News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by GCrites - Today at 12:02:29 PM
We've also developed a big problem with invasive bush honeysuckle along our roadways over the past 10 years.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Illinois notes
Last post by CtrlAltDel - Today at 11:51:24 AM
Quote from: Rick Powell on April 17, 2024, 07:13:31 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on April 17, 2024, 07:08:21 PMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/uAD2mhbY7zLPuhFR9?g_st=ic

That is the one in question for the Marion-57/24 split segment. Might be able to squeeze it in under. Pretty sure that is a BNSF-owned line, but don't quote me on that

Looks like room to spare to add a 12' lane and 12' inside shoulder, and maybe widen the outside shoulder a little, if everything is widened to the inside.

There should definitely be enough space, at least for Interstate-standard lanes and shoulders.

Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by wanderer2575 - Today at 11:48:37 AM
£50  -->  M-50 in Jackson:

Off-Topic / Re: Business Marquees which fe...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 11:35:18 AM
What would be the point of that?  There are several segments of 710 in California signed as Interstate that aren't part of the system.  Is anyone traveling on Terminal Island or north of I-10 hurt by presence of Interstate shields on those segments?
Off-Topic / Re: Business Marquees which fe...
Last post by mgk920 - Today at 11:27:07 AM
I'm thinking that they only enforce it as a way of preventing state and local highway guys from prematurely posting roads as interstates.

Mike
Last post by Rothman - Today at 11:18:08 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on Today at 10:11:23 AMDOTs aren't landscape architects, if you want pretty interstates call a landscape architect  :-D

Wrong.  DOTs have environmental units staffed with landscape architects.

NYSDOT is currently trying to implement more wildflower seeding/native pollinator support and is using in-house landscape architects to do so.
You guys expect way too much diplomacy out of these forums and road groups. 
I do agree it would be nice to be notified of "deleted" posts.  If a large number of posts are removed, a single moderator note in the thread is sufficient, but if a single post is removed, IMO it is unfair not to give that user an explanation.

I think part of the problem is that from an admin perspective, removed posts are often not actually deleted, but just removed from public view. Despite this, it's usually a permanent action, so it's understandable for affected users to view it the same as a full deletion (and thus, be more likely to take offense to it), while the admin team views it more as just part of their internal processes without fully realizing how drastic the measure seems to other users.
Last post by TempoNick - Today at 11:04:13 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on Today at 10:38:35 AM
Quote from: TempoNick on April 20, 2024, 10:35:37 PMGod forbid we have any attractive greenery on the freeway.
So, ODOT should prioritize... attractive greenery... over safety and reducing crashes that have killed people unnecessarily?

https://highways.dot.gov/safety/rwd/provide-safe-recovery/clear-zones/clear-zones

How many people have been killed by those trees in the last 60 years in the Columbus area? Zero to my knowledge. Those big light towers and their placement is a far greater risk to people than any of that greenery was. Sounds like a makework project to me.
Mountain West / Re: US 70 over San Augustin Pa...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 11:03:02 AM
There still isn't, US 62/180 is plenty adequate between El Paso and Carlsbad as is.  The four lane portion emerging from the New Mexico state line towards Carlsbad is overkill.  I've never struggled to pass anyone in the two lane segments.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.