News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

So what exactly will they do with the Beltline interchange? Are they still planning on doing a full reconstruction and realignment, or are they simply going to do some realignment and leave most of the existing infrastructure in place?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: gbgoose on April 14, 2018, 08:30:23 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 11, 2018, 12:33:08 PM
For sure need a c/d lane for those loops if they end up keeping both of them.  A SB->EB turbine ramp was included in many of the options I've seen from WisDOT.  But in reality, I doubt that's really needed.  Changing that ramp just improves the options to get better geometry from the other ramps.

Speaking of the beltline, has there ever been any discussion of extending the beltline through the north side between Middleton and Waunakee and re-connecting it with 39-90?

Yes.  But I doubt it will happen as a freeway and I doubt it would relieve much congestion on the current Beltline. 

dcharlie

Speaking of the beltline, has there ever been any discussion of extending the beltline through the north side between Middleton and Waunakee and re-connecting it with 39-90?
[/quote]

I used to have a link to a website about a North side beltline.  But can't find it and google isn't helping.  This is the probably close but is almost 10 years old.

https://plandev.countyofdane.com/planning/North_Mendota.aspx

dvferyance

Quote from: dcharlie on April 14, 2018, 01:15:04 PM

I used to have a link to a website about a North side beltline.  But can't find it and google isn't helping.  This is the probably close but is almost 10 years old.

https://plandev.countyofdane.com/planning/North_Mendota.aspx
[/quote]The only changes that need to be made to the beltline that I can see is a direct connection to US 18-151 and an interchange at Hwy K.

triplemultiplex

The non-freeway North Mendota Parkway is the closest we will ever get I reckon.  It would be an surface arterial upgrade of CTH M and CTH K to the Beltline from WI 113.  I suspect the uncertainty about the North Mendota Parkway is why we don't have an interchange for US 12 at CTH K already.  Some of the options bring it in right along existing CTH K, others put it a little north on a new alignment.  The Freeway Conversion Study for US 12 between Middleton and WI 19 eludes to this in some of its documentation.
http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/12freeway/default.aspx

Quote from: I-39 on April 14, 2018, 11:51:13 AM
So what exactly will they do with the Beltline interchange? Are they still planning on doing a full reconstruction and realignment, or are they simply going to do some realignment and leave most of the existing infrastructure in place?

Someone should swing by the PIM in McFarland Tuesday night and find out!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

DaBigE

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 16, 2018, 11:29:37 AM

The non-freeway North Mendota Parkway is the closest we will ever get I reckon.  It would be an surface arterial upgrade of CTH M and CTH K to the Beltline from WI 113.  I suspect the uncertainty about the North Mendota Parkway is why we don't have an interchange for US 12 at CTH K already.  Some of the options bring it in right along existing CTH K, others put it a little north on a new alignment.  The Freeway Conversion Study for US 12 between Middleton and WI 19 eludes to this in some of its documentation.

I can't find a link to the posting anymore, but Dane County recently put out an RFP for significant upgrades to CTH M from approximately Middleton to STH 113.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SSOWorld

Quote from: DaBigE on April 16, 2018, 11:59:21 AM

I can't find a link to the posting anymore, but Dane County recently put out an RFP for significant upgrades to CTH M from approximately Middleton to STH 113.
probably mothballed alongside the US-10 Stevens Point and I-94 through the cemetery projects
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 16, 2018, 09:55:11 PM
probably mothballed alongside the US-10 Stevens Point and I-94 through the cemetery projects

North Mendota Pkwy is a Dane County project, not WisDOT.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

DaBigE

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 16, 2018, 09:55:11 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on April 16, 2018, 11:59:21 AM

The CTH M RFP was a project posted within the past couple months, and like triplemultiplex said, it's a county project, not WisDOT. The winning design firm is supposed to be announced any time now.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

mgk920

Is anyone else noticing a severe deterioration of Wisconsin license plates that were issued several years ago, mainly six-character plates in the number range from about [nnn-Fxx] to about [nnn-Sxx]?  The retro-reflective white (with artwork) backing is peeling away from the aluminum substrate on many of them, rendering a large number of the plates in that number range unreadable.

:wow:

Mike

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: mgk920 on April 27, 2018, 09:33:42 PM
Is anyone else noticing a severe deterioration of Wisconsin license plates that were issued several years ago, mainly six-character plates in the number range from about [nnn-Fxx] to about [nnn-Sxx]?  The retro-reflective white (with artwork) backing is peeling away from the aluminum substrate on many of them, rendering a large number of the plates in that number range unreadable.

:wow:

Mike

Yes I have noticed that. In fact, I seem to recall the Journal Sentinel did a short piece about that a year or two ago. WisDOT said something along the lines of “well, they’re not supposed to last forever...”  They look like absolute garbage, and I’ve even noticed it on some more recent issues, including one that was a nnn-Zxx plate, which should have been issued in late 2016 or early 17.

Edit- it was actually the State Journal:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ask/just-ask-us/just-ask-us-license-plates-do-fall-apart-but-it/article_dd598585-e68b-5813-ab57-3d476d2209b8.html

SSOWorld

Situation - cheap metal and whatever material used to apply the sealed paint.

They also stopped replacing plates after X many years and expect one to replace them themselves now - and yes you get new numbers.  Mine were quite damaged by wear and I ended up with a AAA-0000 plate set.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JREwing78

JMAN_WiS&S

Looks like WISDOT has started working on the Signal-Head-Per-Lane upgrades along U.S. Hwy 12 (Clairemont Ave) in Eau Claire. http://www.weau.com/content/news/State-DOT-improving-traffic-signals-at-21-area-intersections-482002271.html

Also recently completed was the lane & signal phase re configuring of two intersections on STH 93, which included the installation of Monotube masts for the side roads. http://www.leadertelegram.com/News/Front-Page/2018/04/30/New-traffic-configuration-should-help-Highway-93-drivers.html
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

on_wisconsin

^^
Speaking of the NW division finally getting in the signal per-lane game. Taken at WIS 25/ N. Broadway St. and Ceder Falls Rd. in Menomonie:

Looking Northbound:

Southbound:

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

dvferyance

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 16, 2018, 02:25:22 PM
^^
Speaking of the NW division finally getting in the signal per-lane game. Taken at WIS 25/ N. Broadway St. and Ceder Falls Rd. in Menomonie:

Looking Northbound:

Southbound:

Do you know if they did this at the intersections on the other side of I-94? Like at Oak Ave and Pine Ave.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: dvferyance on May 16, 2018, 05:02:07 PMDo you know if they did this at the intersections on the other side of I-94? Like at Oak Ave and Pine Ave.

No, the speed limit drops to 35 immediately south of the Interstate so I doubt they'll get replaced soon. The lights on the interchange itself where replaced last year but with virtically mounted fixtures on new trombone arms, however.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

dvferyance

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 17, 2018, 12:45:58 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on May 16, 2018, 05:02:07 PMDo you know if they did this at the intersections on the other side of I-94? Like at Oak Ave and Pine Ave.

No, the speed limit drops to 35 immediately south of the Interstate so I doubt they'll get replaced soon. The lights on the interchange itself where replaced last year but with virtically mounted fixtures on new trombone arms, however.
What does the speed limit have to do with anything?

JMAN_WiS&S

I am back in Eau Claire for the summer and got out today to check on the "Signal Head Per Lane" progress. All intersections from London Rd to Truax Blvd have new foundations installed for mainline traffic. Initially I thought only the 3 lane intersections london rd to vine st were going to get Monotubes, and Moholt to Truax would be getting double trombone arms with the heads mounted vertically, but that does not seem to be the case. University Dr, Stein Blvd, Hendrickson Dr (STH 37), and Craig Rd all have vertical masts installed and have the monotubes with signals installed laying on the ground waiting installation. It looks like reflective yellow boarder is going to be the norm with these signals. Below are some pictures of the stuff at University Dr.

IMG_20180517_110450 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

IMG_20180517_110453 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

IMG_20180517_110500 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

IMG_20180517_110504 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

I also checked out the completed projects on STH 93 at the Golf Rd and Hamilton Ave Intersections. I took these photos at Golf Rd, they aren't the best, my apologies.

IMG_20180517_104933 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

IMG_20180517_104939 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

IMG_20180517_104942 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

IMG_20180517_104948 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

I find it interesting that they are going to leave the mainline signals alone and not upgrade them to vertical mount on monotube mast arm.

Lastly I swung by STH 37 to check out the construction there, and they were actually putting up the poles for the span wire temporary signals as I was there!

IMG_20180517_113557 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

IMG_20180517_113555 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

IMG_20180517_113552 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

IMG_20180517_113550 by WisconsinSirens&Signals, on Flickr

I intend on getting out and doing some progress updates as these projects continue over the summer.

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

invincor

The Wisconsin state highway system's numbering was first posted during a week in May of 1918, or so I have read.

That means somewhere around now we're having the 100th Anniversary of the world's first numbered highway system. 

Happy Anniversary everyone!

kkt

Quote from: invincor on May 18, 2018, 03:33:16 PM
The Wisconsin state highway system's numbering was first posted during a week in May of 1918, or so I have read.

That means somewhere around now we're having the 100th Anniversary of the world's first numbered highway system. 

Happy Anniversary everyone!

The world's first?  Napoleon's government numbered the major French roads starting in 1811 (and I can't be sure they were first).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_nationale

QuoteThe system dates back to December 16, 1811, when Napoleon designated a number of routes impériales (imperial highways). First class routes were numbered from 1 to 14; all began at Paris, radiating out in a clockwise manner.

invincor

http://wisconsinhighways.org/historical_overview.html is where I got it from. 

Perhaps he meant it in terms of auto travel?  As opposed to human feet and horses. 

JMAN_WiS&S

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmkKJeAP

I have a huge chunk of new photos from Clairemont Ave in Eau Claire. Looks like I will have to go out again for more pics as all of the equipment in these pictures has been installed as of last week. Go check them out in the album since there are too many photos to post here.

Pixel

peterj920

I-43 in Ozaukee County will finally get smoothed out.  It's going to be diamond ground again.  Wonder why WISDOT doesn't resurface the road instead?  I'm guessing they think the concrete is still in good shape aside from the joints?

https://projects.511wi.gov/i43diamond/

Roadguy

Quote from: peterj920 on May 31, 2018, 03:18:20 PM
I-43 in Ozaukee County will finally get smoothed out.  It's going to be diamond ground again.  Wonder why WISDOT doesn't resurface the road instead?  I'm guessing they think the concrete is still in good shape aside from the joints?

https://projects.511wi.gov/i43diamond/

The concrete is in good shape, the problem is the "faulting" where the concrete panels are shifting. The reason being Wisconsin made the mistake for many years thinking they could remove the steel that connects each panel (Dowel bars). They are wasting their money diamond grinding this stretch, it's just a temporary fix. To solve it they need to do a dowel bar retrofit where they place the steel in that would support the loads as they travel over the joints. They keep doing this to many roads around the state (just diamond grinding), time to get the act together and do it right with a dowel bar retrofit.

The ride on 43 at this point is miserable: thump... thump... thump... thump... thump...

Details:
www.wisconsindot.gov/rdwy/sdd/sd-13c10.pdf
http://www.pavementinteractive.org/dowel-bar-retrofit-construction-practices/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.