Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

West Virginia

<< < (87/98) > >>

bluecountry:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on October 31, 2022, 10:49:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: bluecountry on October 31, 2022, 10:06:05 AM ---Any reason why when planning the ARC corridors, they had Corridor D end at I-79, and Corridor H as well?
Why not instead just have Corridor D follow Route 50 to I-81 instead?

--- End quote ---

Corridor D would be unnecessarily close to Corridor E (I-68). Corridor H is also more useful in providing connectivity - Buckhannon and Elkins are larger towns than Grafton, and  the Corridor H alignment is more useful as a jumping-off point to places south than US 50 would have been.

--- End quote ---
My question was how come ARC did not just have Corridor D terminate at I-81 in Winchester via Route 50 vs having Corridor D end at I-79, then have a Corridor H instead serve from I-79 to I-81.  Wouldn't one segment have made more sense than having people have to do D-79-H to 81?

My guess is that this was done to have a Parsons to Washington DC/66 via Wardensville.
If there was no Corridor H and D was just extended to 81, that would have ended in Winchester, 20+ miles north of I-66.

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: bluecountry on November 07, 2022, 03:27:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: bluecountry on October 31, 2022, 10:06:05 AM ---Any reason why when planning the ARC corridors, they had Corridor D end at I-79, and Corridor H as well?

--- End quote ---

Corridor D would be unnecessarily close to Corridor E (I-68). Corridor H is also more useful in providing connectivity - Buckhannon and Elkins are larger towns than Grafton, and  the Corridor H alignment is more useful as a jumping-off point to places south than US 50 would have been.

--- End quote ---
My question was how come ARC did not just have Corridor D terminate at I-81 in Winchester via Route 50 vs having Corridor D end at I-79, then have a Corridor H instead serve from I-79 to I-81.  Wouldn't one segment have made more sense than having people have to do D-79-H to 81?

My guess is that this was done to have a Parsons to Washington DC/66 via Wardensville.
If there was no Corridor H and D was just extended to 81, that would have ended in Winchester, 20+ miles north of I-66.

--- End quote ---

Like I said earlier, an extended Corridor D would have been too close to Corridor E east of I-79. That's a major factor in why Corridor D ends at I-79 and not I-81.

Parsons and Wardensville were not on the original planned route of Corridor H. The original route was to continue along US 33 east of Elkins. Issues with that route resulted in lawsuits and settlements that resulted in the realignment north towards its current route.

bluecountry:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on November 07, 2022, 06:39:40 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Like I said earlier, an extended Corridor D would have been too close to Corridor E east of I-79. That's a major factor in why Corridor D ends at I-79 and not I-81.

Parsons and Wardensville were not on the original planned route of Corridor H. The original route was to continue along US 33 east of Elkins. Issues with that route resulted in lawsuits and settlements that resulted in the realignment north towards its current route.

--- End quote ---
Oh ok, so it had nothing to do with providing a more direct route to DC via Strasburg?

Mapmikey:
West Virginia tried to get I-66 extended to Weston in 1970 - http://www.vahighways.com/wvannex/route-log/i066.htm

The map suggests it would've followed US 33 then VA 55 - http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/yellowbook/additions-1970.jpg

amroad17:

--- Quote from: bluecountry on November 12, 2022, 07:38:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bitmapped on November 07, 2022, 06:39:40 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Oh ok, so it had nothing to do with providing a more direct route to DC via Strasburg?

--- End quote ---
I picked up a West Virginia state map in 1996 which showed the proposed routing of Corridor H.  I believe it was to have followed US 33 to Seneca Rocks, then headed up to Petersburg, then Moorefield, and then continued on its current routing east of Moorefield.  I do remember seeing US 33 shown on the map along this proposed routing. 

I believe US 33 was shown constructed to 4-lane expressway standards east of Elkins in preparation for Corridor H--which ended up not being a part of Corridor H because of the change of routing with reasons mentioned in the above posts, hence the nickname of "The Racetrack" given to that section of US 33.  A question I have is if US 33 was to be re-routed on the original proposed Corridor H, what would the current US 33 from Seneca Rocks to Richmond been renumbered as?  US 37?  US 48?

For another topic, why is WV 55 routed the way it is?  Is this a "we need a single number to get from US 19 to Moorefield"?  The extension of WV 55 should not have occurred in the first place as it is concurrent with other routes most of the way across the state.  WV 55 should end at US 220 in Moorefield and have the independent section of WV 55 from US 19 in Muddlety to WV 20 in Craigsville be two different state routes--an extension of WV 41 from where it currently ends at WV 55 to Craigsville and WV 555 along the rest of the route to Muddlety.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version