News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Rhode Island mileage based exit numbers?

Started by vdeane, April 27, 2014, 05:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

With Labor Day (and its epic torrential downpours) in the past, no unusual weather predicted, and summer crowds slowly dissipating, it should be easier to get it done (although I know it's done at night).

bob7374

It appears exit renumbering has made it as far south as the I-195 exit, based on this traffic camera image along I-95 North which shows a sign for the new exit number for the I-195/US 6 East exit, Exit 36A:

I am hoping to make it down to Providence over the weekend to document the progress in exit renumbering myself.

shadyjay

I can confirm... was through there this morning.

DSC02456 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

The sign for Exit 18 in the distance from this sign still says Exit 18... the former Exit 19 is the first renumbered exit at this time, heading north.  It just happens that some of the Exit 19 signs come before Exit 18, hence you see Exit 36A, then Exit 18, then Exit 36A.

Got the signs from here up to the MA state line, plus new I-95 signs northbound up to I-495.  Link in the sig below.

nsub1

Thought I'd comment as a very casual roadgeek whose local exit is one of the new 37s. For several days, the leading edge of the renumbering going northbound was old 25A/B (new 39B/C). So there was a 39B and 39C northbound, but no 39A (as it was still 24). Going southbound, though, the leading edge was 37B/C/D (old 22A/B/C), so not only was there a 37B, C, and D, without 37A, but the exits were numbered differently depending on which direction you were going! (Yesterday had a similar situation in the opposite direction, as the renumbering moved southward on the northbound side, but stayed put on the southbound side, so exits 19, 20, and 21 going southbound were exits 37A, 36B, and 36A, respectively).

Also, for what it's worth, I noticed that they were (and maybe still are) staging the signs before installation up in Massachusetts at the rest stop near NB MM 10.

Ted$8roadFan

Google Maps is starting to reflect the changes as well. 

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: nsub1 on September 17, 2022, 09:08:21 PM
Thought I'd comment as a very casual roadgeek whose local exit is one of the new 37s. For several days, the leading edge of the renumbering going northbound was old 25A/B (new 39B/C). So there was a 39B and 39C northbound, but no 39A (as it was still 24). Going southbound, though, the leading edge was 37B/C/D (old 22A/B/C), so not only was there a 37B, C, and D, without 37A, but the exits were numbered differently depending on which direction you were going! (Yesterday had a similar situation in the opposite direction, as the renumbering moved southward on the northbound side, but stayed put on the southbound side, so exits 19, 20, and 21 going southbound were exits 37A, 36B, and 36A, respectively).

Also, for what it's worth, I noticed that they were (and maybe still are) staging the signs before installation up in Massachusetts at the rest stop near NB MM 10.

They are; i drove by there today and the signs are indeed sitting there.

shadyjay

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 18, 2022, 04:56:13 PM
Quote from: nsub1 on September 17, 2022, 09:08:21 PM

They are; i drove by there today and the signs are indeed sitting there.

At least that rest area is finally serving a purpose... if only for contractor staging. 

It is sad what that facility has become.  I remember it being a vibrant place, stopping there on the way to Great Woods (err... Tweeter Center... errr... Comcast xfinity whatever it is this week).  Would it be that much to rehab/staff the building, pick up the trash, and spruce up the grounds?  RI closed theirs on I-95 North for a few years, but realized the error of their ways and reopened it. 

bob7374

I've posted the latest round of signs renumbered along I-95, such as those in downtown Providence through Old Exit 19:

to my I-95 in RI photo gallery: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95riphotos.html

Exit renumbering has proceeded to at least old Exit 17 since the photos were taken.

Ted$8roadFan

The new exit numbering has made it to the RI-10 interchange (New Exit 33/Old Exit 16).

bob7374

Here's the renumbered 1/2 mile advance sign for the RI 10 exit:

Work should get to at least the I-295 exit by the end of this week.

southshore720

I'm incredibly perplexed by the exit tabs for Exit 42A-B on I-95 NB (Former 29) being ground-mounted and not affixed to the gantry signs above.  Anything ground-mounted in RI is a goner (vehicle strikes are plentiful) and we'll have horribly designed RIDOT one-offs in their place soon enough!

MATraveler128

Quote from: southshore720 on September 26, 2022, 10:20:52 PM
I'm incredibly perplexed by the exit tabs for Exit 42A-B on I-95 NB (Former 29) being ground-mounted and not affixed to the gantry signs above.  Anything ground-mounted in RI is a goner (vehicle strikes are plentiful) and we'll have horribly designed RIDOT one-offs in their place soon enough!

I think the exit overlay for the gore sign was half assed, not sure why they felt the need to overlay the old sign with a new sign instead of green out.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kramie13

Rhode Island is at least installing brand new exit tabs.  Massachusetts was very "tacky", just overlaying numbers.

As a result, we have some knocked-down then re-posted damaged gore signs displaying the old number, as seen here.

PurdueBill

Quote from: kramie13 on September 27, 2022, 11:35:20 AM
Rhode Island is at least installing brand new exit tabs.  Massachusetts was very "tacky", just overlaying numbers.

As a result, we have some knocked-down then re-posted damaged gore signs displaying the old number, as seen here.

Mass had a number of signs with the older design "integral" tabs still out there which could only be covered up vs. replaced.  It made sense to do them all the same way.  The gore sign knockdowns, on the other hand, really warrant something better than a sign with the old number being put back up...a generic "EXIT" with arrow and no number would be better than posting the old number!

bob7374

The RIDOT project page has been updated with a statement saying exit numbering is complete from Exits 13 to 30. Work was proceeding with Old Exit 12B on Monday night.

Ted$8roadFan

Having driven that stretch today, the renumbering has been completed at least as far as I-295 south/RI-113 interchanges in Warwick (new exit 28/old exit 11).

MATraveler128

Google Maps has updated all exit numbers regardless of whether or not RIDOT has got to them.

bob7374

The RIDOT Exit Renumbering Project website has been updated to indicated Old Exits 6-30 have now been renumbered. I plan to wait until the project is completed, perhaps next week, to check out the final renumbered signs.

MATraveler128

It appears all exits along I-95 have been renumbered according to the RIDOT Exit Renumbering website thus officially completing the project since Exit 1 will not change.

https://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/exitnumbers/index.php

shadyjay

Yes, exits are renumbered all the way down to (former Exit 2), thus completing the project.

New SB mileage pics begin partway down my I-95 page here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157683130427995/page3

spooky

Strange that former Exit 12A southbound to RI 133 EB is now Exit 28B, because they gave separate suffixes to the ramp split for former Exit 12B, identifying it as 28A to I-295 NB and 28C to RI 113 WB. (Note this does not match the RIDOT website listing.)

I'm guessing this is to have consistent exit numbers for I-295 NB in both directions. Similar was done for I-195, which used to be #19 NB and #20 SB, but is now 36A in both directions.

Ted$8roadFan

Some of the auxiliary signs are still missing the new exit numbers, or are about to be replaced by the new mileage-based number, e.g. the Kent County Courthouse sign on I-95N before New Exit 24/Old Exit 8.

bob7374

I had a chance to drive I-95 from Providence to the CT border and back on Friday and document the remaining renumbered exit signs. I have started adding photos taken from the trip to my exit renumbering site, such as this for RI 138 on I-95 North, with a slightly too large old exit sign:

The entire set of photos (SB set complete) will be posted here:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95riphotos.html#new

dvferyance

The 2023 Rand Mcnally Atlas does not mark this change. Strangely they do show millage based exit numbers for Vermont and they haven't fully converted.

shadyjay

Well I bet the 2024 atlas will have the new numbers when it comes out, usually April or May.  Yeah, they jumped the gun with VT's numbers, and CT kept on flip flopping on the Rt 9 numbers, let's see if those get corrected as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.