News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Utica/Rome Meet - May 2, 2015

Started by vdeane, December 30, 2014, 12:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

The 2015 meet calendar is filling up, so I'd better claim the date now!  The meetup location is Babe's on N. Genesee St at noon.  It focuses on the construction of the viaduct and Court St interchange on the north-south arterial and includes many sites in the area.

The main tour includes the arterial construction, a couple abandoned bridges, the marcy-SUNY IT Parkway, clinches of NY 825 and NY 840, and more.
Main tour notes: http://nysroads.com/files/utrm15.pdf

There is also the possibility, depending on interest, of either a morning or evening tour featuring Herkimer County, including the Moss Road bridge over the canal, an old NY 5 bridge, a clinch of NY 171, the NY 5S freeway, and more. This tour would be hosted by Mark Sinsabaugh.

RSVP here or on the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/404859499677782/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

considering that I'm at my road meet cap, I won't be at this one.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Duke87

Babe's... is that the place with the old embossed NY 87 shield on the wall? It sounds familiar.

At any rate, due to relative proximity to home my attendance is likely. Not for any morning extracurriculars, though, since it's a day trip.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadgeek Adam

Am interested. Will depend on ride.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on December 30, 2014, 01:53:33 PM
Babe's... is that the place with the old embossed NY 87 shield on the wall? It sounds familiar.

At any rate, due to relative proximity to home my attendance is likely. Not for any morning extracurriculars, though, since it's a day trip.
Indeed, Babe's was the site of the last Utica meet.

I have a reasonable shot at attending, though the lack of steamed hams is discouraging. Mmm, steamed hams.

yanksfan6129

I am, presumably, in. But it depends on my finals workload (well, it is senior spring...)

vdeane

I've updated the OP to include the full tour information and a link to the Facebook page.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

Wish I could go but will be in Dayton, OH for a toy show that weekend. Will be there in spirit :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cu2010

Eh, this is close enough to home. Maybe.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Laura

Ooh, I'd like to do this. I'm a maybe for now, though, since this will also be near my finals time (and is outside of MD and adjacent states).

froggie

Doubt I can make this for reasons similar to Laura.  Hard to break away for a day during the semester....it's also a 5 hour one-way trip from here.

Buffaboy

If I'm not busy with finals maybe I'll drop in... What happens at a road meet?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Alps

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 10, 2015, 11:43:28 PM
*pulls out a Card Against Humanity*
Harry Potter erotica. That is what happens at a road meet.

vdeane

Specifically, Hermione/Bellatrix slash where we find out what REALLY happened when they were captured in book 7.

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 10, 2015, 11:43:28 PM
I actually keep old meet notes for the ones I host on my website.  Here's last year's Corning/Elmira meet: http://www.nysroads.com/corn14.php

The Harry Potter erotica, however, stays only in our minds ;)

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on January 11, 2015, 02:10:55 PM
Specifically, Hermione/Bellatrix slash where we find out what REALLY happened when they were captured in book 7.
The Harry Potter erotica, however, stays only in our minds ;)
You know... that usually means "not typed out"

vdeane

I hate to break up a lovely thread of Harry Potter erotica, but the tour notes for the main tour should be ready to post online in the next couple of days.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on March 30, 2015, 08:56:11 PM
I hate to break up a lovely thread of Harry Potter erotica, but the tour notes for the main tour should be ready to post online in the next couple of days.
Then let us continue to discuss it until you're ready.

vdeane

Duke87

"Schuyler Street has the Conrail Railroad line running right through the center of the street"

Protip: despite their name persisting on all sorts of signage, Conrail has not existed since 1999. That line is operated by CSX today.

vdeane

I guess we can now start an "Incorrect Rail Lines on Google Maps" thread.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on March 31, 2015, 08:27:28 PM
"Schuyler Street has the Conrail Railroad line running right through the center of the street"

Protip: despite their name persisting on all sorts of signage, Conrail has not existed since 1999. That line is operated by CSX today.
That's odd, because one of our projects include Conrail lines and we have coordinated with both CSX and Norfolk Southern. Protip: Conrail still exists.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on April 01, 2015, 07:24:12 PM
That's odd, because one of our projects include Conrail lines and we have coordinated with both CSX and Norfolk Southern. Protip: Conrail still exists.

So I just looked it up and... it's weird. Conrail as a rail operator ceased existence in 1999 as I mentioned, with its assets being divided between NS and CSX. But apparently there are some areas where NS and CSX share track, and for legal reasons these sections of track are owned by Conrail which in turn is jointly owned by NS and CSX.

In other words, Conrail still exists on paper, but not in any way that's meant to be visible to the public.

But the point still stands that that section of track in Utica is all CSX, not a shared asset. It therefore is incorrectly marked as Conrail.

vdeane

I have updated the tour notes to account for the removal of the Hoag Road bridge and the addition of a couple more interesting things in Utica. I am considering moving the start time of the meet to 11 AM to give more time to the Herkimer County tour after the meet. If there are any objections, please comment; I anticipate making a final decision in the next couple days.

Duke87

As I mentioned on Facebook, if lunch starts at 11 I'll be skipping lunch and meeting people for the tour. I cannot within reason make it to Utica by 11. Even making it there by noon is pushing it in terms of how early I have to wake up.

cu2010

I'm in the same boat...since I'd be doing a day trip, and considering its a three-hour drive from here (longer depending on traffic...it is all two-lane roads, after all), I'd already have to be out the door before 9 just to arrive for a noon lunch.

As it is, I wouldn't be sticking around for a Herkimer County tour, because I'd be booking it back home.

I could come down Friday and stay the night, but I'm cheap. :pan:
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.