970s. This was made use of when I-95 was widened to eight lanes between Exit 62 and Exit 77.
When was it widened between 62 and 77?

Sometime in the late 1980s. I don't have an exact date for when it was widened.



Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.