News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Adding "Other" gender option

Started by Hwy 61 Revisited, June 22, 2020, 09:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwy 61 Revisited

I feel like this gender option selector might be behind the times. As far as I know, we only have one nonbinary user (vtk), but I am sure there are more. How would you feel about adding such a thing?
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

MikeTheActuary

My suggestion would be to make it moot, and not ask the question.

hotdogPi

While I voted "yes", it shouldn't be write-in. What if someone's gender on the forum was "frog" or something equally silly?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: 1 on June 22, 2020, 09:18:23 PM
While I voted "yes", it shouldn't be write-in. What if someone's gender on the forum was "frog" or something equally silly?

I agree... it may be easy for someone like FritzOwl to mark their gender as FritzOwl.

EDIT: Removed write-in option.
--David Byrne

Ketchup99

I don't think it's political to say that there should absolutely be the option for non-binary genders. But better yet, what if it didn't ask for gender, and just asked for pronouns? As long as we know what pronouns to call each other it should be fine. (He/him for the record.)

Roadgeekteen

I'm in favor. It's 2020, and people can have complicated gender identities.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: Ketchup99 on June 22, 2020, 09:47:47 PM
I don't think it's political to say that there should absolutely be the option for non-binary genders. But better yet, what if it didn't ask for gender, and just asked for pronouns? As long as we know what pronouns to call each other it should be fine. (He/him for the record.)

He/they. Also, it's marked as one of the options. I understand it's marked as a negative answer ("No, use pronouns instead"), but it is an alternative solution. That is also what is used on DeviantArt.
--David Byrne

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: webny99 on June 22, 2020, 10:42:50 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on June 22, 2020, 09:18:11 PM
My suggestion would be to make it moot, and not ask the question.

I agree. That's why it's not a required field, so that no one has to identify their gender if they don't want to.

We would keep the non-required part as a sort of "Prefer not to answer" deal.
--David Byrne

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 22, 2020, 09:13:03 PM
I feel like this gender option selector might be behind the times. As far as I know, we only have one nonbinary user (vtk), but I am sure there are more. How would you feel about adding such a thing?

Gonna nip this in the bud right here.  This feature is built into SMF.  We can't change it.  You'd have to bring this up to the SMF people to change on their end to add more options to it.

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 22, 2020, 11:01:13 PM
Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 22, 2020, 09:13:03 PM

Gonna nip this in the bud right here.  This feature is built into SMF.  We can't change it.  You'd have to bring this up to the SMF people to change on their end to add more options to it.

And we all know that anytime there's a change in the forum software that requires an update, it usually causes problems for the user base.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Wow, I didn't even remember that the site asked for a gender at all.  Goes to show how rarely I look at my user profile...

No matter options were included in that field, it still probably wouldn't account for everything a user might want to put.  Probable example: jeffandnicole.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 23, 2020, 01:38:06 PM
Wow, I didn't even remember that the site asked for a gender at all.  Goes to show how rarely I look at my user profile...

No matter options were included in that field, it still probably wouldn't account for everything a user might want to put.  Probable example: jeffandnicole.
Jeff is really the only one who uses that account.

Quote from: kphoger on June 23, 2020, 01:38:54 PM

I don't think it's political to say ...

Ha.  Right.
It shouldn't be political.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 23, 2020, 01:42:59 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 23, 2020, 01:38:06 PM

Jeff is really the only one who uses that account.

Quote from: kphoger on June 23, 2020, 01:38:54 PM

I don't think it's political to say ...

Ha.  Right.
It shouldn't be political.

Where's the damn "Us, but really He" option???

1995hoo

Somebody will probably take offense at this comment, but I have absolutely no idea what the subject line envisions by "other," unless you were referring to a shared account used by both a man and a woman.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 23, 2020, 02:05:52 PM
Somebody will probably take offense at this comment, but I have absolutely no idea what the subject line envisions by "other," unless you were referring to a shared account used by both a man and a woman.
Not everyone identifies as male or female.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: Alps on June 23, 2020, 02:07:17 PM
Exactly. Some people even have fluid gender identities, and others lack gender altogether!
--David Byrne

1995hoo

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what that means. I'm not trying to be rude by saying that; rather, I have no idea what else you could "identify as." Maybe that's because whatever you mean is so utterly alien to anything I've ever experienced that I have no clue what it is supposed to mean.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 23, 2020, 02:17:27 PM

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what that means. I'm not trying to be rude by saying that; rather, I have no idea what else you could "identify as." Maybe that's because whatever you mean is so utterly alien to anything I've ever experienced that I have no clue what it is supposed to mean.

Some people identify as neither or as something in between male and female.

That being said, I don't think it applies to anyone on this forum; switching gender (as vtk did) is handled perfectly fine by the current options.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Hwy 61 Revisited

The binary genders of male and female are well-ingrained in human consciousness. Transgender people are people who identify as something other than the sex for which they were born. A transgender woman is a woman assigned male at birth, and a trans man a man assigned female at birth. Nonbinary people are transgender as well, but not nearly as recognized as binary trans people.
--David Byrne

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on June 23, 2020, 02:21:06 PM

And that again takes me back to what I said before–I have no idea what that means as to "neither" or "something in between" because I have no idea what other options exist. I mean, I understand the term "neuter," both in terms of grammar and in terms of neutering a dog or a cat (and I have no desire to envision surgically neutering a person), but I simply have no idea what in the world the rest of this all means.

Probably best just to leave it there because in the end it doesn't really matter. I don't want to start an argument or unintentionally offend someone, and let me emphasize I'm not making my comments with the intent of ridiculing anyone. Let's just drop it before one of us does wind up saying something rude.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 23, 2020, 03:02:40 PM

Quote from: 1 on June 23, 2020, 02:21:06 PM

And that again takes me back to what I said before–I have no idea what that means as to "neither" or "something in between" because I have no idea what other options exist. I mean, I understand the term "neuter," both in terms of grammar and in terms of neutering a dog or a cat (and I have no desire to envision surgically neutering a person), but I simply have no idea what in the world the rest of this all means.

Probably best just to leave it there because in the end it doesn't really matter. I don't want to start an argument or unintentionally offend someone, and let me emphasize I'm not making my comments with the intent of ridiculing anyone. Let's just drop it before one of us does wind up saying something rude.

I don't think you and I necessarily have to understand what is meant by such terminology in order to accept that other people would prefer something else as an option in the drop-down menu.  That, in turn, doesn't mean we have agree with putting extra options in, but I think it's perfectly acceptable to admit there's something we don't have a fundamental understanding of.
Male pronouns, please.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 23, 2020, 03:02:40 PM

A roads forum isn't really going to be the ideal place to learn about things like this. I might suggest starting with the Wikipedia entry if you want to learn more.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sturmde

How about just adding X the way most states have done on drivers' licenses?
It's not other.. .it's
M male
F female
X category not reported
So, the default would become X.  If someone wants to profess M or F, they easily can.  It's the best solution from my state's Secretary of State.  It becomes an option to report M or F (and any one who is trans or cis can choose whichever they prefer.)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: sturmde on June 23, 2020, 03:20:01 PM
How about just adding X the way most states have done on drivers' licenses?

As I've mentioned above, we can't change that feature here, as it's built into the SMF software.

Anyways, I think this thread has gone on long enough.  The question about adding another option has been answered, and since we can't do anything about it, it's time to lock this down, so no fighting can start.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.