What would the state capitals be if all were at the center of their states?

Started by kirbykart, November 01, 2022, 02:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on November 02, 2022, 01:15:57 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 02, 2022, 12:55:20 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on November 02, 2022, 07:55:30 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 01, 2022, 09:49:28 PM
The meaning of "center" eludes you.

The way the Interstates (and US Highways) are laid out sure makes Syracuse seem like the center of New York.
Keep in mind that NY isn't just upstate, and has an odd shape at that.  Measuring from a given city to the farthest extremes of the state (NY/QC border at Lake Champlain, NY/PA border at the corner south of Lake Erie, and Montauk Point), Binghamton is actually more central (although still not the true center) despite being near the NY/PA border!

That's largely thanks to Lake Ontario. I-81 is central south of Syracuse, and I-90 is central east of Syracuse, but north and west of Syracuse is a different story. Other than the Rochester area and adjacent lakeshore counties, very little of the would-be northwest "quadrant" formed by I-81 and I-90 is actually a populated part of of New York. Most of it is either the lake, or belongs to Ontario.

So, that's one major factor dragging the center southeastward, and downstate (where 2/3 of the population is) drags it much further. Put it all together and Oneonta makes a lot of sense... and the population center would be even further southeast than that.
The Wikipedia link in the second post puts it here, which looks right from my measurements.  Yeah, it's closer to Syracuse to Binghamton, but I mainly mentioned Binghamton to prove a point; here are the (very approximate) measurements below (longest in bold):

SyracuseBinghamtonWikipedia Coordinates
Distance to PA Corner198 miles196 miles225 miles
Distance to NY/QC/VT Tripoint194 miles238 miles178 miles
Distance to Montauk Point259 miles221 miles229 miles
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

I finished typing that post and realized I was mostly thinking about the population center, but decided it did apply to the geographical center as well. Turns out the population center is much further southeast, near Middletown (that was as of 2000; it may have moved since then).

Taking the midpoint of the two centers, as some have suggested, would indeed produce a point near Oneonta (just north of Walton, to be exact).

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on November 02, 2022, 10:36:13 PM
I finished typing that post and realized I was mostly thinking about the population center, but decided it did apply to the geographical center as well. Turns out the population center is much further southeast, near Middletown (that was as of 2000; it may have moved since then).

Taking the midpoint of the two centers, as some have suggested, would indeed produce a point near Oneonta (just north of Walton, to be exact).

Anybody got the skills and time to calculate this for some/all states?

Indiana's geographic and population centers are fairly close to each other, and by eyeballing it the midpoint looks to be pretty close to I-65 exit 130 (Whitestown Pkwy)
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bruce

Quote from: dlsterner on November 02, 2022, 09:20:06 PM
Quote from: Bruce on November 02, 2022, 05:02:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 02, 2022, 10:47:11 AM
I like the idea posted up-thread, to use the midpoint between the population centroid and the geographical center.

Washington's would be on a slope overlooking Salmon La Sac, a collection of campgrounds in the Cascades north of Cle Elum. An alpine state capital would be fun, but pretty hard to access for the first few months of the legislative session.

At least Washington's is on land.  Hawaii's geographic center is actually off shore.  Also hard to access for the first few months of the legislative session.

Simple solution: a grand flotilla.

gonealookin

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 02, 2022, 10:48:57 PM

Taking the midpoint of the two centers, as some have suggested...

I did this for Nevada.  Obviously the population center is pretty far south of the geographical center (by about 180 miles).

I came up with 38.172954 N, 116.402977 W, which remarkably plots out to a point almost directly on US 6, a couple miles west of its intersection with NV 375, the "Extraterrestrial Highway".

So that's Warm Springs, Nevada.  Here's a GSV of what you'll find at that US 6/NV 375 intersection, a building that perhaps could be rehabilitated for our Legislature:  https://goo.gl/maps/Pre5brbnCZKbZS8Z6

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on November 01, 2022, 07:02:46 PM
Louisiana's geographic center- near Marksville

Population center- New Roads

It's well known here but just amazing that majority of Louisiana's population is either below I-10/I-12 or just east of the Mississippi River.

iPhone

I was gonna say Alexandria just because most N -> S highways lead there, making an obvious X on the highway maps.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

webny99

Indiana's geographic and population centers are fairly close to each other, and by eyeballing it the midpoint looks to be pretty close to I-65 exit 130 (Whitestown Pkwy)

I might make the time, because after seeing the Nevada one that was just posted, I'm interested to see how representative that location looks for each state.

For New York, I think this is as good as you're going to get Street View-wise. Not as good as Nevada, but still representative of much of rural NY.

jmacswimmer

Taking a quick stab at this for Maryland:

-The population center appears to be a point in the Annapolis Junction/Jessup area in the middle of some warehouses just east of the MD 32/US 1 interchange
-The geographic center is given as "4.5 miles northwest of Davidsonville", which roughly works out to US 50/301 near the Patuxent River just east of the US 301/MD 3 interchange

-These 2 points are only about 13.25 miles apart, and the midpoint appears to be in the middle of the Patuxent Research Refuge a couple miles north of Bowie State University
-The State House in Annapolis is only about 15 miles ESE of this point, so Maryland's capital is already pretty close to all 3 of the above points
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MikieTimT

mgk920

I like the idea posted up-thread, to use the midpoint between the population centroid and the geographical center.

Washington's would be on a slope overlooking Salmon La Sac, a collection of campgrounds in the Cascades north of Cle Elum. An alpine state capital would be fun, but pretty hard to access for the first few months of the legislative session.

At least Washington's is on land.  Hawaii's geographic center is actually off shore.  Also hard to access for the first few months of the legislative session.

Are you really sure that that is a *bad* thing?  Some state capitols were placed where they were precisely because they are inconvenient (ie, Juneau, AK).

Mike

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: mgk920 on November 03, 2022, 12:12:28 PM
Some state capitols were placed where they were precisely because they are inconvenient (ie, Juneau, AK).

Just out of idle curiosity, what makes you think that Juneau was chosen because it was inconvenient?

Best I've been able to find says more or less the opposite:
It's fairly easy to see why Juneau became the capital in 1906 — Anchorage didn't exist yet and Fairbanks was a remote settlement, but Juneau had a thriving mining industry and was only a steamer trip away from Seattle. Additionally, it was not much further up the Panhandle than Sitka, the capital chosen for the territory by its one-time Russian masters.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 03, 2022, 12:43:56 PM
Some state capitols were placed where they were precisely because they are inconvenient (ie, Juneau, AK).

Just out of idle curiosity, what makes you think that Juneau was chosen because it was inconvenient?

Best I've been able to find says more or less the opposite:
It's fairly easy to see why Juneau became the capital in 1906 — Anchorage didn't exist yet and Fairbanks was a remote settlement, but Juneau had a thriving mining industry and was only a steamer trip away from Seattle. Additionally, it was not much further up the Panhandle than Sitka, the capital chosen for the territory by its one-time Russian masters.

I think it's fair to say that Juneau was originally chosen because at the time the panhandle was more populated, but Juneau remained the capital once that was no longer true for security reasons.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

DTComposer

California's geographic center is near Redinger Lake, and its population center is right outside of Shafter - about 115.75 miles apart. Almost exactly halfway between (within .5 miles) is the CA-99/CA-198 interchange - so Visalia would be the choice here.

It's actually a pretty strong choice - 140,000 people in the city, so some infrastructure is there, plenty of room to grow; a small airport but with room to expand; in the agricultural heartland, so removed from the major metros (and their real or perceived influence), but with easy freeway/highway connections to all of them (although that would really get the "make CA-99 an Interstate" crowd going).

Bruce

Are you really sure that that is a *bad* thing?  Some state capitols were placed where they were precisely because they are inconvenient (ie, Juneau, AK).

Mike

The capital should be easily accessible to most members of the public for practical purposes. As the center of government, it should be expected that the public can visit to meet with their legislator, testify on bills in committee, or visit an institution to resolve issues that can't be solved by a local office.

DTComposer

Quote from: Bruce on November 03, 2022, 01:43:34 PM

Mike

The capital should be easily accessible to most members of the public for practical purposes. As the center of government, it should be expected that the public can visit to meet with their legislator, testify on bills in committee, or visit an institution to resolve issues that can't be solved by a local office.

Also, in many cases the capitol has civic/cultural institutions (state museums, libraries, archives, etc.) that should be readily available to the majority of the residents.

kirbykart

Mike

What? Why would any administrative division want the capital to be inconvenient to get to?

skluth

Quote from: DTComposer on November 03, 2022, 02:41:40 PM

Mike

Also, in many cases the capitol has civic/cultural institutions (state museums, libraries, archives, etc.) that should be readily available to the majority of the residents.

The capital is home (or close) to a public university about half the time, often the state's leading university. Home examples include WI, OH, TX, NM, and ID. It may also be in a nearby town like MO, MI, and AZ.

SD Mapman

Quote from: skluth on November 03, 2022, 04:37:21 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on November 03, 2022, 02:41:40 PM

Mike

The capital is home (or close) to a public university about half the time, often the state's leading university. Home examples include WI, OH, TX, NM, and ID. It may also be in a nearby town like MO, MI, and AZ.

In SD, Pierre has really nothing worth visiting for (the Zesto's!) and no one really wants to live there unless they like fishing. The universities are far from there and it's four hours from anything interesting.

We also have a part-time legislature, so outside the legislative session the politicians are back in their districts, where you can talk with them quite easily (e.g. I see one of my state reps at church).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

hbelkins

Quote from: kirbykart on November 03, 2022, 02:47:39 PM

Mike

What? Why would any administrative division want the capital to be inconvenient to get to?

So the government can do things in secret and the people have more difficulty finding out what's going on or participating in the discussions.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2022, 11:55:37 AM

Mike

So the government can do things in secret and the people have more difficulty finding out what's going on or participating in the discussions.

Perhaps in the 18th Century... Heh... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on November 04, 2022, 12:59:35 PM

Mike

You'd be surprised. Frankfort is relatively centrally located both geographically and population-wise, and yet there are lots of complaints that people don't know what's going on in the Capitol and don't have time to organize rallies or protests. And that's with the instantaneous communications and digital transparency we have today.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2022, 01:55:09 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 04, 2022, 12:59:35 PM

Mike

You'd be surprised. Frankfort is relatively centrally located both geographically and population-wise, and yet there are lots of complaints that people don't know what's going on in the Capitol and don't have time to organize rallies or protests. And that's with the instantaneous communications and digital transparency we have today.

I don't think the lack of transparency is a function of the geographic location of the capital.

Albany's considered a backwater by downstaters and lack of transparency is blamed on slimy politicians' behaviors rather than the distance between NYC and Albany.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 03, 2022, 09:12:43 AM

I might make the time, because after seeing the Nevada one that was just posted, I'm interested to see how representative that location looks for each state.

*sigh*   *deep breath*

All right, first some caveats.

1.  I had a hard time finding good coordinates for the geographical center of a lot of states.  Hopefully the list I used had good data.

2.  I used the mean population centroid, not the median population centroid.  If you think that was a bad idea, too bad, what's done is done.

3.  I did a lot of calculations in Excel for this.  Hopefully the math didn't get messed up along the way.

4.  If you think any pins are in the wrong location, then by all means, make your own map.  I don't think I have the will to do it over again.

Anyway, here is the map.   Delaware is my favorite.

And here are my suggestions:

AL – stays in Montgomery, close enough
AK – moves to Anchorage, unless you want it on top of Denali...
AZ – stays in Phoenix
AR – stays in Little Rock
CA – moves to Fresno, CA-99 becomes an Interstate
CO – stays in Denver
CT – stays in Hartford
DE – doesn't get any better than Dover
FL – moves to either Orlando or Tampa, definitely not Tallahassee
GA – moves to Macon
HI – stays in Honolulu.  I mean, seriously...
ID – stays in Boise, as good as you're gonna get
IL – moves to Bloomington or Peoria
IN – stays in Indianapolis
IA – stays in Des Moines, close enough
KS – moves to ... I don't know ... Emporia?  Manhattan?  Nothing's good.
KY – moves to Elizabethtown, or stays in Frankfort.  Whatever.
LA – stays in Baton Rouge, close enough
ME – stays in Augusta, close enough
MD – moves to Baltimore, where it should be anyway...
MA – moves to Worcester, and all schoolchildren will pronounce it wrong
MI – moves to ... *groan* ... Saginaw?  Or just leave in in Lansing?
MN – moves to St Cloud, and the Northstar Line gets extended
MS – stays in Jackson, close enough
MO – stays in Jefferson City.  Whodathunkit?
MT – stays in Helena, because Great Falls is too far north
NE – moves to Grand Island
NV – ??? beats me, this one's terrible
NH – stays in Concord
NJ – stays in Trenton
NM – moves to Albuquerque, obviously
NY – moves to ... uhh ... Binghamton?  No...  Heck, I don't know.
NC – stays in Raleigh, or maybe moves to Greensboro
ND – stays in Bismarck, because Jamestown is too small
OH – stays in Columbus
OK – stays in Oklahoma City, because Goldsby is too small
OR – moves to Bend, or maybe Eugene
PA – stays in Harrisburg, close enough
RI – stays in Providence, duh
SC – stays in Columbia
SD – stays in Pierre, because what else is there?
TN – stays in Nashville
TX – stays in Austin, close enough
UT– stays in Salt Lake City, unless Provo wants it... and they probably do
VT – stays in Montpelier, close enough
VA – stays in Richmond, or moves to Charlottesville
WA – ??? beats me, this one's terrible ... Yakima?  No, that can't be good...
WV – stays in Charleston, close enough
WI – moves to Oshkosh or Fond du Lac
WY – moves to Casper, because Rawlins is too small
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on November 04, 2022, 08:45:18 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 03, 2022, 09:12:43 AM

*sigh*

All right, first some caveats.

1.  I had a hard time finding good coordinates for the geographical center of a lot of states.  Hopefully the list I used had good data.

2.  I used the mean population centroid, not the median population centroid.  If you think that was a bad idea, too bad, what's done is done.

3.  I did a lot of calculations in Excel for this.  Hopefully the math didn't get messed up along the way.

4.  If you think any pins are in the wrong location, then by all means, make your own map.  I don't think I have the will to do it over again.

Anyway, here is the map.   Delaware is my favorite.

And here are my suggestions:

AL – stays in Montgomery, close enough
AK – moves to Anchorage, unless you want it on top of Denali...
AZ – stays in Phoenix
AR – stays in Little Rock
CA – moves to Fresno, CA-99 becomes an Interstate
CO – stays in Denver
CT – stays in Hartford
DE – doesn't get any better than Dover
FL – moves to either Orlando or Tampa, definitely not Tallahassee
GA – moves to Macon
HI – stays in Honolulu.  I mean, seriously...
ID – stays in Boise, as good as you're gonna get
IL – moves to Bloomington or Peoria
IN – stays in Indianapolis
IA – stays in Des Moines, close enough
KS – moves to ... I don't know ... Emporia?  Manhattan?  Nothing's good.
KY – moves to Elizabethtown, or stays in Frankfort.  Whatever.
LA – stays in Baton Rouge, close enough
ME – stays in Augusta, close enough
MD – moves to Baltimore, where it should be anyway...
MA – moves to Worcester, and all schoolchildren will pronounce it wrong
MI – moves to ... *groan* ... Saginaw?  Or just leave in in Lansing?
MN – moves to St Cloud, and the Northstar Line gets extended
MS – stays in Jackson, close enough
MO – stays in Jefferson City.  Whodathunkit?
MT – stays in Helena, because Great Falls is too far north
NE – moves to Grand Island
NV – ??? beats me, this one's terrible
NH – stays in Concord
NJ – stays in Trenton
NM – moves to Albuquerque, obviously
NY – moves to ... uhh ... Binghamton?  No...  Heck, I don't know.
NC – stays in Raleigh, or maybe moves to Greensboro
ND – stays in Bismarck, because Jamestown is too small
OH – stays in Columbus
OK – stays in Oklahoma City, because Goldsby is too small
OR – moves to Bend, or maybe Eugene
PA – stays in Harrisburg, close enough
RI – stays in Providence, duh
SC – stays in Columbia
SD – stays in Pierre, because what else is there?
TN – stays in Nashville
TX – stays in Austin, close enough
UT– stays in Salt Lake City, unless Provo wants it... and they probably do
VT – stays in Montpelier, close enough
VA – stays in Richmond, or moves to Charlottesville
WA – ??? beats me, this one's terrible ... Yakima?  No, that can't be good...
WV – stays in Charleston, close enough
WI – moves to Oshkosh or Fond du Lac
WY – moves to Casper, because Rawlins is too small
There are capitals smaller than Mount Pleasant, Michigan which is probably the closest decently populated city to the center of the Lower Peninsula. Cadillac if you want the center of the state due to how far north and west the Upper Peninsula goes. Or maybe Traverse City. Lansing seems to be in a pretty good location for the capital though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.