News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIP Franco Harris

Started by jp the roadgeek, December 21, 2022, 06:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Just 2 days before the 50th anniversary of The Immaculate Reception and 3 days before the Steelers are going to retire his number.

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1605533522520948737?s=46&t=i8lQp2HW6L9yRaktM8P74w
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

nexus73

Franco Harris's best move was running out of bounds.  He got the yardage available, then went out to save his body from extra hits.  Good move!  It was a contrast to Earl Campbell, who did the bull in the china shop routine until he was used up.
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Mr_Northside

I heard a replay of a radio interview Ron Cook did with him just under 2 weeks ago.  At the end, Ron asked him how he was feeling, and he said he was feeling fine.
RIP indeed.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Henry

It's amazing how one play could turn a perennial loser like the Steelers into a six-time Super Bowl champion! Earlier this morning, I saw a clip of the old NBC telecast where Bradshaw threw to his intended target in the midst of a Raiders pass rush, but the ball bounced off Tatum (the defensive back covering Bradshaw's receiver) and out of the camera's view until it reappeared in Harris' hands and was carried for the winning TD. I know it'll be replayed on NFL Network in the days leading up to the anniversary.

RIP Franco
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

KCRoadFan

And I noticed that this weekend, on Christmas Eve, the Steelers will host the Raiders - that will be quite the commemoration.

Big John

Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 22, 2022, 11:18:05 PM
And I noticed that this weekend, on Christmas Eve, the Steelers will host the Raiders - that will be quite the commemoration.
And were already set to retire his #32 tomorrow night.

Henry

Quote from: Big John on December 23, 2022, 10:16:27 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 22, 2022, 11:18:05 PM
And were already set to retire his #32 tomorrow night.
Which would be an appropriate opponent for the anniversary, even though they now play in Las Vegas after having moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

amroad17

I actually watched "The Immaculate Reception" on NBC live.  Amazing then and amazing now!

#32, one of the players that turned the Pittsburgh Steelers from the worst NFL team since its formation to one of the best, especially in the 1970's. 

RIP, Franco.  May his Italian Army live on!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

texaskdog

Quote from: Henry on December 22, 2022, 10:45:36 AM
It's amazing how one play could turn a perennial loser like the Steelers into a six-time Super Bowl champion! Earlier this morning, I saw a clip of the old NBC telecast where Bradshaw threw to his intended target in the midst of a Raiders pass rush, but the ball bounced off Tatum (the defensive back covering Bradshaw's receiver) and out of the camera's view until it reappeared in Harris' hands and was carried for the winning TD. I know it'll be replayed on NFL Network in the days leading up to the anniversary.

They got paid a lot of money to switch conferences

RIP Franco

SectorZ

Franco Harris actually has a large connection to the world of transportation, though not for roads. He was a big rail trail advocate going decades back.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1992/10/19/recycling-abandoned-railroads-the-rails-to-trails-conservancy-turns-old-railbeds-into-scenic-biking-and-hiking-paths

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.