News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 02, 2021, 10:30:12 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on January 02, 2021, 02:45:54 PM
We could play "what-if" all day long. However, I think most of that is overthinking it. There are signs everywhere stating that you need to go to illinoistollway.com.

In violation of the MUTCD.

How does it violate?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Revive 755

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 02, 2021, 11:07:31 PM

How does it violate?

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD Section 2A.06 Paragraph 14Except as provided in Paragraph 16 and except for the Carpool Information (D12-2) sign (see Section 2I.11), Internet addresses and e-mail addresses, including domain names and uniform resource locators (URL), shall not be displayed on any sign, supplemental plaque, sign panel (including logo sign panels on Specific Service signs), or changeable message sign.

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD Section 2A.06 Paragraph 16Internet addresses, e-mail addresses, or telephone numbers with more than four characters may be displayed
on signs, supplemental plaques, sign panels, and changeable message signs that are intended for viewing only by pedestrians, bicyclists, occupants of parked vehicles, or drivers of vehicles on low-speed roadways where engineering judgment indicates that an area is available for drivers to stop out of the traffic flow to read the

[edited to fix quoting error]

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 02, 2021, 11:22:59 PM

How does it violate?

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD Section 2A.06 Paragraph 14Except as provided in Paragraph 16 and except for the Carpool Information (D12-2) sign (see Section 2I.11), Internet addresses and e-mail addresses, including domain names and uniform resource locators (URL), shall not be displayed on any sign, supplemental plaque, sign panel (including logo sign panels on Specific Service signs), or changeable message sign.

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD Section 2A.06 Paragraph 16Internet addresses, e-mail addresses, or telephone numbers with more than four characters may be displayed
on signs, supplemental plaques, sign panels, and changeable message signs that are intended for viewing only by pedestrians, bicyclists, occupants of parked vehicles, or drivers of vehicles on low-speed roadways where engineering judgment indicates that an area is available for drivers to stop out of the traffic flow to read the

[edited to fix quoting error]
well try that in the court room to get out of your toll bill. Or maybe best best case pay by mail NO ADMIN FEES and at cash rate.

SSOWorld

Quote from: GeekJedi on January 02, 2021, 02:45:54 PM
We could play "what-if" all day long. However, I think most of that is overthinking it. There are signs everywhere stating that you need to go to illinoistollway.com.

How does it violate?
I see how now

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/interpretations/2_09_174.htm?fbclid=IwAR3Ft5pvGRn_OKD_imOXuoFSu0o3mHyoFcjp2HyMW3fWFOFYpkQEWgGIdpU

As long as it curbs if not eliminate the joke/law of the day messages (they can be on but for a limited time)

</end_of_topic_derailment>
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

machias

It looks like ISHTA is converting the overhead signs for I-PASS or online toll only. Taken today at the Waukegan Tolls, same signs in both directions. These signs replace "ELECTRONIC TOLL ONLY" and "CASH" signs.  The diagrammatic signs are gone as well, replaced with "TOLL AHEAD / I-PASS OR ONLINE PAY ONLY" signs.

I-39

Quote from: machias on January 16, 2021, 06:41:31 PM
It looks like ISHTA is converting the overhead signs for I-PASS or online toll only. Taken today at the Waukegan Tolls, same signs in both directions. These signs replace "ELECTRONIC TOLL ONLY" and "CASH" signs.  The diagrammatic signs are gone as well, replaced with "TOLL AHEAD / I-PASS OR ONLINE PAY ONLY" signs.

So they are going all electronic full time? I wonder how long until they tear down the cash booths?

ET21

I noticed that at a few booths along I-294. I figured it was because of Covid and they didn't want interactions between drivers and toll booths but seemed a bit much to make a brand new sign. Maybe Covid really kickstarted the whole "Get an IPass or pay online"
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

machias

Quote from: ET21 on January 16, 2021, 07:19:57 PM
I noticed that at a few booths along I-294. I figured it was because of Covid and they didn't want interactions between drivers and toll booths but seemed a bit much to make a brand new sign. Maybe Covid really kickstarted the whole "Get an IPass or pay online"

I think that's what's going on here. They've used the COVID restrictions as a reason to eliminate the toll booths altogether. I noticed a bunch of signs have been changed on I-88 as well, removing any mentions of cash booths at the interchanges. I'll drive through there on Monday to see if the overhead "ELECTRONIC TOLL ONLY" signs have been replaced as well.

Joe The Dragon

may in the Central Tri-State Tollway rebuild they will just fully remove them at cermak.

o hare airport has 5 lanes was started some time ago.

Waukegan needs an way to get to 4 lanes

Opkl2

If the tollway is going all electronic, I-294 could use some more interchanges between lengthy gaps. I also would like to see what will happen with the abandoned cash lanes. They probably could've kept the coin buckets for out-of-state drivers though. Or perhaps a machine that accepts card payments.

Revive 755

Quote from: Opkl2 on January 17, 2021, 02:54:50 AM
If the tollway is going all electronic, I-294 could use some more interchanges between lengthy gaps. I also would like to see what will happen with the abandoned cash lanes. They probably could've kept the coin buckets for out-of-state drivers though. Or perhaps a machine that accepts card payments.

The Tollway already had machines that could take credit cards..

As for adding ramps, ISTHA almost always requires some form of local funding to help pay for them.

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on January 16, 2021, 10:51:18 PM
may in the Central Tri-State Tollway rebuild they will just fully remove them at cermak.

o hare airport has 5 lanes was started some time ago.

Waukegan needs an way to get to 4 lanes

The O'Hare section is pretty much finished, 5-6 lane sections with the Irving Park and Oasis exits merged into one. I think they might redo the cash booths with self serve booths unless they really want to tear down the structure. Some of those are old whereas others like on I-88 are only 10 years old

Clinched:

SSOWorld

...image cut in reply...

...image cut in reply...

The only instances as of year-end are at this and South Beloit (I-90).  Everything else has the old signs (Note they were not in a hurry to replace non-compliant white signs at Elgin or Devon Ave to begin with as those were not under contract with the widening last decade).  If there were any credit card machines on I-355 south of I-88, they're all gone!  You can only pay online for those ramps.

Many signs will likely require replacement once the new MUTCD is published since internet addresses will be banned by it.

Another hint at permanent AET is that you can register your car for a Pay-by-Plate option in advance, but trust me - the E-Z Pass option is better long term. The latter is for the occasional driver of the roads from afar.  You are not automatically charged through this without registering (You're still obligated to go to the site and pay)

Whatever plans they have for AET long term are definitely being kept under wraps.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

I-39

The tollway has been gradually replacing most of the old overpasses on the original portion I-88 in recent years. Church Road, Mitchell Road, Farnsworth Ave, York Road have all be replaced. This year, Deerpath Road is being replaced, as well as the Windsor Dr overpass on the EB I-88 to SB I-294 ramp.

The most glaring omissions are Randall Road, Eola Road and IL-83. Will they replace these in the coming years?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on January 25, 2021, 01:47:28 PM
The tollway has been gradually replacing most of the old overpasses on the original portion I-88 in recent years. Church Road, Mitchell Road, Farnsworth Ave, York Road have all be replaced. This year, Deerpath Road is being replaced, as well as the Windsor Dr overpass on the EB I-88 to SB I-294 ramp.

The most glaring omissions are Randall Road, Eola Road and IL-83. Will they replace these in the coming years?
https://www.randallover90.com/

Joe The Dragon

I-39

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on January 25, 2021, 11:21:15 PM

https://www.randallover90.com/

That is over I-90. I am talking about I-88.

ET21

Eola I think was rehabbed when they built the exit 10 years ago. IL-83 could use a nice upgrade

Clinched:

I-39

With this being the 10th anniversary of when Move Illinois was approved, what do you think the next big projects will be when the current work wraps up? After the central Tri-State rebuild, the EOE and the I-57/294 interchange, what else is needed?

The IL-53 extension is sadly dead, but I think one big thing should be the I-90/I-290 interchange in Schaumburg. That needs to be rebuilt with a new configuration.

edwaleni

Quote from: I-39 on February 03, 2021, 10:47:40 AM
With this being the 10th anniversary of when Move Illinois was approved, what do you think the next big projects will be when the current work wraps up? After the central Tri-State rebuild, the EOE and the I-57/294 interchange, what else is needed?

The IL-53 extension is sadly dead, but I think one big thing should be the I-90/I-290 interchange in Schaumburg. That needs to be rebuilt with a new configuration.

- Finish I-390 as a tollroad to IL-59 for the EOE
- Complete the North Lake Expressway (IL-120) from I-94 to Round Lake (IDOT owns 70% of the ROW)
- Build connection ramps to IL-83 south from IL-120. It is unincorporated Lake County and not subject to the local NIMBYism further south. (IDOT owns 100%)
- Start the Illiana from I-80 near Morris to I-57 north of Manteno, regardless of the airport. (IDOT owns >10% of ROW) At a minimum, start the bridge to I-55
- Land acquisition to improve IL-47 north of Morris to Oswego.

Revive 755

I'm still waiting until either most of the ROW for IL 53 is sold/transferred before I call it dead instead of dormant.  If the ROW stays in IDOT hands it could try to come back again in 2023.

I think a revisit/partial build of the Illiana may come up, particularly if the growth around Crown Point keeps up.  Possibly an IL 394 upgrade/extension.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 03, 2021, 10:53:32 PM
I'm still waiting until either most of the ROW for IL 53 is sold/transferred before I call it dead instead of dormant.  If the ROW stays in IDOT hands it could try to come back again in 2023.

I think a revisit/partial build of the Illiana may come up, particularly if the growth around Crown Point keeps up.  Possibly an IL 394 upgrade/extension.

IDOT owns or has rights to a large amount of land in the state.  I have a bad feeling that in a moment of weakness, they are going to sell off a ton of it to help balance the poorly run budgets in the state.

While I have no proof of it, the state of Illinois may have used this unused land as collateral as part of their junk bond debt refinancing efforts.

If this is the case, Illinois might have to either sit on it, and if they sell it, it has to be designated to go directly to the bond holders and doesn't help the annual budget at all.

I don't want to see a repeat on the 1980's where to balance their budgets, many Illinois school districts, with declining enrollments and a poor economy, sold off a lot of land, land they needed 10 years later when enrollments went into a boom phase. They subsequently ended up overpaying to get the last remaining open land in their jurisdiction.

While I think IDOT should just wait it out another 10-20 years and then see what options are possible on IL-53, long term they are going to need a north-south option of *some* kind. It really s/b a tollroad becuase they have better budgets to support sound remediations. Something critical in this ROW.

I seriously thought about any tollway opportunities outside the metro Chicago area that arent covered by a tax funded highway today and they were all marginal.

With political leaders only thinking about the next election they have a bad habit of thinking tactically, not strategically.

JoePCool14

Definitely a yes on the I-90/I-290 interchange. That ramp from 90 East to 53 North in particular is hell. Then again, so is 53 South to 90 West... yeah the whole thing is a disaster.

As for other big projects (fictional dreaming incoming), would be interesting to see upgrades to US-41 eventually in Lake County. Potentially some intersections converted to interchanges? I don't know if its necessary, but that's one route that comes to mind. Maybe some grade separation improvements to US-12 up to Wisconsin.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SSOWorld

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 04, 2021, 11:36:41 AM

Definitely a yes on the I-90/I-290 interchange. That ramp from 90 East to 53 North in particular is hell. Then again, so is 53 South to 90 West... yeah the whole thing is a disaster.

As for other big projects (fictional dreaming incoming), would be interesting to see upgrades to US-41 eventually in Lake County. Potentially some intersections converted to interchanges? I don't know if its necessary, but that's one route that comes to mind. Maybe some grade separation improvements to US-12 up to Wisconsin.
You're talking about Lake County - a section of land devoted to wealthy N.I.M.B.Y.s
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Revive 755

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 04, 2021, 11:36:41 AM

I don't think giving US 41 to ISTHA would go over well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.