News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Sports / Re: Arizona Coyotes players ap...
Last post by Rothman - April 18, 2024, 11:20:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2024, 10:55:15 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2024, 10:38:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2024, 04:39:57 PMEven when the Coyotes were in a real arena half the spectators attending were usually fans of visiting teams.  I'm having a hard time deciding if Phoenix was just a bad NHL market it or was just gross mismanagement of the Coyotes franchise that led to the team never getting a foothold.

Moreover, is SLC really a better market?

No, there are way more ideal places for the former Arizona franchise to have landed.  The Golden Knights are more than enough for the entire desert southwest at this point.

That's my suspicion as well.  Baseball, basketball, football, heck, soccer...volleyball...I'm having trouble seeing Utah as some sort of burgeoning center for hockey.
General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by Great Lakes Roads - April 18, 2024, 11:17:28 PM
I-95 north of Philly
The Key Bridge in Baltimore
Last post by Max Rockatansky - April 18, 2024, 10:55:15 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2024, 10:38:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2024, 04:39:57 PMEven when the Coyotes were in a real arena half the spectators attending were usually fans of visiting teams.  I'm having a hard time deciding if Phoenix was just a bad NHL market it or was just gross mismanagement of the Coyotes franchise that led to the team never getting a foothold.

No, there are way more ideal places for the former Arizona franchise to have landed.  The Golden Knights are more than enough for the entire desert southwest at this point.
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Can someone fill me in on ...
Last post by jeffandnicole - April 18, 2024, 10:52:20 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 18, 2024, 10:18:20 PM
Quote from: Big John on April 18, 2024, 10:12:21 PMStill the 1 - Orleans
or
1 is the Loneliest Number - Three Dog Night

Arguably "I'm Not the One" by the Cars would be more appropriate, seeing as how he changed his username away from "1."

Now we'll just sing about pi.

Suggestions and Questions / Re: Slow Forum
Last post by Rothman - April 18, 2024, 10:45:46 PM
Forum's fine.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Michigan Notes
Last post by Rothman - April 18, 2024, 10:44:36 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 18, 2024, 12:54:03 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 17, 2024, 09:34:06 PM
QuoteWhat's the highest speed someone has blown past a state trooper without getting pulled over?

I *have* done 85 in a 70 and had MSP *try* to pull me over. It was just before an exit where the road went downhill out of sight of the officer. I took the exit. The trooper didn't. My driving record didn't get more points on it that day.

Lucky! I was in a similar situation on NY 104 once, definitely speeding but don't remember my speed. I saw the cop pull out behind me, but far enough back that I wasn't sure if he was after me or not. I sure didn't bother to find out, and bailed at the next exit as soon as I got around the bend and out of his view. I turned right ASAP and wound my way back to the highway on backroads just to be sure. A hair raising experience to be sure.
Driving sure seems simpler staying within 10 mph of the speed limit.  Now if only the northeast would raise its speed limits so I could go exactly the speed limit (without substantially affecting my travel time) and make it simpler still; while most places won't pull you over for 5-7 over, some do, and that's even more common with cameras.

They raise the speed limit, people will go 10+ over that...hence the biggest reason why the speed limits are kept low up here.
Last post by Rothman - April 18, 2024, 10:38:35 PM

Southeast / Re: Alabama
Last post by Rothman - April 18, 2024, 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2024, 07:09:26 PMThe better question:  what magical pot of new money is ALDOT going to use to maintain all of their new responsibilities?  It's not like they're flush with cash...even if they drop some other routes as Alex implies.  4-lane roads and big bridges inherently cost more than 2-lane country roads...

If they're savvy, they'd hire a consultant to apply for and then do the subsequent reporting for one of the many discretionary grant programs...
Mid-Atlantic / Re: West Virginia Turnpike
Last post by Rothman - April 18, 2024, 10:28:47 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 18, 2024, 09:30:10 PMYeah, construction and crashes are each in and of themselves able to bring roads to a halt.  That's fairly universal - I don't think many DOTs plan their road widening around "the road will still flow freely if we close a lane for whatever reason".

Heck, I dealt with that just yesterday - a crash shut down a lane on I-87 north at the Twin Bridges and cascaded into stop and go traffic all the way down to I-90 along both I-87 and all alternate routes.  What was normally a 10 minute trip from work to the grocery store took half an hour (and I couldn't go straight home, which would have worked fine since my main alternate is entirely diagonal east-west roads that are useless for getting north of the Hudson, because it was go grocery shopping or starve).  NY isn't racing to widen it, even with something like this (granted, this was an unusually severe example - normally US 9 at least moves, and normally the backup doesn't cascade from exit 5 to exit 2 in the time it takes me to walk from my computer to the car) happening once or twice a month.

^This.

I mean, I-91 in MA carries 50,000 AADT in the vicinity of Northampton and Amherst (larger population combined than Putnam County and closer to a much larger metro area to its south than dinky Charleston and dinkier Huntington) and only has one parallel route (US 5/MA 10).  Four lanes.  And sure, incidents cause issues everywhere.

And I've been traveling the I-79/I-64 corridor between Morgantown and Huntington pretty darned frequently for decades.  Sure, there's some traffic on I-64 between Charleston and Huntington.  Ooooooo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.