News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Strange place for a billboard

Started by roadman65, October 08, 2022, 11:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

What would happen if a state passed a law prohibiting voiding where prohibited?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2022, 09:51:11 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on October 16, 2022, 09:32:39 PM
It's like being stuck inside a microwave oven.

*shudder*  Yeah, I never want to experience that again.
Personal experience?

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 17, 2022, 07:54:23 PM
Then they would be ripping off Section 7.8(b) of the Alanland penal code.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

JoePCool14

Well the void where prohibited provision would be void where prohibited.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Offenders would be violated.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Road Hog

In Cedar Rapids or Cedar Falls or someplace that I can't find anymore, someone painted the sign for a business front of a drive-in screen that now faces a freeway.  Sacrilege!
Wouldn't it have been far, far cheaper to project the ad on the screen that is daylight-visible rather than paint the screen itself?

That's not just sacrilege, that's financial incompetence.

Scott5114

Quote from: Road Hog on October 18, 2022, 11:54:24 PM
In Cedar Rapids or Cedar Falls or someplace that I can't find anymore, someone painted the sign for a business front of a drive-in screen that now faces a freeway.  Sacrilege!
Wouldn't it have been far, far cheaper to project the ad on the screen that is daylight-visible rather than paint the screen itself?

Paint (or more likely in this case, screen-printing on something that is attached to the movie screen somehow) is a one-time, upfront cost. Running a projector costs money for electricity the whole time. And that supposes that the projection equipment is still usable and compatible with displaying a digital static image (I don't think old-timey film projectors had a "pause" button), that it wouldn't get washed out by the sun during the day, etc.

Road Hog

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2022, 01:06:18 AM

Paint (or more likely in this case, screen-printing on something that is attached to the movie screen somehow) is a one-time, upfront cost. Running a projector costs money for electricity the whole time. And that supposes that the projection equipment is still usable and compatible with displaying a digital static image (I don't think old-timey film projectors had a "pause" button), that it wouldn't get washed out by the sun during the day, etc.
Like with digital billboards, the image can alternate with other ads or even with PSAs with maximization of price points.

Drive-in light bulbs were 500 watts incandescent and the LED equivalent is 100 watts. Electricity is a drop in the bucket when compared to profit.

Scott5114

But who knows if the projection house was even there anymore (it may have been in the freeway right-of-way!). And even if it was, it's likely the projector was sold off long ago to another drive-in, or was left to rot for X decades. If getting an acceptable projector cost more than the few hundred bucks it takes to run off a giant banner...

ErmineNotyours

If the daylight containment screen ever came to be (from simple projection rather than as an electronic sign) then drive-ins might have stayed healthier for a few more years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.