News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin 4 lane wish list

Started by peterj920, April 01, 2022, 04:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrose

Growing up, my wish was always WI 11 / US 14 from I-90/39 to I-43. That was the preferred Janesville-Milwaukee route for us then. Had always hoped they'd do more of 14 south of Madison as well, though that was probably a pipe dream.

skluth

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 04, 2022, 02:26:27 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on April 03, 2022, 07:47:26 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 02, 2022, 08:08:20 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on April 01, 2022, 06:08:05 PM
WI 11 Just west of Monroe for a couple of miles. (It may not be vitally needed I just don't like how quickly the bypass goes from a freeway to 2 lane just west of town)

Ditto on this one. And while they're at it, remove the trail crossing and bump the speed limit on the 4-lane section to 65.
I would add 4-laning on Hwy 11/81 east through Juda to their junction just outside Brodhead, and an interchange at the junction. That stretch is plenty busy, and WisDOT already has most of the ROW already purchased. The 11/81 intersection is also notorious for nasty wrecks.

A south-to-east (2-lane) bypass of Brodhead is one of the few remaining missing pieces to make Hwy 11 non-stop between Janesville and Hwy 61/151 outside Dubuque. Traffic doesn't justify it currently, but the Brodhead to Orfordville section is the only one between Janesville and Monroe not built to current primary 2-lane highway standards.

I understand that WisDOT had a fantasy about a 4-lane Hwy 11 west of I-39/90 that would carry both Beloit and Janesville traffic west to Monroe, but that'll never happen in my lifetime. East of the split, Hwys 11 and 81 both carry decent levels of traffic but neither are dominant.

It will be hard to pull significant traffic off Hwy 81, and Hwy 11 can't justify 4-laning on it's own. I-94 to US-151 is the dominant Iowa-bound route from Milwaukee, and there's no interest in a second southern route.

I believe that about the 11/81 intersection. It's definitely an awkward one that could lend itself well to a bridge.

I also agree about a 2-lane Brodhead bypass. For some reason, that always feels like a long slog through there. 25 MPH is ridiculous, but I guess that's typical small town speed limits.
This is something I think Europe does better than the US. Many small towns in Europe are more difficult to drive through because they predate the auto, sometimes by centuries. This means smaller cities, even under 5000 people, often have bypasses around their centers. It something more American towns should consider.

The Ghostbuster

There was a proposal to expand US 14/STH 11 to four lanes between Interstate 39/90 in Janesville and Interstate 43 near Darien. It was suspended in 2014. Other four lane suspensions include: US 8 (St. Croix Falls to Cameron), US 14 (STH 138 to STH 92, new alignment) and STH 38 (Oakwood Rd. to CTH K). Bypasses suspended include: US 12 (Fort Atkinson) and new US 12 alignment (Whitewater to Elkhorn), US 14/61 (Viroqua and Westby), and STH 81/213 (Beloit). There was also a proposed new freeway alignment of US 10 south of the existing alignment between Interstate 39 and Amherst that was canceled due to lack of public support, and projects that it wouldn't divert much traffic from the existing US 10 alignment between Amherst and Stevens Point. Those are all the ones off the top of my head.

dvferyance

Quote from: mrose on April 04, 2022, 02:56:35 PM
Growing up, my wish was always WI 11 / US 14 from I-90/39 to I-43. That was the preferred Janesville-Milwaukee route for us then. Had always hoped they'd do more of 14 south of Madison as well, though that was probably a pipe dream.
I know the people of Janesville will not like to hear this back in the 70's when 43 was planned wisdot chose Beloit over Janesville to be it's destination. At least Janesville eventually got a 4 lane WI-26 all the way up to Johnson Creek. That is probably the better way to Milwaukee now.

mgk920

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 04, 2022, 02:26:27 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on April 03, 2022, 07:47:26 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 02, 2022, 08:08:20 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on April 01, 2022, 06:08:05 PM
WI 11 Just west of Monroe for a couple of miles. (It may not be vitally needed I just don't like how quickly the bypass goes from a freeway to 2 lane just west of town)

Ditto on this one. And while they're at it, remove the trail crossing and bump the speed limit on the 4-lane section to 65.
I would add 4-laning on Hwy 11/81 east through Juda to their junction just outside Brodhead, and an interchange at the junction. That stretch is plenty busy, and WisDOT already has most of the ROW already purchased. The 11/81 intersection is also notorious for nasty wrecks.

A south-to-east (2-lane) bypass of Brodhead is one of the few remaining missing pieces to make Hwy 11 non-stop between Janesville and Hwy 61/151 outside Dubuque. Traffic doesn't justify it currently, but the Brodhead to Orfordville section is the only one between Janesville and Monroe not built to current primary 2-lane highway standards.

I understand that WisDOT had a fantasy about a 4-lane Hwy 11 west of I-39/90 that would carry both Beloit and Janesville traffic west to Monroe, but that'll never happen in my lifetime. East of the split, Hwys 11 and 81 both carry decent levels of traffic but neither are dominant.

It will be hard to pull significant traffic off Hwy 81, and Hwy 11 can't justify 4-laning on it's own. I-94 to US-151 is the dominant Iowa-bound route from Milwaukee, and there's no interest in a second southern route.

I believe that about the 11/81 intersection. It's definitely an awkward one that could lend itself well to a bridge.

I also agree about a 2-lane Brodhead bypass. For some reason, that always feels like a long slog through there. 25 MPH is ridiculous, but I guess that's typical small town speed limits.

Remember that what is now I-43 was originally planned (as in 1950s or early 1960s) to run east-west midway between Beloit and Janesville and feed into WI 11 at that ghost interchange on the south side of Brodhead, WI, with the four lanes then continuing westward to end at US 61/151 near the Mississippi River crossing into Dubuque, IA.

Mike

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 05, 2022, 07:02:11 AM
What ghost interchange?

I assuming he means where WI-11 and WI-81 intersect currently.

The Ghostbuster

I've never heard of the once-proposed Interstate 43 (then STH 15) connection to Janesville going all the way to Broadhead. I always thought it, like the current 43 terminus, would have ended at Interstate 39/90. It doesn't make since for it to have gone any further west, at least not to me.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 05, 2022, 10:48:58 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on April 05, 2022, 07:02:11 AM
What ghost interchange?

I assuming he means where WI-11 and WI-81 intersect currently.

Calling it a ghost interchange is generous.  There's most of the r/w for a diamond interchange at this junction, but it's a little hard to pick out from an aerial photo.  It shows up better on a parcel map.  (I generally expect to see some evidence of construction when I hear the term "ghost interchange". ;) )

I think Wisconsin will be done building rural four laners for a while.  The focus of the next 15 years will be incremental upgrades for some sections of rural expressway to full access controlled freeway.  And naturally, the maintenance and expansion of existing facilities.  People have identified the handful of outliers where new construction may go.

Talking about four lanes near Waunakee or in Lake Country, those are gonna be suburban arterial facilities when they eventually come around.

Certainly many of the tendrils feeding Madison come to my mind as well.

I think about US 45 between New London and Clintonville as that WI 15 corridor gets done.  I could certainly see an interchange going in at US 45 & WI 15 at the very least.

There is a dark horse four lane corridor to consider as urban sprawl from the Twin Cities continues spilling over the St. Croix River.  That would be WI 65 between River Falls and New Richmond.  Look for that study as 2030 nears.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

WI 11 at Airport Rd on the south edge of Bodhead, where WI 11 curves sharply to the north to enter the city.  the oddly wide and flaring ROW there was one of the first things that I noticed when I first drove it years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/xogmsb5FN5SCo4T78

A four lane highway was proposed to continue due eastward from there to run between Beloit and Janesville and then feed into the now I-43 (then WI 15) freeway at the curve on the northwest edge of Clinton, instead of the WI 15 freeway curving southwest to Beloit from there.  It would have been a continuation from the Monroe bypass.

The Ghostbuster

There obviously won't be any new 4-lane highways between Monroe and Janesville/Beloit, although I would like it if the exits on the Monroe Bypass were numbered (using STH 11's mileage, the four exits, from west-to-east, would probably be numbered 54, 55, 56, and 57).

mgk920

I Can envision WI 11 eventually being rerouted to continue due eastward from Airport Rd as a two lane road on an upgradable four lane ROW and then 'S' curving northward to reconnect with the current WI 11 highway east of town as a useful bypass of Brodhead.

Mike

thspfc

Quote from: dvferyance on April 04, 2022, 08:28:56 PM
Quote from: mrose on April 04, 2022, 02:56:35 PM
I know the people of Janesville will not like to hear this back in the 70's when 43 was planned wisdot chose Beloit over Janesville to be it's destination. At least Janesville eventually got a 4 lane WI-26 all the way up to Johnson Creek. That is probably the better way to Milwaukee now.
It's not necessary now because Janesville isn't growing by much, and there's not a ton traffic of there to begin with. But WISDOT certainly could have built a full loop along WI-11 and US-14. The only portions of such a loop that aren't occupied by surface-level highways are the west/northwest and south/southeast portions. Had that been built, it would have been more logical to upgrade US-14 out to I-43 and WI-11 out to Monroe. Perhaps I-43 would have gone to Janesville along present-day US-14.

JREwing78

Quote from: thspfc on April 08, 2022, 12:44:13 PM
It's not necessary now because Janesville isn't growing by much, and there's not a ton traffic of there to begin with. But WISDOT certainly could have built a full loop along WI-11 and US-14. The only portions of such a loop that aren't occupied by surface-level highways are the west/northwest and south/southeast portions. Had that been built, it would have been more logical to upgrade US-14 out to I-43 and WI-11 out to Monroe. Perhaps I-43 would have gone to Janesville along present-day US-14.

The portion of the Janesville "beltline" (for lack of a better term) on Janesville's west side, north of current Hwy 11/CTY WC to US 14, reportedly was unpopular with the folks in the Town of Janesville. GM shutting down in 2009 didn't exactly encourage more highway building there either. Though, for a town that lost a major GM plant, Janesville's economy is performing well. Population is up by 2,000 residents since 2010, and by 6,000 residents since 2000. The housing market here is really tight, and prices reflect that. The major limitation on population right now isn't jobs - it's housing.

In theory, Janesville folks have an all-freeway connection to Milwaukee - they just have to head south to Beloit first. In practice I doubt most Janesville folks will opt for that over following US-14 to Darien, or Hwy 26 to Johnson Creek. Judging by the increase in traffic since the 4-lane Hwy 26 opened, it appears Milwaukee-bound folks are choosing that route more.

WisDOT still owns the right of way for a relocated 4-lane US-14 north of Hwy 92 in Brooklyn. There was chatter about building that out so that they wouldn't have to modify the existing US-14, and it would've been much safer. The traffic between Evansville and Oregon is heavy for a 2-lane and certainly merits it. I would expect it to get built eventually as Madison continues to grow, but I wouldn't advise holding your breath waiting for it.

peterj920

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 09, 2022, 02:34:41 PM
Quote from: thspfc on April 08, 2022, 12:44:13 PM

US 14/Wis 11 was added as a 2030 backbone route meaning that WISDOT does intend to make it 4 lanes as all backbone routes are 4 lane expressways. The only other addition from the 2020 backbone system is US 45 between I-41 and US 10 which is already a freeway.

The portion of the Janesville "beltline" (for lack of a better term) on Janesville's west side, north of current Hwy 11/CTY WC to US 14, reportedly was unpopular with the folks in the Town of Janesville. GM shutting down in 2009 didn't exactly encourage more highway building there either. Though, for a town that lost a major GM plant, Janesville's economy is performing well. Population is up by 2,000 residents since 2010, and by 6,000 residents since 2000. The housing market here is really tight, and prices reflect that. The major limitation on population right now isn't jobs - it's housing.

In theory, Janesville folks have an all-freeway connection to Milwaukee - they just have to head south to Beloit first. In practice I doubt most Janesville folks will opt for that over following US-14 to Darien, or Hwy 26 to Johnson Creek. Judging by the increase in traffic since the 4-lane Hwy 26 opened, it appears Milwaukee-bound folks are choosing that route more.

WisDOT still owns the right of way for a relocated 4-lane US-14 north of Hwy 92 in Brooklyn. There was chatter about building that out so that they wouldn't have to modify the existing US-14, and it would've been much safer. The traffic between Evansville and Oregon is heavy for a 2-lane and certainly merits it. I would expect it to get built eventually as Madison continues to grow, but I wouldn't advise holding your breath waiting for it.

SEWIGuy

The only issue I see regarding making US-14/WI-11 into a four lane expressway is that there are no active studies that I can tell looking into this as a possibility. 

dvferyance

How about a wish list for existing 4 lanes sections to get upgraded to a freeway?

mgk920

Quote from: dvferyance on April 11, 2022, 04:41:37 PM
How about a wish list for existing 4 lanes sections to get upgraded to a freeway?

US 10 from Fremont, WI all the way west to I-39?

Mike

The Ghostbuster

US 10 from Fremont through Amherst Junction could probably be converted to a freeway. Between the Lake Dr. interchange near Amherst Junction and the CTH-J interchange, the roadway would have to be shifted slightly to the north to avoid the railroad tracks. West of the CTH-J interchange, a freeway conversion would be trickier. There are a bunch of businesses east of the Interstate 39/US 51 interchange that would need to be demolished or relocated. A bypass to the north or south would impact homes, a northern one would also impact the Stevens Point Municipal Airport. It looks like a freeway conversion could only be done to CTH-J, any further would like result in too many impacts, not to mention plenty of local opposition.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 11, 2022, 10:43:10 PM
US 10 from Fremont through Amherst Junction could probably be converted to a freeway. Between the Lake Dr. interchange near Amherst Junction and the CTH-J interchange, the roadway would have to be shifted slightly to the north to avoid the railroad tracks. West of the CTH-J interchange, a freeway conversion would be trickier. There are a bunch of businesses east of the Interstate 39/US 51 interchange that would need to be demolished or relocated. A bypass to the north or south would impact homes, a northern one would also impact the Stevens Point Municipal Airport. It looks like a freeway conversion could only be done to CTH-J, any further would like result in too many impacts, not to mention plenty of local opposition.

They mapped out a preferred relocation of US-10 south of its current alignment.

https://www.co.portage.wi.us/home/showpublisheddocument/12070/636428161429470000

But scrapped it a few years ago.  I doubt it happens anytime soon.

https://stevenspoint.news/2016/09/01/wisdot-dropping-plans-to-complete-highway-10-bypass-project/

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 12, 2022, 08:39:45 AM

https://www.co.portage.wi.us/home/showpublisheddocument/12070/636428161429470000

https://stevenspoint.news/2016/09/01/wisdot-dropping-plans-to-complete-highway-10-bypass-project/

NIMBYs....     :meh:

I wouldn't be surprised if the highway planners come back with a 'Texas style' freeway on the current ROW there at some point within my remaining lifetime.  US 10 between I-39 and I-41 is to important and busy not to.

East of there, I can see a new eastbound side of the highway being built between the existing roadways on the wide median section between Custer and WI 161, with the existing EB roadway becoming a frontage-local access road for the businesses and crossroads (especially that quarry) that are currently along US 10.  That and a few crossroad bridges that also clear the railroad (ie, at Portage County 'K') and the freeway is complete.

Mike

tchafe1978

US 18/151 from Dodgeville to Verona. I know the plans are already in place for this stretch to be converted to freeway, I just wish it would hurry up and get done already. Same with the stetch of US 151 from Columbus to Waupun.

I-39

1. WIS 29 across the state, but there's not enough traffic to justify the expense right now. Though I do think they should go ahead and covert it from the Brown County line to Shawano.

2. US 12 between the Beltline and the Dells.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 12, 2022, 10:06:35 AM

US 18/151 from Dodgeville to Verona. I know the plans are already in place for this stretch to be converted to freeway, I just wish it would hurry up and get done already. Same with the stetch of US 151 from Columbus to Waupun.

In particular, the segment between Mt. Horeb and Verona would freeway convert relatively cheaply.  No new bridges really needed, just some frontage road action.  Commuter traffic makes it increasingly unsafe to have cross traffic on this facility.

I'd also like to see freeway conversion on US 51 between Merrill and Tomahawk.  Again it's a safety situation.  Here's this corridor 230 (or whatever) miles long coming up from Illinois and it's all controlled access freeway except for this 9 mile segment in Lincoln County.  The expectation of no cross traffic after all that distance lulls drivers into not looking out for turning traffic.  Combined with the peak volumes of weekend warriors, I think the state is easily justified in proceeding with freeway conversion even if the average traffic counts and crash statistics aren't quite raising alarm bells.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on April 12, 2022, 09:24:05 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 12, 2022, 08:39:45 AM

NIMBYs....     :meh:

I wouldn't be surprised if the highway planners come back with a 'Texas style' freeway on the current ROW there at some point within my remaining lifetime.  US 10 between I-39 and I-41 is to important and busy not to.

East of there, I can see a new eastbound side of the highway being built between the existing roadways on the wide median section between Custer and WI 161, with the existing EB roadway becoming a frontage-local access road for the businesses and crossroads (especially that quarry) that are currently along US 10.  That and a few crossroad bridges that also clear the railroad (ie, at Portage County 'K') and the freeway is complete.

Mike

Yeah I just don't see it.  The distance between Highway J and I-39 is four miles.  Its inconvenient to go through that stretch, but we are only talking about a couple minutes difference here.

I think the era of Wisconsin building a bunch of "new terrain" freeways like this is likely over.  Or at least it is on a long pause.  I think WIDOT is rightly focusing on major projects to increase capacity with I-43 just north of Milwaukee and I-41 between Appleton and Green Bay as examples.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.