News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by 74/171FAN, July 10, 2009, 01:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Portion between Indy and Evansville currently ahead of schedule  http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/jul/10/i-69-exceeding-speed-limit/  EDIT: Found better article about I-69 overall in this section

[Added post icon. -S.]
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rawmustard

And you can see some of the photos in my Indy meet set. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawmustard/sets/72157621204721626/

Specifically, the 12th through 21st photos in that set highlight the portion now under construction, which is from I-64 to SR 68. It's going to be quite some time before they'll construct from there north, however. I'm going to have to go through and geotag them at some point. They're aiming for a July 2010 opening for just that section, and judging by the progress, they just might make it.

lamsalfl

Wow, this is great.  I've always thought we needed more Interstate routes in the east even if they don't travel through big cities. If we had more rural routes, the whole South wouldn't have to travel through Atlanta (lots of congestion) to get to Florida, the Northeast, westerly, etc.  Also, this will help to open up new markets to the rest of the country like Bloomington, Washington, etc. in SW Indiana.

One route I really really would love to see would be Mobile-Meridian-Tupelo-Jackson(TN), and ending at I-55 via I-155.

rawmustard

The FHWA approved construction of the segment from US-50 east of Washington to US-231 outside of Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center. Work on the three overpasses should begin in April, with paving expected to start sometime this summer. I offer an entry on this development on Adam Prince's blog.

Alex

http://cms.transportation.org/sites/route/docs/SM2010,%20IN%20I-69.pdf

QuoteINDOT respectfully requests the designation of Proposed Route (PR) 69 from I-64 to US 231 as Interstate Route 69. The 1.77 mile segment of PR-69 from I-64 to SR68 is already open to traffic and the remaining 65.3 miles of PR-69 from SR 69 to US 231 is anticipated to be complete in October of 2012.

Date facility available to traffic September 2009 (from I-64 to SR 68) October 2012 (From SR 68 to US231)

Brandon

^^
It's good to see the freeway being built, but I do have a couple of questions.

1. How does this fit into INDOT's existing mileage cap of 12,000 miles?

2. Why I-69 and not I-63?  I-63 would be a better fit and keeps the grid intact instead of making a joke of it.  This is where the US highways failed, IMHO, when everyone and his brother and sister wanted extensions everywhere that failed to fit in the original idea of what they were supposed to be.  We risk doing the exact same thing with the Interstates.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on April 15, 2010, 11:44:30 AM
^^
It's good to see the freeway being built, but I do have a couple of questions.

1. How does this fit into INDOT's existing mileage cap of 12,000 miles?

2. Why I-69 and not I-63?  I-63 would be a better fit and keeps the grid intact instead of making a joke of it.  This is where the US highways failed, IMHO, when everyone and his brother and sister wanted extensions everywhere that failed to fit in the original idea of what they were supposed to be.  We risk doing the exact same thing with the Interstates.
It is my sense that it is 'I-69' in that it is a logical continuation of an existing route number.

Mike

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon2. Why I-69 and not I-63?  I-63 would be a better fit and keeps the grid intact instead of making a joke of it.  This is where the US highways failed, IMHO, when everyone and his brother and sister wanted extensions everywhere that failed to fit in the original idea of what they were supposed to be.  We risk doing the exact same thing with the Interstates.

I'd say the number is being kept the same for route continuity as part of the NAFTA route intention.  Also, I don't think Indy is the best spot to have the route change numbers; Memphis would be better, being where the route appears to become more E-W than N-S, and also at where the I-69 corridor may meet a future spur route to Texarkana along US 59.

As for the interstate grid violations becoming as bad as those in the US route system, we're already there, thanks to I-74 in NC, I-99, and likely in the future with I-39 and I-43 probably becoming east of an odd I-5x or I-4x.  Of course, had the trend been as bad years ago, I-81 and I-59 would share the same number (one of the early number schemes posted elsewhere on this forum did have both routes as I-77 IIRC).

leifvanderwall

The people in Congress don't really care about the grid anymore; that's why we have all these 4xx US Routes now. Besides our congressman probably think drivers should know the difference between an interstate shield and a US highway shield by now. I think when it's all said and done, I-69 will be an interstate version of US 62.

bugo

Quote from: lamsalfl on July 23, 2009, 07:10:49 PM
Wow, this is great.  I've always thought we needed more Interstate routes in the east even if they don't travel through big cities. If we had more rural routes, the whole South wouldn't have to travel through Atlanta (lots of congestion) to get to Florida, the Northeast, westerly, etc.  Also, this will help to open up new markets to the rest of the country like Bloomington, Washington, etc. in SW Indiana.

One route I really really would love to see would be Mobile-Meridian-Tupelo-Jackson(TN), and ending at I-55 via I-155.

Why not extend it to Kansas City?  There's no good NW to SE route in Missouri.

agentsteel53

QuoteINDOT respectfully requests the designation of Proposed Route (PR) 69 from I-64 to US 231 as Interstate Route 69. The 1.77 mile segment of PR-69 from I-64 to SR68 is already open to traffic and the remaining 65.3 miles of PR-69 from SR 69 to US 231 is anticipated to be complete in October of 2012.

Date facility available to traffic September 2009 (from I-64 to SR 68) October 2012 (From SR 68 to US231)

does this mean they will sign the completed segment as I-69 relatively soon?  And what of the future segment; will that get Future shields?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 15, 2010, 08:27:02 PM

does this mean they will sign the completed segment as I-69 relatively soon?  And what of the future segment; will that get Future shields?

The already open segment is already posted as I-69:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1726.msg51136#msg51136

J N Winkler

Design-build specimen plans for the "future" section (InDOT contract nos. 33047 and 33049) are already available and the signing plans call for I-69 shields--no "FUTURE" nonsense.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

sammack

Anyone know of anything definitive regarding turning US 51 north of Dyersburg, TN,  into a freeway

mightyace

Quote from: sammack on April 17, 2010, 05:57:23 PM
Anyone know of anything definitive regarding turning US 51 north of Dyersburg, TN,  into a freeway

There's this map at http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/I69/segment7/map.htm
and a link to the "final" environmental impact statement from 2002.

The overall page for I-69 in Tennessee is at http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/i69/default.htm
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Scott5114

As ODOT has proven with US 377, even if AASHTO explicitly declines your request several times, there is nothing to stop a state DOT from signing a highway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rawmustard

Terry Shea

ShawnP

Drove it yesterday completed to one exit North of I-64 and under major construction as far as the eye can see from there.

tdindy88

Quote from: rawmustard on May 19, 2010, 02:47:43 PM
Gov. Daniels is accelerating the timeline for construction, and vows the part from Evansville to Bloomington will be open by 2014.

Bloomington, really! I've seen plans up to Crane and I've seen some of the plans for the corridor up to Bloomington, but I didn't know they were actually going to build that stretch, I guess I'll see more about that in the coming years. Competing the road to Bloomington at SR 37 will effectively complete the corridor, at least the route will be there.

Revive 755

I'll be impressed if I-69 actually manages to connect to IN 37 near Bloomington, given the opposition from the city.  I would not be surprised to see that section end up in the courts again.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2010, 12:21:26 AM
As ODOT has proven with US 377, even if AASHTO explicitly declines your request several times, there is nothing to stop a state DOT from signing a highway.

I wonder why AASHTO was so hell-bent on denying that route?  And if ODOT were to request it again, would AASHTO approve it because it's already signed?

Grzrd

Grzrd

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 19, 2010, 05:45:55 PM
Quote from: rawmustard on May 19, 2010, 02:47:43 PM
Gov. Daniels is accelerating the timeline for construction, and vows the part from Evansville to Bloomington will be open by 2014.
Bloomington, really! I've seen plans up to Crane and I've seen some of the plans for the corridor up to Bloomington, but I didn't know they were actually going to build that stretch, I guess I'll see more about that in the coming years. Competing the road to Bloomington at SR 37 will effectively complete the corridor, at least the route will be there.
Quote from: Revive 755 on May 21, 2010, 12:17:18 AM
I'll be impressed if I-69 actually manages to connect to IN 37 near Bloomington, given the opposition from the city.  I would not be surprised to see that section end up in the courts again.
Feds provide 30-day extension for comment period (to Oct. 28) re Crane to Bloomington section.  Should be a fierce war of commentary:

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/ef686b0be49948b58c6aef49a767aaf5/IN--Interstate_69/

The 27-mile section runs northeastward from Crane to Bloomington. Gov. Mitch Daniels has predicted construction on that section could begin by next summer, but the area also is home to some of the project's fiercest opponents. Dozens of people spoke against it during a public hearing last month.
The draft study can be found at libraries in the area and at the I-69 project website at http://www.i69indyevn.org.

ShawnP

I think some money should be saved by reducing the number of overpasses in this area. Ok maybe it might be aimed at some of the whiners as a cheap shot. Tired of these guys whining and then in a few years they will be driving on I-69 with their anti-I-69 bumper stickers. Yes I understand some people will lose property but it's part of moving forward as a state and they are being compensated for their property.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.