AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 11:03:27 AM 
Started by TMETSJETSYT - Last post by 1
Even on a Mac, I find Apple Maps inferior to Google Maps with two exceptions:

1. Apple Maps is an app, and Google Maps is a website. This means that Google Maps clogs browser history. Because of this, I pretty much always use Google Maps in private browsing mode to avoid clogging history.

2. Apple Maps's transit layer is better than Google Maps.

on: Today at 11:01:52 AM 
Started by rickmastfan67 - Last post by 74/171FAN
(For I-70)  PennDOT - District 12 News: Interstate 70 Traffic Pattern Changes and Weekend Closures

(For I-79)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Southbound I-79 Neville Island Bridge Weekend Closure August 19-22

on: Today at 11:00:04 AM 
Started by TMETSJETSYT - Last post by Rothman
Don't spam the forum to increase your rank.

on: Today at 10:56:02 AM 
Started by CoolAngrybirdsrio4 - Last post by skluth
^^ I think you might be thinking ON 401 will get closer to the bridge than it will.  Note that the west end of ON 402 isn't where the bridge touches down, but the pavement/speed limit change inside exit 1, and it's likely that the Michigan side will be signed simply "Canadian flag/Bridge to Canada".

I'm glad you shared Canadian flag/"Bridge to Canada". That's the best idea I've seen and I'm glad Michigan is already using it. Elegant and simple. I like it.

on: Today at 10:37:19 AM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by Kniwt
This plus having to use copious amounts of zoom to get past a dirty windshield.  The iPhone 7 was what I was using in 2020 and it really didnít take solid images of small font at speed. 

Got it; thanks.

on: Today at 10:32:55 AM 
Started by swbrotha100 - Last post by Pink Jazz
Looks like Gilbert has been introducing new dark blue illuminated street blades with a custom font. Early versions had their town logo in color, but the newest installations now have their logo in a white outline. Chandler has had its distinctive brown illuminated street blades for years, and Mesa in recent years has introduced branding to its street blades at signalized intersections, so Gilbert is now following suit.

Where have you seen the new Gilbert street blades? I live in Queen Creek and wish they would brand their street signs/blades like most cities do.

They are on the illuminated signs at the traffic lights. Most of them are in South Gilbert, although some have recently started to pop up north of the 202.

on: Today at 10:26:48 AM 
Started by Astada - Last post by Dirt Roads
Mentioned beforehand, my trip home to Richmond from a railroad project in Shattuc, Illinois was a 28-hour whirlwind.  It was back in the NMSL days, so I decided to take a more southerly route using the Mountain Parkway and US-460 through Eastern Kentucky and Southwestern Virginia on the way home.  To allow for higher speeds, I took I-64 all the way back.  I was staying in Salem, Illinois so I didn't make the full trip back into Clinton County.  I was supposed to get to leave on a Thursday afternoon after the whistle blew at 3:30PM CDT; instead, we worked a bunch of overtime clean through to 7PM CDT on Saturdays.  I had been away from home for more than two weeks and needed to get back to pay my bills.

Some caveats before I get started.  I'm guessing that it took about 4 hours to get to Louisville that night, given that I would have stopped for quick dinner along the way.  It makes sense to count the 24-hours on the front end of the trip to pick up the additional county (Clinton, Illinois).  No matter how I slice it, the Mountain Parkway cuts off of I-64 in Clark County, Kentucky and that county plus all of those west of there don't count on the way back.  Fortunately, it is standard here at AARoads to include independent cities in the list of counties (which lets me pick up Salem, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Richmond, Waynesville and Covington).  Some of those don't seem fair, so feel free to throw darts (I won't be offended).

Illinois (5 counties)
Indiana (10 counties)
Kentucky eastbound (14 counties)
Virginia eastbound (2 counties)
West Virginia eastbound (1 county)
Virginia eastbound (14 counties and independent cities)
four-hour sleepover (enough time to do a load of laundry!)
Virginia westbound (12 counties and independent cities, excluding Richmond city again)
West Virginia westbound (8 counties)
Kentucky westbound (5 more counties, ending before the Mountain Parkway)

Grand total of 71 counties and independent cities (my spreadsheet says 72, so I might be missing one in the counts).  Subtracting one from my spreadsheet, I went through a total of 93 counties and independent cities on the entire 28-hour trip (including duplicates), and crossed over 104 county borders along the way (including all of the ins-and-outs). 

By the way, you can't make that same trip anymore.  I took Chesterfield SR-754 (Old Hundred Road/Coalfield Road) to cross over between US-360 at Brandermill -to- US-60 in downtown Midlothian, but that road has since been bisected by the VA-288 freeway and no longer goes all the way through.  Oh yeah, I had been gone so long that the Postal Service retrieved all of my mail and marked it "Return to Sender" (big ouch).  I had to grab all of my previous bills and work out the details while on the next leg of my travels.  All I got to show for my efforts was a clean load of laundry and an extra half-day of rest in order to meet the Hours of Service laws.

on: Today at 10:14:55 AM 
Started by Alex - Last post by roadman65
Does anyone recall the nature of the 3-2-3 traffic configuration of the upper deck of the GWB as seen in the 1972 Maude Sitcom opener?

Speaking of which, in that opening at 0:28, what road is that?

Thatís a good question.  It could be a highway in just about any state.

I believe the final road on this, the neighborhood of Maudeís house is in California.   In the shows closer, the red no parking curbs give that one away as New York ( or any state on the East Coast for that matter) donít use anything but yellow curbs for no parking.

on: Today at 10:11:34 AM 
Started by TMETSJETSYT - Last post by abefroman329
Google Maps - it does a fine job routing me around backups, and it appears to have some of the same features as Waze (warnings of speed traps, speed cameras, etc.).  I'm not even sure if Waze is supported by CarPlay - if it's not, it would be a non-starter.

The only time I've ever used Apple Maps was back at the end of 2012, when Apple decided to get rid of the Google Maps app.  That whole situation was such a fustercluck that I'm not going to rely on Apple Maps again.

on: Today at 10:06:00 AM 
Started by Alex - Last post by roadman65
https://goo.gl/maps/fz9vmSfPV52fkLQr6

I see the latest pass of the Google Car shows the shield replacements in progress at US 1.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.