Request: make it so you can see how much you have posted in all the boards

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 29, 2021, 10:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

I'm more interested why my most popular section for activity is the urban planning one. I barely check that section.

webny99

It could potentially be up to 20 boards if your top ten percentage-wise are different than your top ten total posts-wise. Personally, I can view three more by hovering over the pie graphs on the left side for a total of 13.

Doing some quick profile math:
10 boards visible on the right, total 5,675 posts
3 more boards visible by hovering on the left, total 173 posts
Combined total 5,848 of 5,929, or 98.6%.

Sure, it would be interesting to know where my other 81 posts are - but I already know they're mostly in international and the various other regional boards, so while I would support this change, it's not a big deal for me and probably the same way for most other users.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 29, 2021, 10:54:39 PM
I'm more interested why my most popular section for activity is the urban planning one. I barely check that section.
There are so few posts in that board that even a few posts is a large percent. Most of your posts are in General Highway Talk which has a huge amount of posts.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

It's your percentage of that board's activity, not your activity. Urban planning and design is a fairly new board, so there's not as many old threads and posts driving down your share.

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2021, 10:59:25 PM

It's your percentage of that board's activity, not your activity. Urban planning and design is a fairly new board, so there's not as many old threads and posts driving down your share.
Ok that makes sense. I thought the most popular sections by activity is how much of my total time online on the forum is spent browsing a specific section.

tolbs17

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 29, 2021, 11:04:31 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2021, 10:59:25 PM

Ok that makes sense. I thought the most popular sections by activity is how much of my total time online on the forum is spent browsing a specific section.
You can see that number by hovering over the pie charts (although it's posts, not time spent browsing)

Scott5114

Can't be done without writing code. File a feature request at SMF or write an extension.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 30, 2021, 12:50:50 AM
Can't be done without writing code. File a feature request at SMF or write an extension.

Yep. Hardwired in the SMF code, not fiddling with it.

jakeroot

At the risk of going off-topic, since the topic question has been answered:

I would love to know who has the highest percentage of posts in a particular board.

For example: I account for 10.37% of all posts in the Northwest board (849 posts of 8190 total posts).

Scott5114

I have 12.17% in ████████████████████████.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2021, 03:12:57 AM

I would love to know who has the highest percentage of posts in a particular board.

For example: I account for 10.37% of all posts in the Northwest board (849 posts of 8190 total posts).

Cpzilliacus has 15.85% in the Mid-Atlantic board. That's going to be tough to beat.

Besides our respective regional boards, the easiest boards to run up a large share are the new ones like Travel and Urban Planning. Kernals12 has 9.01% in Urban Planning, for example (no surprises there...).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on March 30, 2021, 08:00:27 AM

Cpzilliacus has 15.85% in the Mid-Atlantic board. That's going to be tough to beat.

Besides our respective regional boards, the easiest boards to run up a large share are the new ones like Travel and Urban Planning. Kernals12 has 9.01% in Urban Planning, for example (no surprises there...).

Kernal12 is the FritzOwl of the Urban Planning board. 

hbelkins

It still amazes me that people care so much about their statistics on this forum. I don't know my post counts or percentages, nor do I care.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2021, 08:06:52 AM

Speaking of FritzOwl, he's 4.41% of the Fictional section.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on March 30, 2021, 08:39:24 PM
It still amazes me that people care so much about their statistics on this forum. I don't know my post counts or percentages, nor do I care.

We're all into minor details and shit. That you're actually amazed/surprised by our interest in stats and stuff is startling to is more surprising to me than you being surprised by our interest in said stats.

Oh, by the way, amongst active users: you have the most posts of anyone.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2021, 08:41:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2021, 08:06:52 AM

Speaking of FritzOwl, he's 4.41% of the Fictional section.

I stand corrected; FritzOwl is the Kernals12 of the Fictional Board. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2021, 08:42:57 PM

We're all into minor details and shit. That you're actually amazed by our interest in stats and stuff is startling to me.

I thought Kphoger holds the most posts record.

Max Rockatansky

We're all into minor details and shit. That you're actually amazed/surprised by our interest in stats and stuff is startling to me.

Really I can care less about forum stats myself.  The fascination people have with forum stats is kind of surreal to me because it's not something I've really ever put thought into. 

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2021, 08:43:47 PM

We're all into minor details and shit. That you're actually amazed by our interest in stats and stuff is startling to me.

I thought Kphoger holds the most posts record.

Yeah, he does. My bad. I misread the list wrong. I was so used to Jake (agentsteel53) having the most that I just crossed right over the top user.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2021, 08:46:50 PM
Really I can care less about forum stats myself.  The fascination people have with forum stats is kind of surreal to me because it's not something I've really ever put thought into. 

The more interesting thing, at least to me, is how users compare to each other. In particular, how some users will go weeks between posts, and yet others could post dozens of times per day. And then looking at some of those more active users: are they posting a bunch of fluff, or actual useful content? Minor stuff. Looking at percent-of-posts in a board, it's insane to me to think I personally account for 1-in-10 posts in the Northwest board. That alone isn't a helpful stat, but it puts into perspective for me how I spend my time on here.

JoePCool14

"It still amazes me that people care so much about what font a road sign is. I don't know my Series D or Series E, nor do I care."

Stats are interesting, just like road signs. Not everyone has to like both, or one or the other. Sometimes it's just cool to know.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 30, 2021, 08:50:54 PM
Then why don't you care less?

:bigass:

Need a venue to share my road stuff.  Apparently that plays out in the fact that I'm apparently one of every eight posts in the Pacific Southwest Board, go figure. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 30, 2021, 09:44:39 PM

"It still amazes me that people care so much about what font a road sign is. I don't know my Series D or Series E, nor do I care."

Regarding the signage fonts, that's something I don't get either.  Some people really get enraged over things like font type face or where a sign is nominally out of MUTCD spec.  In terms of signage the weird something is the more interesting I tend to find it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.