News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on October 29, 2020, 08:59:50 AM
Quote from: ET21 on October 28, 2020, 11:59:50 PM
Halloween I-294 update (least from what I've seen)

-North-central section between Grand and the Bensenville bridge continues to get torn up. The center median has been prepped to be rebuilt.

-The central section begins the long process of redoing the I-294/290/88/IL-38 interchange. For now power line towers continue to be built ahead of the main roadway reconstruction.

-The railway bridge continues with cleanup work and rail construction between 47th and 55th streets

-Rebuilding has begun in the south-central section between the Oasis and I-55. The right lane and shoulder of southbound I-294 is beginning rebuilding which extends onto the I-55 ramps. Center median is being rebuilt just before the I-55 flyover at the Oasis exit on northbound I-294

-Rebuilding continues between I-55 and the 75th street exits. In conjunction with the new northbound Mile Long bridge. The 5th lane is pretty much built on the northbound lanes, now its just lining up everything else.

-Mile long bridge continues for the northbound lanes. Much of the bridge is complete except the north and south ends which are now being prepped for connections. The I-294/Archer/LaGrange/79th street interchanges are in full rebuild mode. Much of Archer Ave has been torn down and new piers are being built.

-The center median has begun reconstructions between the 88th Ave toll plaza and 95th street exit. Still no movement on 95th itself, including the Harlem Ave interchange where the pavement is really starting to show its age.

I really wish they would find a way to add a direct connection from IL-38 to I-294 NB and from I-294 SB to at least IL-38 WB. ETC should make this fairly easy to do at this point I would think.
ETC is not the issue
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10015.0

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 29, 2020, 11:20:29 AM

-North-central section between Grand and the Bensenville bridge continues to get torn up. The center median has been prepped to be rebuilt.

-The central section begins the long process of redoing the I-294/290/88/IL-38 interchange. For now power line towers continue to be built ahead of the main roadway reconstruction.

-The railway bridge continues with cleanup work and rail construction between 47th and 55th streets

-Rebuilding has begun in the south-central section between the Oasis and I-55. The right lane and shoulder of southbound I-294 is beginning rebuilding which extends onto the I-55 ramps. Center median is being rebuilt just before the I-55 flyover at the Oasis exit on northbound I-294

-Rebuilding continues between I-55 and the 75th street exits. In conjunction with the new northbound Mile Long bridge. The 5th lane is pretty much built on the northbound lanes, now its just lining up everything else.

-Mile long bridge continues for the northbound lanes. Much of the bridge is complete except the north and south ends which are now being prepped for connections. The I-294/Archer/LaGrange/79th street interchanges are in full rebuild mode. Much of Archer Ave has been torn down and new piers are being built.

-The center median has begun reconstructions between the 88th Ave toll plaza and 95th street exit. Still no movement on 95th itself, including the Harlem Ave interchange where the pavement is really starting to show its age.

I really wish they would find a way to add a direct connection from IL-38 to I-294 NB and from I-294 SB to at least IL-38 WB. ETC should make this fairly easy to do at this point I would think.
ETC is not the issue
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10015.0
It looks like there would be ROW to make this happen. Actually, I like the idea of utilizing I-88 to handle this movement. Not too sure why the tollway didn't consider making some adjustments to these interchanges with this rebuild (like they did on I-90 in many places when it was rebuilt).

ET21

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 29, 2020, 10:09:28 AM

I wish they'd add an entrance ramp to I-294 SB from 22nd or 31st streets. Getting on at Ogden during evening rush is a nightmare.

I think they'll be redoing the Ogden ramps in conjunction with the EB 88 to SB 294 ramp. Thought I saw something where it'll get a divided exit lane from everything else
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on November 02, 2020, 09:17:59 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on October 29, 2020, 10:09:28 AM

I wish they'd add an entrance ramp to I-294 SB from 22nd or 31st streets. Getting on at Ogden during evening rush is a nightmare.

I think they'll be redoing the Ogden ramps in conjunction with the EB 88 to SB 294 ramp. Thought I saw something where it'll get a divided exit lane from everything else

Not too sure exactly what the plan is, but it would be a good opportunity to convert the Ogden interchange into an SPUI or Parclo. And yes, I also agree with the access from 22nd to I-294 SB (or from I-294 NB). Also, widen 22nd to six lanes through the interchange.

ILRoad55

Also, trains are running on the new BNSF bridge, all 3 tracks. The original one had it's tracks removed and I imagine will soon be dismantled.

Great Lakes Roads

BIG NEWS!

The new northbound Mile-Long Bridge on I-294 will be opening to traffic on Wednesday - a day before Thanksgiving (weather permitting)... Once northbound traffic shifts to the new bridge, demolition will begin on the existing northbound bridge to build a new southbound Mile-Long Bridge that will open sometime in 2022.

https://www.radio.com/wbbm780/news/local/illinois-tollway-prepares-to-open-mile-long-bridge-next-week

ChiMilNet

Looks like the Edens Spur work is wrapping up finally!

https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois-tollway-reopening-edens-spur/article_f12f4f35-797c-540b-b69a-65d09bb78103.html

QuoteThe Illinois Tollway reopened all lanes and restored eastbound and westbound traffic to its permanent configuration this week as completion nears on the $109.1 million Edens Spur Tollway (I-94) Improvement Project.

All westbound lanes on the Edens Spur Tollway between the Union Pacific Railroad and Edens Expressway reopened to traffic Thursday, and all eastbound lanes reopened Friday.

machias

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 22, 2020, 03:00:52 AM

https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois-tollway-reopening-edens-spur/article_f12f4f35-797c-540b-b69a-65d09bb78103.html

QuoteThe Illinois Tollway reopened all lanes and restored eastbound and westbound traffic to its permanent configuration this week as completion nears on the $109.1 million Edens Spur Tollway (I-94) Improvement Project.

All westbound lanes on the Edens Spur Tollway between the Union Pacific Railroad and Edens Expressway reopened to traffic Thursday, and all eastbound lanes reopened Friday.

I drove through there yesterday and noticed the exit from the Edens to the spur was back to two lanes and the new overhead gantries and signs approaching the ramp are up and looking great.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: machias on November 22, 2020, 04:14:04 PM

I drove through there yesterday and noticed the exit from the Edens to the spur was back to two lanes and the new overhead gantries and signs approaching the ramp are up and looking great.

I'm very curious to see how that looks through there. Just wondering, since they were rebuilding the overpasses over the railroad both ways just West of the Edens/Spur Interchange, is there still that merge down to one lane on the ramp from the inbound Spur onto the Edens? That has always been a terrible choke point (to where the tollway would have a flashing light warning of stopped traffic), and this always seemed like a good opportunity to correct that issue.

JoePCool14

Very cool! I'm heading back home from college tomorrow, so I'm going to have to head out and check out the finished product.

I wonder if ISTHA bothered to add the exit number back for the Waukegan exit or not. Last time I checked, it was not signed with a number.  :-/

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

machias

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 22, 2020, 08:42:09 PM

I'm very curious to see how that looks through there. Just wondering, since they were rebuilding the overpasses over the railroad both ways just West of the Edens/Spur Interchange, is there still that merge down to one lane on the ramp from the inbound Spur onto the Edens? That has always been a terrible choke point (to where the tollway would have a flashing light warning of stopped traffic), and this always seemed like a good opportunity to correct that issue.

I drove through yesterday and yes, it merges down to one lane to go down the ramp from the spur to the Edens. I'm surprised they didn't change this configuration.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: machias on November 28, 2020, 09:10:03 PM

I drove through yesterday and yes, it merges down to one lane to go down the ramp from the spur to the Edens. I'm surprised they didn't change this configuration.

That's disappointing and an obvious missed opportunity to fix a notable bottleneck. I wonder if it comes down to cooperation (or lack of) from IDOT?

SSOWorld

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 28, 2020, 10:34:53 PM

That's disappointing and an obvious missed opportunity to fix a notable bottleneck. I wonder if it comes down to cooperation (or lack of) from IDOT?

IDOT -- Cooperate?

They're likely still bitter about the diversion of the route due to resistance from the locals at the time and will do anything to fuck ISTHA.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

machias

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 29, 2020, 03:00:38 PM

IDOT -- Cooperate?

They're likely still bitter about the diversion of the route due to resistance from the locals at the time and will do anything to fuck ISTHA.

I took the Edens Spur eastbound again today. I can't figure out why they didn't go with two lanes from the spur down to the Edens. The roadway and preceding bridges are all wide enough, they just funnel traffic down to one lane right before the ramp. They definitely had an opportunity to make things better there.

The other thing I've always been curious about, why isn't IL 43/Waukegan Road marked as Exit 27? It doesn't have an exit number; it's like it was skipped when ISHTA numbered all the interchanges years ago.

ET21

Northbound I-294 lanes have been shifted onto the new mile long bridge span. They will now begin to dismantle to original northbound bridge to built the new southbound lanes

Clinched:

Joe The Dragon

IDOT may not have the funds for that. (may be drop US-41 to 2 lanes there as the cheap as way)

JoePCool14

Quote from: machias on December 06, 2020, 12:08:10 AM
The other thing I've always been curious about, why isn't IL 43/Waukegan Road marked as Exit 27? It doesn't have an exit number; it's like it was skipped when ISHTA numbered all the interchanges years ago.

It's clear that no one cared enough about it to re-incorporate the exit number in the project. There was actually a brief period of time before the rebuild where the exit was numbered. Needless to say, it's a bit irritating.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

machias

I noticed new overhead signs westbound approach Elmhurst Road on I-90/Jane Addams today. Unfortunately, the new signs have weirdly stretched Series E lettering and the lowercase letters are too small for the uppercase letters on the sign. (I hate it when sign manufacturers treat the dimensions like a 'font size'). I haven't noticed this type of issue before on ISHTA roads (maybe one other sign now that I think about it), but now I wonder if the new EB overhead signs for I-490 that are currently covered up have the same issue. I sent an email to ISHTA about the error, this is my first time reporting something like this to them. Do they usually respond?

Joe The Dragon

anyone know if the IL tollway will stay ETC ONLY after covid is over?

lstone19

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 14, 2020, 06:44:34 PM

My guess is yes. I drove through the Elgin plaza yesterday and noticed they've changed things again with all non-open road tolling traffic funneled through the single I-Pass Only lane on the left of the plaza lanes which is now signed "I-Pass or Pay Online". Previous to this, a couple of the self-service lanes were open (although the self-service machines were apparently off and they had a VMS saying "Do Not Stop". With the sign changes, I guess they don't plan to return to manual collection or self-service options, at least at that location.

SSOWorld

Unclear. They have have plans to, they're not sharing them.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ET21

They were experimenting with self-serve lanes at a few plazas. Not gonna lie, it def seems like they would continue down that path and Covid maybe sped the process up. We'll see as 2021 and 2022 go along

Clinched:

machias

My guess is yes. They changed all of the toll related signs on I-88 EB from Aurora to the Tri-State indicating I-Pass or Pay Online.

Brandon

Quote from: machias on December 15, 2020, 03:26:15 PM

My guess is yes. They changed all of the toll related signs on I-88 EB from Aurora to the Tri-State indicating I-Pass or Pay Online.

Likewise on I-355.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jwags

Quote from: Brandon on December 15, 2020, 07:27:39 PM
Quote from: machias on December 15, 2020, 03:26:15 PM

Likewise on I-355.

Is that at the ramp plazas or the mainline too? Do they just have the cash lanes completely blocked off?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.