News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Downstate Illinois Notes

Started by 3467, September 26, 2022, 08:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on November 21, 2022, 08:13:28 PM
It's from the North junction of 135 south about 5 miles. The remaining 6 starts next Spring. They are behind right now but as you point out that was a dangerously substandard stretch of road and they had to completely dig down and replace some sections.

Thanks, I found it.

Adding extended shoulders, sealing the cracks and then a fresh new layer of asphalt.

The base was already 30+ years old and not being replaced, so essentially this is a 10-12 year stop gap until more US-67 funding can be had.

Guaranteed the rip-rap will start cracking back through by 2030.

But its definitely an improvement over what was there before!

It's strange you see the cracks sealed. But after they cold milled the road.And they appear to be putting at least one extra layer on.
They are doing the same South of Monmouth . The original 4 lane there has lasted since 1992.

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on November 23, 2022, 09:09:55 AM
It's strange you see the cracks sealed. But after they cold milled the road.And they appear to be putting at least one extra layer on.
They are doing the same South of Monmouth . The original 4 lane there has lasted since 1992.

I didn't see it in the pictures, typically after the joints are replaced and the rebar fixed and the concrete is poured over them, they perform a cold mill and prior to actual paving they put down a polymer (usually called "liquid road") based sealer that spreads and looks like asphalt, but due to its increased liquidity and ability to drop down into cracks, it provides a moisture wall.  This maybe the "extra" layer you see.

My issue is that while the polymer layer is effective, the old base is still subject to movement from traffic. The vibration and load isn't pushed out throughout the original pour segment, it is much smaller. Eventually the movement will rise upward, break the polymer and move up to the surface asphalt which is way more pliable than the original concrete.

I remember IDOT did something similar on I-55 where clearly there was a construction defect on a section built in the 1970's where the contractor did not work the rebar correctly. Over and over and over each pour segment had the same form of crack appear. Finally when they came through to repave it, they did the same thing, milled it, sealed it and put a new asphalt layer.  Sure enough, about 5 or 6 years later, I could see that same crack starting to appear on the surface. The movement around that crack was already starting to push its way up to the top.  Shortly after IDOT did a tar seal on the sections where the crack was worse. I haven't driven it lately to see if they finally replaced the whole thing, or simply did one of those scrape and replace jobs.

Concrete highways are very expensive, but they last a long time. Asphalt is just not as durable, but it is significantly much cheaper to apply. So what to do, once every 30-40 years? Or mill and resurface every 12-15 years?

I have had several discussions with road engineers about the choices made between cost, budgets and time extensions to highways. It's seems to always be on the agenda at engineering conferences.

Perhaps @Rick Powell can weigh in here as he did this at IDOT and is a consultant now.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on November 23, 2022, 11:25:35 PM
Perhaps @Rick Powell can weigh in here as he did this at IDOT and is a consultant now.

The choice between asphalt and concrete for reconstruction or new construction at IDOT comes down to a life cycle cost analysis using current material prices and estimated maintenance cycles. Heavy truck traffic and heavy overall traffic will usually tilt the analysis more toward concrete. If both options are reasonably close, it goes to a committee who will discuss the pros and cons and make a choice. Constructability factors are sometimes a consideration in the close calls.

Revive 755

I-255 is continuing to loose the brown color theme.  The eastbound arch for the JB Bridge is now a some sort of silver-gray color.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 31, 2022, 10:49:43 PM
I-255 is continuing to loose the brown color theme.  The eastbound arch for the JB Bridge is now a some sort of silver-gray color.

I think the JB Bridge may be MoDOT maintained. That said, I wasn't upset with the lighting replacement about 10 years ago, the steel light poles were looking a bit rough. That said, hoping they do keep the gantries and overpasses as brown, as this does create a unique look.

edwaleni

Quote from: ChiMilNet on January 01, 2023, 01:23:54 PM

I think the JB Bridge may be MoDOT maintained. That said, I wasn't upset with the lighting replacement about 10 years ago, the steel light poles were looking a bit rough. That said, hoping they do keep the gantries and overpasses as brown, as this does create a unique look.

MoDOT maintains them and they are registered under Missouri in the Federal Bridge Register.

It was a MoDOT inspector who found the 6 inch crack in one of the arch cross beams a few years ago.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: edwaleni on January 01, 2023, 09:27:38 PM

MoDOT maintains them and they are registered under Missouri in the Federal Bridge Register.

It was a MoDOT inspector who found the 6 inch crack in one of the arch cross beams a few years ago.

Thanks for confirming. If memory serves me correctly, I believe that IDOT does maintain quite a few of the bridges in the area, including JFK, McKinley, Chain of Rocks, and the Alton Bridge, correct?

edwaleni

Quote from: ChiMilNet on January 02, 2023, 11:49:26 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on January 01, 2023, 09:27:38 PM

Thanks for confirming. If memory serves me correctly, I believe that IDOT does maintain quite a few of the bridges in the area, including JFK, McKinley, Chain of Rocks, and the Alton Bridge, correct?

I think you meant the "MLK" not the JFK. It's a mix that has been updated through the years via inter-governmental agreements. IDOT was the primary for the Musial/Veterans but Missouri paid a share. 

Bridges like the McKinley have had a tortured history. Originally owned by the city of Venice, Illinois, it was run as a toll bridge (like the old Chain of Rocks was) and got wrapped up in corruption and decline. IDOT tried to give the city a grant to fix the bridge but couldn't because the city was so far behind in paying their state taxes.

The City of St Louis didn't have such restrictions and foreclosed on it and both them and Illinois cut a deal to take it over. It's a joint deal today.

There used to be a series of municipally owned toll bridges crossing the Mississippi River at one time and before the Federal Highway Act in 1956, these bridges made a killing in toll collection for people who either traveled or worked in St Louis but lived in Illinois. After the Poplar Street Bridge opened (I-70/I-64) and the new Chain of Rocks Bridge (I-270) in the early 1970's, these bridges started to decline. Just before their decline started, they became targets of political corruption due to the amount of local revenue they generated above the cost of the bonds. By the time these cities realized they had a bond based anchor on their finances, it was too late to sell them or re-finance them. When the tolls declined, they had to use local sales taxes to keep up the bond payments. Venice hung on until foreclosure. Madison filed suit several times to delay until the bond holders were bought out.

skluth

Quote from: edwaleni on January 02, 2023, 07:45:13 PM
Bridges like the McKinley have had a tortured history. Originally owned by the city of Venice, Illinois, it was run as a toll bridge (like the old Chain of Rocks was) and got wrapped up in corruption and decline. IDOT tried to give the city a grant to fix the bridge but couldn't because the city was so far behind in paying their state taxes.

The City of St Louis didn't have such restrictions and foreclosed on it and both them and Illinois cut a deal to take it over. It's a joint deal today.

There used to be a series of municipally owned toll bridges crossing the Mississippi River at one time and before the Federal Highway Act in 1956, these bridges made a killing in toll collection for people who either traveled or worked in St Louis but lived in Illinois. After the Poplar Street Bridge opened (I-70/I-64) and the new Chain of Rocks Bridge (I-270) in the early 1970's, these bridges started to decline. Just before their decline started, they became targets of political corruption due to the amount of local revenue they generated above the cost of the bonds. By the time these cities realized they had a bond based anchor on their finances, it was too late to sell them or re-finance them. When the tolls declined, they had to use local sales taxes to keep up the bond payments. Venice hung on until foreclosure. Madison filed suit several times to delay until the bond holders were bought out.

I remember the old McKinley Bridge. Crossing it back circa 1990 was downright scary. There were literal holes in the bridge deck where if you got out of the car you could look through and see the river. I never crossed it again until after Venice lost control of the bridge and it was repaired.

edwaleni

Quote from: skluth on January 03, 2023, 12:05:56 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on January 02, 2023, 07:45:13 PM

I remember the old McKinley Bridge. Crossing it back circa 1990 was downright scary. There were literal holes in the bridge deck where if you got out of the car you could look through and see the river. I never crossed it again until after Venice lost control of the bridge and it was repaired.

The last train to use the McKinley was in 2002. Since it also supported rail at the time, it was the line that allowed newsprint to be delivered to the St Louis Globe Democrat via the Tucker Street Viaduct. The Tucker Street Viaduct was at one time an underground train station for the Illinois Terminal, and there was a small freight yard in there as well. When the Musial/Veterans Bridge was built, MoDOT and the City of St Louis reconfigured Tucker Street and filled in the entrance. But if you take an elevator downstairs in the Globe Building, you can see where the old train station used to be. It's just a dark cave with supporting steel beams now.

The line between the McKinley and the viaduct was spun off to the trails system. You can still see the electric rail catenary poles right up to the bridge on the Missouri side.

Hard to believe that several thousand commuters crossed that bridge daily in railcars or the Granite City railbuses.

Since the road shared the bridge with the railroad, a traffic light and a flasher would come on to stop cars so the trains could pass through.

If you want to see a VHS quality video of the last train over the bridge, it can be found on YouTube.

Revive 755

Quote from: edwaleni on January 03, 2023, 06:22:32 PM
The last train to use the McKinley was in 2002. Since it also supported rail at the time, it was the line that allowed newsprint to be delivered to the St Louis Globe Democrat via the Tucker Street Viaduct.

I think it was earlier than 2002.  Bridgehunter has rail service being discontinued across the McKinley in 1977, and Google Earth's imagery for 2002 makes it appear the tracks were blocked from the main spans of the McKinley Bridge.  The viaduct that crosses I-70 in Missouri is separate from the McKinley Bridge.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 03, 2023, 10:01:10 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on January 03, 2023, 06:22:32 PM
The last train to use the McKinley was in 2002. Since it also supported rail at the time, it was the line that allowed newsprint to be delivered to the St Louis Globe Democrat via the Tucker Street Viaduct.

I think it was earlier than 2002.  Bridgehunter has rail service being discontinued across the McKinley in 1977, and Google Earth's imagery for 2002 makes it appear the tracks were blocked from the main spans of the McKinley Bridge.  The viaduct that crosses I-70 in Missouri is separate from the McKinley Bridge.

You are correct. IDOT closed the bridge to all traffic in 1994. I must have been thinking when IDOT finally got title to it.

RSSM formally abandoned their rail rights in 2005.

QuoteOn January 12, 2005, Railroad Switching Service of Missouri, Inc. (RSSM), a Class III rail carrier, filed with the Surface Transportation Board a petition under 49 U.S.C. 10502 for exemption from the provisions of 49 U.S.C. 10903 to abandon its entire line of railroad extending from a point of connection with Norfolk Southern Railway Company (NS) at or near Broad Street (milepost 0) to terminus at the publishing facility of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (milepost 1.89), a distance of 1.89 miles, in St. Louis, St. Louis County, MO. The line traverses United States Postal Service Zip Code 63101 and includes the station of St. Louis.

The line does not contain federally granted rights-of-way. Any documentation in RSSM's possession will be made available promptly to those requesting it.

SGwithADD

skluth

Quote from: SGwithADD on January 06, 2023, 05:32:14 PM
An update on the I-57/I-74 interchange replacement project in Champaign: https://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/roadwork/due-date-for-i-57-i-74-overhaul-2025/article_ec54f82e-b54d-5ee9-80e7-8f3f7789ea20.html

Quote from: article
The current clover leaf construction project involves constructing two Chicago-style flyover ramps to improve safety and traffic flow efficiency for travelers: eastbound I-74 to northbound I-57 and westbound I-74 to southbound I-57. The work involves most of the bridges and embankments.

Is Chicago-style the Illinois term for turbine ramp?

ilpt4u

Quote from: skluth on January 07, 2023, 11:11:39 AM
An update on the I-57/I-74 interchange replacement project in Champaign: https://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/roadwork/due-date-for-i-57-i-74-overhaul-2025/article_ec54f82e-b54d-5ee9-80e7-8f3f7789ea20.html

The current clover leaf construction project involves constructing two Chicago-style flyover ramps to improve safety and traffic flow efficiency for travelers: eastbound I-74 to northbound I-57 and westbound I-74 to southbound I-57. The work involves most of the bridges and embankments.

Considering where most of the are in Illinois, yes.

I'd like to know how IDOT determined those two ramps but not NB 57->WB 74, but oh well

hobsini2

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 07, 2023, 01:23:15 PM

I'd like to know how IDOT determined those two ramps but not NB 57->WB 74, but oh well
The ones I expected were 74 WB to 57 SB and 57 SB to 74 EB.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

captkirk_4

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 07, 2023, 01:31:49 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on January 07, 2023, 01:23:15 PM

I’d like to know how IDOT determined those two ramps but not NB 57->WB 74, but oh well
The ones I expected were 74 WB to 57 SB and 57 SB to 74 EB.

They counted traffic and the highest flow was from 74 WB to 57 SB. Largely flow from the big shopping district on the north side of Champaign out to the subdivisions in Southwest Champaign. A lot of local traffic uses this route.

I have been seeing the State Police photo enforced radar ticket van quite a bit recently in the construction zone. About every two or three weeks it is sitting there in the morning watching NB 57 traffic. I no longer drive that way to work because I don't know how accurate that thing is, even though i set my cruise to 43 there are other vehicles flying by and who knows if they just snap a picture and send tickets to every vehicle in the photo claiming they are all going the speed the fast one is. It's often there around 8am on Fridays. Don't really drive 74 much so can't say if they station it there too but I've yet to see in on the Southbound side. We had a fatal accident northbound in the zone a few months back where someone didn't bother to slow down and shortly after I began seeing this van.

captkirk_4

Speaking of Champaign, is anyone familiar with how ridiculously narrow Prospect Avenue is between Bradley and Kirby? I have a Sentra and it seems to just barely fit in the lane, how can a Tractor Trailer safely use this road? If they are not going to widen it due to wrecking too much property they ought to just turn it into a 3 lane road with one wide lane in each direction and a middle lane for turning. It would be a lot less harrowing. When was this built? It just doesn't seem up to modern road dimensions.

invincor

I'm planning a long road trip vacation in the spring that will take me through downstate Illinois.  In the course of the planning I've found a puzzle that I can't quite solve.  I think it's probably something mind-numbingly obvious, but can someone here please tell me what I'm missing? 

I may be going straight south across the length of the state, right down the middle, entering from Wisconsin and exiting on I-24 towards Kentucky.  In the middle, at Bloomington-Normal, I-39 ends and I need to choose between either continuing due south on US-51 or veering southeast along I-74 until it connects to I-57 and I start moving southwest, until it finally straightens out and goes due south again. 

Google maps and other mapping programs advise I use I-74 and I-57, but that routing sends me about 35-40 miles eastward off the straight-south-line that would be US 51, and then of course I'd head back almost that far again to the point where they get within 8 miles of each other around Odin, IL. 

The programs say that taking the interstates only 17 miles longer than using US 51 (and a bit of 50) would be, and given they're interstates and US 51 is 2-lane for about half that section, that's the better way to go.  That seems like far too little, distance-wise, to me.  What am I missing? 

Rick Powell

Quote from: invincor on January 09, 2023, 11:30:38 AM
I'm planning a long road trip vacation in the spring that will take me through downstate Illinois.  In the course of the planning I've found a puzzle that I can't quite solve.  I think it's probably something mind-numbingly obvious, but can someone here please tell me what I'm missing? 

I may be going straight south across the length of the state, right down the middle, entering from Wisconsin and exiting on I-24 towards Kentucky.  In the middle, at Bloomington-Normal, I-39 ends and I need to choose between either continuing due south on US-51 or veering southeast along I-74 until it connects to I-57 and I start moving southwest, until it finally straightens out and goes due south again. 

Google maps and other mapping programs advise I use I-74 and I-57, but that routing sends me about 35-40 miles eastward off the straight-south-line that would be US 51, and then of course I'd head back almost that far again to the point where they get within 8 miles of each other around Odin, IL. 

The programs say that taking the interstates only 17 miles longer than using US 51 (and a bit of 50) would be, and given they're interstates and US 51 is 2-lane for about half that section, that's the better way to go.  That seems like far too little, distance-wise, to me.  What am I missing? 

It's been awhile since I went the whole length, but there are stoplights in Bloomington, Clinton, Forsythe (a bunch of them just before you get to I-72), Pana, Vandalia and a 4-way stop in Sandoval, and even in the 4-lane sections there are a lot of reduced speed zones going through all the little towns, Vandalia by itself will probably slow you down 5 minutes or more from what you could do on an interstate at 70 mph. There is enough truck and agricultural traffic that it may slow you down in the 2-lane sections where you are unable to pass.

ilpt4u

Living near Carbondale, I prefer to use US 51 up to Bloomington if I'm headed toward Rockford or Madison (or I really, really want some Spotted Cow and I can buy in Beloit  :colorful:)

If I lived right on the 57 corridor between Marion and Mt Vernon, I-57 is faster. It is arguable if you live on the 51 corridor. I live a bit further west on the IL 127 corridor. Google's 3 suggested routes for me include the 57/74 combo, 51 the whole way, and using 127 to get to I-55 and then north

If you are continuing down 24 towards Paducah and Nashville TN, 74->57 is going to be your fastest route. 51 is more fun to drive, imho. 57 between Kankakee and Mt Vernon is a boring slog. And until the 6-laning project is done between Mt Vernon and Marion/I-24, 57 is a truck-heavy slog on the current 4-lane segments

Crash_It

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 09, 2023, 11:41:09 AM

It's been awhile since I went the whole length, but there are stoplights in Bloomington, Clinton, Forsythe (a bunch of them just before you get to I-72), Pana, Vandalia and a 4-way stop in Sandoval, and even in the 4-lane sections there are a lot of reduced speed zones going through all the little towns, Vandalia by itself will probably slow you down 5 minutes or more from what you could do on an interstate at 70 mph. There is enough truck and agricultural traffic that it may slow you down in the 2-lane sections where you are unable to pass.

I've had no issues with any of this when I drove 51.

SEWIGuy

I have driven that route about a dozen times, and I-39 to I-74 to I-57 is generally the fastest in my experience.

invincor

Thanks for all the replies so far, everyone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.